Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BGR article

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    A Couple of things that steered me away from Apple years ago were:

-The end user could not swap out the battery.

-The end user couldn't add additional memory with a micro SD card.

Unfortunately, many/most Android phones don't allow the battery swap any longer, but the ones I have had recently do allow micro SDs.

However, the one Apple feature that interests me right now is the capability of dual SIM cards. I think it would be pretty sweet to have BOTH AT&T AND Verizon capability in one phone.

Oh, with regard to the battery issue, I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 and have both a Zero Lemon and Mophie battery case. The Mophie will be for "everyday" and the Zero Lemon will be for flights, ATV trips, etc.

Long term future for me will be to eventually switch to AT&T, or Cricket, whenever their footprint "leap-frogs" over Verizon's coverage. Then, I will give some serious consecrations to a Motorola LEX L11 or Sonim XP8. Of course, by the time all that happens, or if it happens, the de facto choices might be Motorola LEX L12 or Sonim XP9! Anyway, the current Motorola LEX L11 or Sonim XP8 allow battery swapping. They are public safety rugged and that is what I want.
    I prefer phones with replaceable batteries, too, but I've only once ever actually replaced one. And that was years ago. I'm always buying new phones (okay, they're cheap) just for fun that I never have the need. Anyway, why not just get an Anker or other battery pack? It gives you more flexibility as far as phone options go and also very useful as you can also power accessories like led lights, portable fans, bt speakers, etc.
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score

BGR Article

Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    ...Anyway, why not just get an Anker or other battery pack? It gives you more flexibility as far as phone options go and also very useful as you can also power accessories like led lights, portable fans, bt speakers, etc...
    Excellent point. I have some Anker products now and they are good quality. I went with a Scosche
    goBAT 6000 for a combination adapter/battery pack. I might need another one, too!

Actually, I want a lithium ion battery pack big enough to jump start cars that also has USB and 12 volt power outlet ports.

https://www.scosche.com/portable-usb...ckup-battery-1

Feedback Score
    Actually, I want a lithium ion battery pack big enough to jump start cars that also has USB and 12 volt power outlet ports.
    I tried one of those. It would not even turn over my 26 HP lawn tractor. I can't think of a way to try it on a car without the car having a bad dead battery.

It came with a cable to charge notebooks. My notebooks do not see it as a charger and don't charge.

It does have dual USB ports. They work great.

The only 12 V out is to the jumper cable clamps.

It is a MeGa. I would avoid it as a car jumper.

It only cost about $30 so I'm not too spun up about it. I went ahead and kept it for phone charging.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Excellent point. I have some Anker products now and they are good quality. I went with a Scosche
    goBAT 6000 for a combination adapter/battery pack. I might need another one, too!

https://www.scosche.com/portable-usb...ckup-battery-1
    Anker sells 400A and 800A models but they aren't cheap.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The interesting thing is that, for all the comments in this thread about Android, Android manufacturers all seem do what Apple does. Ditch the replaceable battery? It's gone, for lots of reasons most of us don't like. OMG the new iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack! Yeah, let's start counting the Android phones that don't have one now. Notch on a phone with a tiny bezel? Check. Android is cheaper? It's not hard to spend iPhone money on the top phones from the likes of Samsung or LG. Fingerprint sensors, app stores, ...

Not saying Apple is the end-all/be-all of mobile phones. I use an iPhone but it's got nothing to do with somebody somewhere declaring iPhones are "hip"; I've been buying and using Apple gear since the days Bill Gates declared 640K was enough for anybody. It's been worth the $$ to me.

Very few Android phones get the Pixel treatment. Maybe most Android users don't care because they buy another phone before OS and security updates are made available for their existing phone; maybe manufacturers see this and figure it's not worth the cost to provide updates; I don't know. But when a phone is the primary computing device for many people, security updates are A Good Thing. There should be more of them available even to older, less expensive phones. And that's an area Android simply does not do as well as Apple because the OS and hardware typically come from different places.

As Jim1348 wrote, it's a good thing that there are two competitive OSes, which make each other stronger. I find it curious that Android phone manufacturers so closely follow Apple's lead. But I guess they're doing it because (most of them) think it will sell phones, regardless of what most of us think.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    The interesting thing is that, for all the comments in this thread about Android, Android manufacturers all seem do what Apple does. Ditch the replaceable battery? It's gone, for lots of reasons most of us don't like. OMG the new iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack! Yeah, let's start counting the Android phones that don't have one now. Notch on a phone with a tiny bezel? Check. Android is cheaper? It's not hard to spend iPhone money on the top phones from the likes of Samsung or LG. Fingerprint sensors, app stores, ...

Not saying Apple is the end-all/be-all of mobile phones. I use an iPhone but it's got nothing to do with somebody somewhere declaring iPhones are "hip"; I've been buying and using Apple gear since the days Bill Gates declared 640K was enough for anybody. It's been worth the $$ to me.

Very few Android phones get the Pixel treatment. Maybe most Android users don't care because they buy another phone before OS and security updates are made available for their existing phone; maybe manufacturers see this and figure it's not worth the cost to provide updates; I don't know. But when a phone is the primary computing device for many people, security updates are A Good Thing. There should be more of them available even to older, less expensive phones. And that's an area Android simply does not do as well as Apple because the OS and hardware typically come from different places.

