Thread: FYI for Mobile Internet Plans (iPads & Other Tablets)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FYI for Mobile Internet Plans (iPads & Other Tablets)

Just wanted to share this since it came up yesterday for me—I've been using a T-Mobile Mobile Internet plan with my iPad (the ones that you can either buy at mim.t-mobile.com or on-device). Apparently once T-Mobile did away with the 200MB/month free for life plan, you must reload/pay at least once a year or your account is canceled.

While this is a bit of a "duh" - AT&T purges session-based data accounts after 60 days and Sprint deletes them after a set time, too, I thought buying a $40 refill and loading it on my account and then drawing from that every so often would be good enough.

I've re-added the promotional 5GB/150 days/$10 3 times (last time was in September), so I had $10 left that was waiting to be used sometime in February. I received the "your account has been disconnected" email yesterday, got in touch with T-Mobile (phone support had no idea about these plans, but T-Force did) and that was the reason. Since everything had been deleted, I just signed up again and it says I'm good until the end of April when I'll just manually buy another pass.

I'm only out $10 on the whole thing, and there's probably a line in the ToS (also a grey area when it comes to account balances), so I'm not too upset, but thought I'd pass it along. I'd still consider it the best value out there for low-use tablets, probably only beaten by postpaid add-a-tablet plans and edging out AT&T's 3-month plan.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Just wanted to share this since it came up yesterday for me—I've been using a T-Mobile Mobile Internet plan with my iPad (the ones that you can either buy at mim.t-mobile.com or on-device). Apparently once T-Mobile did away with the 200MB/month free for life plan, you must reload/pay at least once a year or your account is canceled.

While this is a bit of a "duh" - AT&T purges session-based data accounts after 60 days and Sprint deletes them after a set time, too, I thought buying a $40 refill and loading it on my account and then drawing from that every so often would be good enough.

I've re-added the promotional 5GB/150 days/$10 3 times (last time was in September), so I had $10 left that was waiting to be used sometime in February. I received the "your account has been disconnected" email yesterday, got in touch with T-Mobile (phone support had no idea about these plans, but T-Force did) and that was the reason. Since everything had been deleted, I just signed up again and it says I'm good until the end of April when I'll just manually buy another pass.

I'm only out $10 on the whole thing, and there's probably a line in the ToS (also a grey area when it comes to account balances), so I'm not too upset, but thought I'd pass it along. I'd still consider it the best value out there for low-use tablets, probably only beaten by postpaid add-a-tablet plans and edging out AT&T's 3-month plan.
    Are you saying T-Mobile cancelled your 150 day account before the 150 days was up? Why? Had you used up all your data?
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Are you saying T-Mobile cancelled your 150 day account before the 150 days was up? Why? Had you used up all your data?
    Yes and no, the pass was canceled before the 150 days were up and about 2GB of data was used. Apparently the story (from both a phone rep who did know about these plans and T-Force) was that they cancel prepaid (Mobile Internet) accounts a year after the last time any funds were added. It's counterintuitive since there were funds on the account, but apparently having a balance means nothing unless you've added more within that year and that would reset the clock (IIRC this is kind of how some of the AT&T refills work).

Basically, had I not bought a refill card to use on the account and instead bought a 5GB/150 day pass each time (or just before each expires), I would've been fine.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That seems wrong. I can see the balance expiring but not an active plan that still has time and data left. Did you happen to notice if the November 1 expiration date was shown on my.t-mobile.com prior to the account was cancelled?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    That seems wrong. I can see the balance expiring but not an active plan that still has time and data left. Did you happen to notice if the November 1 expiration date was shown on my.t-mobile.com prior to the account was cancelled?
    I agree and tried to verify it a bit more. Last I checked on the plan (maybe a week ago), it still had a February date, putting time and data usage into the acceptable area. Plus, it wasn't just that the data pass ended, it was a complete cancellation of that number and removal from my login. I tried to get more answers, but basically they said there was no abuse/ToS violations and sounded willing to help, but couldn't do much else.

Since I just bought a new pass (and assigned a new number on the same Apple SIM) and everything seems to be working, I'm just moving on, but it was just an odd condition and I wasn't sure if anyone else had heard about it or had it happen. It seems their Mobile Internet plans are kind of an afterthought anyway (separate account management site). Since I was able to renew a supposedly one-time promotional pass a couple of times, I'm taking this as a win-some-lose-some moment and chalking it up to T-Mobile's sometimes screwy billing systems.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FYI for Mobile Internet Plans (iPads & Other Tablets)

I tried for 2 or 3 months to get my iPad on a prepaid data plan on T-Mobile where I could actually go online to check my usage, pay my bill. Never could get it working right. I switched to Mint mobile with their 3 months/$20 deal. Within 15 minutes of popping in the SIM card I had activated it and registered online. I can see my usage, add more data, pay my bill, it's all there. Bye t-mobile.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You put a Mint sim in a tablet? And it worked? I just put mine in and no go. I'm currenty using a Metro by T-Mobile sim in mine with great results. Of course they have the imei attached to it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes it works fine. I was a little nervous, but if you go to their website it lists several iPad models as being supported. Haven't had a problem with it.

Carrier(s)
    tetamovil
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

balance disappears 1 yr from last top-up even if quoted exp date is later?

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    ... that they cancel prepaid (Mobile Internet) accounts a year after the last time any funds were added. It's counterintuitive since there were funds on the account, but apparently having a balance means nothing unless you've added more within that year and that would reset the clock (IIRC this is kind of how some of the AT&T refills work).

Basically, had I not bought a refill card to use on the account and instead bought a 5GB/150 day pass each time (or just before each expires), I would've been fine.
    I wonder if this applies to legacy PAYG voice accounts with an expiration date that is over 1 yr from last top-up, and frankly I doubt there is anybody else with my situation.

recap: I have over $150 in my Gold Rewards acct, and I keep it alive w/ $10 every year, except that for the last few years, the phone top-up system gives me a 3 month expiration date, and I have to call CS to extend that to 1 yr. I forgot to check last year until month 3, and when i called, the rep added 1 yr to my acct (1 yr from date of my call, instead of 1yr from last topup), so now my account will expire 15 months from last top-up. I confirmed this new expiration date in my.t-mobile online and w/ the voice prompts.

I'd like to convert it to a data line eventually, but for now, I wonder if my balance and phone number will disappear at month 12 instead of the quoted expiration date which would land on month 15.

tl;dr For legacy Pay-As-You-Go, would balance disappears 1 yr from last top-up even if quoted exp date is later?

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am on the 2gb/$10 internet only plan. I had a $40 refill that I just added. Will that expire before it is used up? -$10 in approx. 20 days (plan renews on 5th) , 50 days , 80 days , 110 days. So 4th payment will be >90 days out.