Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile should keep Sprint 5G Hub after the merger

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile should keep Sprint 5G Hub after the merger

AT&T and Verizon have both announced they are deploying 5G Hubs (Hockey Pucks) into select cities for 5G service to 4G cell phones. T-Mobile is now the one network hold out to this plan that's plan was skipping the 5G Hubs concept and intents for customers to use only 5G Cell phones.

The problem with T-Mobile plan is the old chicken and the egg theory. Customers aren't going to pay extra to buy 5G phones until T-Mobile has 5G spectrum in their area. iPhone isn't expected their first 5G phone until 2020.

T-Mobile plans include several cities that will get 5G in 2019. I think T-Mobile should keep Sprint's HTC 5G Hub if it is designed for T-Mobile's bands. Granted mmWave is still up in the air but T-Mobile has a lot of mmWave spectrum in 6 of the top 25 markets including NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Atlanta and Boston.

Even though this 5G Hub is for home or you can take it to your work it isn't what I call mobile since I am sure it needs electric power. However this Hub will accelerate 5G deployment by allowing customers to use their 4G LTE phones around the Hub. Since Sprint is already going to have it designed and build via HTC and it has a Qualcomm X50 modem I sure don't see a downside to keeping this after the merger.

Sprint & HTC Plan 5G Mobile Hub for First Half of 2019

Feedback Score
    I am in favor of more fixed wireless and portable hotspots from all of the carriers. More is better. I assume that T-Mo wants a piece of the fixed wireless market.

The problem lies in having the capacity to offer it on the existing spectrum below mm-Wave. Unleashing too many fixed or portable hotspots could lead to unacceptable congestion for the handset mobile data users that are the core of their business. Sprint has lots of 2.5 GHz spectrum they could light up for additional capacity, but I don't think they have the money to do it on a widespread basis quickly.

More spectrum, especially mm-Wave, will have to be deployed for this to take off.

My prediction is that there will be more fixed and portable wireless in more places, but not as fast as we would like it.

I have an unlimited LTE hotspot with AT&T and it is great. I could use it for home Internet if I wanted.

Anyone know if the new Verizon "5G" fixed wireless is restricted from being moved to different places? Of course it would only work in locations with their 28 GHz cells.

Feedback Score
    Do you all think it will pass? I'm starting to have doubts at this point

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    Why start to have doubts? Not much is happening in the public eye about it. The DOJ is the vote that counts and they are not saying much of anything, as is proper.

Personally, I think the DOJ will oppose it and sue to stop it on anti-competition grounds. My guess is that the T-Mo buying Sprint deal has a 30% chance of passing. I could be wrong. No one outside of the DOJ knows what they are thinking. We probably will not know until sometime in the first half of 2019. Maybe we could get Jim Acosta to go annoy the DOJ Anti-Trust Division chief to speed things up.

In the mean time we will continue to discuss it because the state and trajectory of wireless is interesting.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why start to have doubts? Not much is happening in the public eye about it. The DOJ is the vote that counts and they are not saying much of anything, as is proper.

Personally, I think the DOJ will oppose it and sue to stop it on anti-competition grounds. My guess is that the T-Mo buying Sprint deal has a 30% chance of passing. I could be wrong. No one outside of the DOJ knows what they are thinking. We probably will not know until sometime in the first half of 2019. Maybe we could get Jim Acosta to go annoy the DOJ Anti-Trust Division chief to speed things up.

In the mean time we will continue to discuss it because the state and trajectory of wireless is interesting.
    I used to think it was a 90% pass chance but I'm more like 20-30% success now.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile should keep Sprint 5G Hub after the merger

Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    I don't think it has as much chance of passing either. Used to feel more confident about it passing. I even thought tmobile was getting a good hint that it wouldn't have much opposition but not so sure now

Even a 1% chance could still pass though so it's all speculation at this point

We should have more of an idea this spring

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I used to think it was a 90% pass chance but I'm more like 20-30% success now.
    I'm at 95%.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    I'm at 95%.
    I hope it passes.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    AT&T and Verizon have both announced they are deploying 5G Hubs (Hockey Pucks) into select cities for 5G service to 4G cell phones. T-Mobile is now the one network hold out to this plan that's plan was skipping the 5G Hubs concept and intents for customers to use only 5G Cell phones.

The problem with T-Mobile plan is the old chicken and the egg theory. Customers aren't going to pay extra to buy 5G phones until T-Mobile has 5G spectrum in their area. iPhone isn't expected their first 5G phone until 2020.

T-Mobile plans include several cities that will get 5G in 2019. I think T-Mobile should keep Sprint's HTC 5G Hub if it is designed for T-Mobile's bands. Granted mmWave is still up in the air but T-Mobile has a lot of mmWave spectrum in 6 of the top 25 markets including NYC, LA, SF, Miami, Atlanta and Boston.

Even though this 5G Hub is for home or you can take it to your work it isn't what I call mobile since I am sure it needs electric power. However this Hub will accelerate 5G deployment by allowing customers to use their 4G LTE phones around the Hub. Since Sprint is already going to have it designed and build via HTC and it has a Qualcomm X50 modem I sure don't see a downside to keeping this after the merger.

Sprint & HTC Plan 5G Mobile Hub for First Half of 2019
    Great find.

I've always wondered why T-Mobile has been very uninterested in the mobile hotspot game especially for their growing Enterprise and Business segments with LTE.

I'd look forward to learning about their plans with these units when it comes to 5G thereafter.

If Sprint let us put one of these on those cheap Kickstarter plans and my market was first on their 5G list I'd totally be game.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm at 95%.
    Agree with you that it is about 95% chance that the DOJ and FCC agrees to the merger. People that don't think the DOJ will agree should read this article. Feds provide boost to Sprint, T-Mobile merger chances

"After studying the Sprint-T-Mobile proposal for more than three months, the Department of Justice, while not yet making a decision on the merger, now believes three carriers are needed to establish a true competitive marketplace, according to a source with direct knowledge of the thinking within the DOJ.

“If without the combination only AT&T and Verizon can offer 5G, they are concerned,” one source said."

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Reports just threw in their two cents against this.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Reports just threw in their two cents against this.
    The FCC and DOJ have already got past the issues from going from four to three National Networks by all DOJ & FCC statements, leaked and news reports. All objections and rebuttals in the merger timeline has passed from outside groups. The pause in the merger was only to review T-Mobile new build out and plan to import Sprint customers and spectrum into T-Mobiles network.

Consumer Reports is nothing but a obsolete and obscure magazine that been replaced by YouTube and other Websites like CNET.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Usually at this late point of the game groups who vocally offer dissent are merely trying to get concessions out of the merger i.e.: promised fixed rates for an extended period of time etc.....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

Consumer Reports is nothing but a obsolete and obscure magazine
    And they became political which is why I cancelled my subscription years ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I have to admit, the "5G" Verizon customers in Houston and LA are receiving does look pretty cool. Perhaps they'll come around, or have insights into a better solution come next year.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast