Thread: Cheap, decent spec chinese phones?

Feedback Score

Cheap, decent spec chinese phones?

I've never taken a good look at some of those off brand chinese phones like umidigi, but wow the pricing on some of them is tempting, I've actually used a Blu r1 hd on and off for almost a year and it's surprisingly been a trooper and I dare to say the only Android smartphone under $100 that hasn't really slowed down, I'm not sure how Blu is in comparison to umidigi, but Blu is based in Miami at least, is that means anything. So what gives.? Theese direct to consumer Chinese phones can't be profitable and they're not making anything on service plans, so

Are these phones their door to spying and harvesting data?
    What about security patches? (actually my Blu has a later security patch than my TracFone LG Fiesta)

Is the pretty much stock Android and no carrier bloatware the reason why my Blu r1 hd has been pretty solid in comparison to cheap carrier branded Androids of a similar price?

I am starting to become more concerned with security as I use more of Google to store sensitive info (Google drive, chrome, Google photos)

Any insight!!?? Thanks .

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The Chinese are really bad when it comes to spying and data theft.

You can't even trust that it has the security patch level it claims to have. Some of the "updates" just change what date it claims to be patched for in the settings but don't actually patch anything.

Feedback Score
    I think these cheap decent Chinese phones tell us just how inexpensive manufacturing costs are for cellphones these days. Pretty amazing how Sammy and Apple have us programmed to keep paying more and more for a cellphone every year or two. LED TVs came down in price after a few years but cellphone prices seem to keep increasing with diminishing returns. I wonder what the actual cost difference is between putting 32GB of memory in a cellphone compared to say 128GB.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Buy any of those phones and you get what you pay for. Maybe a good bargain but no warranty. You have to do some home work to make sure it supports the bands you need.

That being said, I picked up a few off brand phones that were good for the price. The irulu geoking max 3 I am using right now has the basic AT&T bands, 3 gig of ram and dual sim with 2nd sim capable of 3g. Cheap mediatek cpu but 6 inch screen and 4000 mah battery for the sale price of $79.

I also have a leeco le pro 3 x727 which has 4 GB ram, 4000 mah battery and snapdragon 821 cpu which I picked up for $180. If you can get a Samsung S7 for about that price, it could be comparable power wise. As for bands, just AT&T but has bands 29 and 30 along with the standard set.

Right now I am tracking the progress of the Xiaomi Mix 2 and 2s. These phone have the snapdragon 835 and 845 cpus and 6 gig of ram. With expected black Friday discounts and sales, might make a viable poor man Samsung S8/S9. With the site wide 15% off coupon on eBay last week, the 2s could have been had for under $360.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 11-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Buy any of those phones and you get what you pay for. Maybe a good bargain but no warranty. You have to do some home work to make sure it supports the bands you need.

That being said, I picked up a few off brand phones that were good for the price. The irulu geoking max 3 I am using right now has the basic AT&T bands, 3 gig of ram and dual sim with 2nd sim capable of 3g. Cheap mediatek cpu but 6 inch screen and 4000 mah battery for the sale price of $79.

I also have a leeco le pro 3 x727 which has 4 GB ram, 4000 mah battery and snapdragon 821 cpu which I picked up for $180. If you can get a Samsung S7 for about that price, it could be comparable power wise. As for bands, just AT&T but has bands 29 and 30 along with the standard set.

Right now I am tracking the progress of the Xiaomi Mix 2 and 2s. These phone have the snapdragon 835 and 845 cpus and 6 gig of ram. With expected black Friday discounts and sales, might make a viable poor man Samsung S8/S9. With the site wide 15% off coupon on eBay last week, the 2s could have been had for under $360.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app
    I am starting to worry about security more and more, it didn't used to bother me but I have some important stuff in Google drive, pics of kids/family, contacts...i don't know if they can data mine Google apps but I'm guessing... Yes, for sure.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think all phones are made in China now aside from maybe Sony(Japan? ) and HTC(Taiwan?).

Plus it's pretty well known that Google and Facebook are probably selling your data. Can't trust anyone.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I think all phones are made in China now aside from maybe Sony(Japan? ) and HTC(Taiwan?).

Plus it's pretty well known that Google and Facebook are probably selling your data. Can't trust anyone.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    So are iPhones but you never hear of sessions of security breaches, that's why I said cheap, of brand chinese phones.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My family is Chinese and my uncle told me companies like Xiaomi make most of their money from software (at least in China). The software consists of ads, software subscriptions, etc. The fact that they sell phones with good specs at a low price would agree with my uncle. Chinese companies probably do mine data from phones. I wouldn't really trust Chinese companies all that much since Huawei and other Chinese companies have been caught cheating in phone benchmarks. 360 security which is the biggest software company in China was also caught cheating on their anti-virus software as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I think these cheap decent Chinese phones tell us just how inexpensive manufacturing costs are for cellphones these days. Pretty amazing how Sammy and Apple have us programmed to keep paying more and more for a cellphone every year or two. LED TVs came down in price after a few years but cellphone prices seem to keep increasing with diminishing returns. I wonder what the actual cost difference is between putting 32GB of memory in a cellphone compared to say 128GB.
    Funny how Apple suddenly stopped disclosing sales figures. The higher the price, the longer poor consumers will hold on to their phone.

If all your apps run fine with no slow down and the battery still holds a decent charge, why get a new phone?

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Funny how Apple suddenly stopped disclosing sales figures. The higher the price, the longer poor consumers will hold on to their phone.

If all your apps run fine with no slow down and the battery still holds a decent charge, why get a new phone?

Perhaps it's not your money, why does that bother you so , should they also drive a 30 year old Toyota because it runs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Perhaps it's not your money, why does that bother you so , should they also drive a 30 year old Toyota because it runs?

No it doesn't bother me. I'm just stating why there is a worldwide decline in flagship smartphone sales.

In the old days we would upgrade our phones every year because the new models had all the new bells and whistles. In recent years the phones have hit the 800 dollar mark, making annual upgrades unlikely with the working class.

And yes, people would drive a 30 year old Toyota if it is in Mint condition and has less than 50,000 miles. People always give the thumbs up to people who drive mint condition vintage cars. But if your Toyota is 30 years old and all beat up with Sun damage, NO because the neighbors will look down on you.

I'm talking about using a phone for a few years, not 30 years. Lets make reasonable comparisons. Cars and phones are very different. Most of us cannot afford to upgrade a car every year.
    Last edited by munkala; 11-28-2018 at 02:41 PM.