Thread: Any word on T-Mobile TV / Layer 3 availability?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S (JB) with int'l unlimited plan
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score

Any word on T-Mobile TV / Layer 3 availability?

It’s been nearly a year since this was revealed for a 2018 launch.... real or vapor?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Currently Layer 3 is a wireline cable TV service and T-Mobile has hired programers to make it portable or mobile by streaming TV.

" However, during the company’s earnings call, Mike Sievert disclosed that the TV service that T-Mobile launches this year won’t be portable—instead, it will only be available in a fixed location, likely a user’s home.

“We have our heads down creating the first TV service for the 5G era,” boasted T-Mobile’s Sievert of the carrier’s acquisition of Layer3 TV. He said the offering would free users from a cable box and provide them with “hundreds of high definition choices,” and would ultimately connect their TV with their social, digital and mobile life.”

T-Mobile: Mobile TV service from Layer3 won’t launch until next year

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    Guess I shouldn’t hold my breath...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goestoeleven View Post
    Guess I shouldn’t hold my breath...
    There isn't enough bandwidth for HD Video and WISP service over 4G LTE. They need 5G that has 20% to 25% more spectrum efficiency per MB of spectrum for lot's of people that will make this profitable. AT&T and Verizon are using 5G with hockey pucks to access 5G for their WISP that is a temporary plan.

Until Layer 3 get a lot customers they won't get a good price from content developers for TV channels. Comcast that is a runs wireline TV cable owns NBC and a lot of other channels that doesn't want the competition from WISP into the home.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    I was hoping to see a global YouTubeTV competitor so that I can cut the cord and still receive international content

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goestoeleven View Post
    I was hoping to see a global YouTubeTV competitor so that I can cut the cord and still receive international content
    Don't know anything about Layer 3 providing global TV in the plans just USA stations and maybe a few Spanish stations. There are already a ton of streaming services out there now that doesn't have ISP access. Until T-Mobile can provide WISP services Layer 3 is just another streaming service that doesn't provide a internet service provider to get their TV streaming content. Layer 3's Success depends on T-Mobile having WISP service or it isn't going to be cheap enough for real competition to the cable companies.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 11-27-2018 at 11:50 AM.