Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Google Hangouts (for consumers) to end in 2020

The writing has been on the wall for some time but it looks like there's something closer to an actual timeline now to sunset/deprecate the Hangouts app for consumer users. As rumored, it will live on at the enterprise level.

Let's hope Google will have fixed all the issues with wifi calling using the Google Voice app by then.

https://9to5google.com/2018/11/30/go...shutting-down/

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh, man! Change! Waaa! Lol!

I sure hope they get the Google Voice app perfected by then!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Lol do it boz!!!

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I actually like the all green Hangouts interface, because the GV app looks a lot like the stock Android dialer/contacts.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, maybe I won't have to make a change anytime soon, IF the following is accurate, although it's still confusing about what will happen to Hangouts as I know and use it now, for all my voice and messaging over LTE / Wifi data.

Also, according to https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/hangouts/ , Hangouts has been updated 10 times so far in 2018, so maybe that's a good sign that Hangouts will live on for a while?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...chat-and-meet/
    Yesterday it was reported that Google was planning to sunset Hangouts sometime in 2020. However, according to Scott Johnston, director of product management and realtime comms product lead for G Suite (i.e., the guy who runs Hangouts at Google), that isn't the case. Johnston says there have been "no decisions made about when Hangouts will be shut down." Furthermore, we're told current Hangouts users will be upgraded to Hangouts Chat and Meet.
    https://t.co/QgYfj03ADn
    Hey @hallstephenj, I run Hangouts and this is pretty shoddy reporting. No decisions made about when Hangouts will be shut down. Hangouts users will be upgraded to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Your source is severely misinformed. You can do better.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...chat-and-meet/
    Yesterday it was reported that Google was planning to sunset Hangouts sometime in 2020. However, according to Scott Johnston, director of product management and realtime comms product lead for G Suite (i.e., the guy who runs Hangouts at Google), that isn't the case. Johnston says there have been "no decisions made about when Hangouts will be shut down." Furthermore, we're told current Hangouts users will be upgraded to Hangouts Chat and Meet.
    https://t.co/QgYfj03ADn
    Hey @hallstephenj, I run Hangouts and this is pretty shoddy reporting. No decisions made about when Hangouts will be shut down. Hangouts users will be upgraded to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Your source is severely misinformed. You can do better.
    Yeah, I saw that. So maybe Hangouts will live on for consumers. With Google you just never know what they're going to do. They'll probably come out with a few more messaging apps just to make life interesting.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. So maybe Hangouts will live on for consumers. With Google you just never know what they're going to do. They'll probably come out with a few more messaging apps just to make life interesting.
    Haha! Probably! I've never paid much attention to any of the other Google messaging/chat apps, and I certainly have never tried one of the others, but it's amusing reading what people say about all of them!

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google never met a good app they couldn't kill off.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They're going to take the Hangouts functionality and rename it Google Pay, er Google Wallet, er something else

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    From Google:

Re: Hangouts Classic

In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We have not announced an official timeline for transitioning users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet. We are fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone is successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/ras-Y5TGI40

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    From Google:

Re: Hangouts Classic

In March 2017, we announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences that help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available today for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users, too. We have not announced an official timeline for transitioning users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet. We are fully committed to supporting classic Hangouts users until everyone is successfully migrated to Chat and Meet.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/ras-Y5TGI40
    It's interesting that they don't seem to address replacing the Google Voice + Hangouts VoIP and messaging usage of the current Hangouts. Or maybe I've just missed or not understood that part of these announcements. I'm not sure.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One thing I like about Hangouts calling, when somebody calls my GV number, 2 incoming call notifications come up, I can answer it cellular, or voip via Hangouts, though I really have no reason to answer the Hangouts app, it's still nice to have a choice in case I'm somewhere where only WiFi is available.. With Google voice VoIP, you can't do that, it's either cellular or voip.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...essaging-apps/ is another article on the subject. After reading that, I can't understand WHY Google wants to end "classic" Hangouts, when it can do so much more than any of the other apps.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My experience with voice calling over Hangouts has never been much to write home about. Through two different phone models, I got lots of audible dropouts, whether at home or out wherever there was good solid Wi-Fi.

But I've always liked it as an IM chat app, really only using it with one other user. It used to come standard on Android phones, so I could sometimes bug someone to fire it up and try it out with me. But that ended around Marshmallow or Nougat. No one wants to install it fresh from the Play Store.

I wish they (Google) would have considered finding a way to have the Android Messages app include the ability to do IM over Wi-Fi and data. That would leave it and the GV app as all I'd need in the comms department (GV fully able to do voice calling over Wi-Fi and Cellular data). Those and a good email app.

We'll see what develops.