As Jim1348 wrote, it's a good thing that there are two competitive OSes, which make each other stronger. I find it curious that Android phone manufacturers so closely follow Apple's lead. But I guess they're doing it because (most of them) think it will sell phones, regardless of what most of us think.
    So people that care about security & the latest and greatest OS on their phones who like Android can buy a Pixel phone they are fully supported with upgrades for 3 years and security updates monthly. Most decent Android phone manufacturers will send security updates regularly but Pixel would be the best way to be sure.

The stats for Pie look so poor in relation to iOS because Android wallops iOS market share wise world wide with 75% share and in Asia, Africa and South America has 85-90% market share. In those areas where less than 1 in 10 users has an iPhone does anyone seriously believe that security and the latest OS is the primary concern? If it was they'd all save up for Pixels or iPhones.

The author had so many inaccuracies in that story it was obvious what their bias was. Little things such as using 4 months for the stated time frame which was in fact 2 months and 20 days, overlooking that Google didn't even include Pie data not because it was at zero percent but because it was below .1%. That was clearly stated on the site that the author must have just glanced at. If there was a test after reading the Google data and you answered 0% for the Pie market share you'd have failed.

It's not possible to do a fair comparison of the two systems because one is open source and available free to manufacturers and one is only made, sold and supported by the sole developer.

Feedback Score
    I never really liked the way Iphones looked and felt until Apple started copying the Galaxy line. Thin phones with rounded corners and edges have always felt better to me. I think the Iphone 6 was the first one that felt more like an Android design.

Feedback Score

I think the main reason apple seems to lead with smart phones is because they only make luxury smart phones so they can use more expensive technologies first and later cheaper android phones might get the same technology.

As an example, apple gets rid of the headphone jack first which means you need expensive bluetooth headphones. As the price of bluetooth headphones drop more android phones drop the headphone jack too.

I think this is the main reason you see apple using new tech first because they can more easily do it on expensive phones.

Feedback Score
    I think the whole iphone thing is a case of The Emperor's New Clothes (The Emperor Wears No Clothes).

For the most part iphone users are sheep.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I think the main reason apple seems to lead with smart phones is because they only make luxury smart phones so they can use more expensive technologies first and later cheaper android phones might get the same technology.

As an example, apple gets rid of the headphone jack first which means you need expensive bluetooth headphones. As the price of bluetooth headphones drop more android phones drop the headphone jack too.

I think this is the main reason you see apple using new tech first because they can more easily do it on expensive phones.
    Doesn't Apple copy a lot from other manufactures too? I think the first fingerprint scanner was Motorola, the design of the Iphone 6 and up looks like any other Android phone, Windows had Face Unlock, I think Sammy did wireless charging first, LG had 16:9 screens, Android got rid of a home button a long time ago and the Amoled screen was Sammy. Slim bezels and big screens were definitely on Android devices well before Apple began using them. I think Apple does a great job appearing to be the technology leader with an extremely good advertising team. They even do a great job covering up defects with names like "Touch Screen Disease".
    Last edited by Fishx65; 12-02-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Lets see,IP 67-68 Android first, Wireless charging android first, large screen phones android first. Seems like Apple copies quite a bit off of android too

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW one way or another.
    Feedback Score
    Fragmentation? Is that something important? Or just have nothing good to write about? Safe to use is more important and Android is in the hand of the manufacturers. Use a Google phone to be safe. Unfortunately Google Assistant and AI help bothers me more than fragmentation.
    I have better control over the apps behavior in iOS. I just wish engineering would be just as important as marketing for Apple.

Feedback Score
    With Windows I never use to upgrade until I bought a new PC because I did not want to pay for the upgrade. Now Windows 10 gives free upgrades so I do upgrade Windows 10 usually twice a year.

With android the OS is free so you would think it would be easy to upgrade but I never upgraded the OS on any of my android phones because I was never offered an upgrade from the manufacturer.

If the manufactured used stock android you would think it would be easy to upgrade.

I now have an unlocked moto e4 with near stock nougat so I wonder if that will get an update to the OS.

It would be better if you could get the OS direct from google but not sure what is required to make that happen but seems like it should be possible.

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Android has 2/3rds of market share including that in Germany where they value utility over fashion.

ATT sells $150 phones for $100 as prepaids. They are on sale on Black Friday for $50. Buy one every year and put on Red Pocket. You''ll have spares to use or give away. Fear no toilet or mugger.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raderator View Post
    Android has 2/3rds of market share including that in Germany where they value utility over fashion.

ATT sells $150 phones for $100 as prepaids. They are on sale on Black Friday for $50. Buy one every year and put on Red Pocket. You''ll have spares to use or give away. Fear no toilet or mugger.
    Worldwide iOS has under 25% market share. It's only in North America and a couple of European countries where iOS has more market share.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...ile/worldwide#

Google is far from perfect but they haven't AFAIK purposely slowed performance on older phones to make users believe they need to upgrade.

Apple users seem never to be satisfied that they own a good product. They have to publicly denigrate competing products. On Reddit if someone asks a question about buying a streaming stick which may cost $50 it is guaranteed that one or more Apple TV users will chime in and say they are wasting $50 and should be buying an Apple TV. It reminds me of grammar school more or less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast