Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Freedom Data Down in Toronto?

Anyone else in Toronto with data issues this morning? It's completely down for me, not sure how long it's been down for but it's been at least since 5:00am (St Claire/Pharmacy in particular)

Name:  Screenshot_20181204-073157_LTE%20Discovery.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  39.1 KB

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I guess I must be the only one. Freedom is claiming my local towers are down for maintenance, but since when did they do that during the day? I need to know I have reliable data before I leave this location but they've not been willing to confirm I will and they have no idea of the footprint of the outage

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Apparently I'm not the only one but perhaps the only one that is posting here

According to Freedom now, the issue lies with the Nov 1 security patch on Samsung devices (specifically the A5 and A8), something to do with not being able to connect to 911. So, in their wisdom, they arbitrarily started blocking those devices from connecting to LTE this morning, with no warning or advice to the affected subs. They suggested closing off LTE and switching to 3G (like I haven't tried that multiple times already!), the issue with that is 3G seems to be blocked too, I got no data network of any kind on a scan I just ran.

They claim it will be sorted in 24 hours but I have no reason to believe them. In the mean time, I'm stuck having to find WiFi while I'm out and about so I can get on and do my job.
    Last edited by Mann Incognito; 12-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Markham seems okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    Markham seems okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It turns out it's not a regional issue but a conflict within Samsung's security update for certain devices and 911. They intended to block just LTE from those affected devices but instead are also blocking 3G on BYODs. So, I have absolutely no data and they've just informed me it's going to be 3-5 days before a next level tech can even TALK to me let alone solve the issue.

For the first time in almost 9 years I'm seriously considering leaving Freedom. I've already lost $600 in billing today and the day's not even through yet. How much longer do I have to hang on for and how much money does Freedom think I'm willing to lose before someone qualified enough can be bothered to talk to me?

I've given them until noon tomorrow to have this issue completely resolved. There's no reason why it can't be, they know what it is and what's causing it, so why is it so hard to fix it? Why do I need to talk to a higher level tech, they've already acknowledged they know what the issue is, why don't they just get on and sort it out, FFS??!!

As you can probably tell, I'm royally PO'd!

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why not consider to upgrade to a different device?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    Why not consider to upgrade to a different device?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    I have thought about that, but to do that I'd have to shift to another plan and I'd lose full US roaming amongst other things. If I lose that, I might as well move on to another carrier which I'm quite willing to do if the issue isn't resolved by noon Wednesday, I have to. But I'm not losing the benefits without a fight!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As Freedom have not responded to my last two attempts to reach out to them I'm starting my search for a new carrier, any suggestions?

Needs are:

10GB+, US calling from Canada (I've noticed this is no longer listed by most carriers including Freedom), all the usual unlimited stuff, decent US roaming rates and most important of all, reliable service!

Heading out this afternoon to get it done, I'd just like some opinions if possible.

Shame, been with them for nearly 9 years and was quite enjoying the level of service improvements over the last 4 or 5 years. But I need reliable service, I can't take the chance that something like this will happen again and I see no evidence that other carriers are experiencing the same issues (It's become quite apparent to me that the LTE and 3G issues are different from one another but borne of the same decision making).

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Too bad, you just missed the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Promos...

Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    As Freedom have not responded to my last two attempts to reach out to them I'm starting my search for a new carrier, any suggestions?

Needs are:

10GB+, US calling from Canada (I've noticed this is no longer listed by most carriers including Freedom), all the usual unlimited stuff, decent US roaming rates and most important of all, reliable service!

Heading out this afternoon to get it done, I'd just like some opinions if possible.

Shame, been with them for nearly 9 years and was quite enjoying the level of service improvements over the last 4 or 5 years. But I need reliable service, I can't take the chance that something like this will happen again and I see no evidence that other carriers are experiencing the same issues (It's become quite apparent to me that the LTE and 3G issues are different from one another but borne of the same decision making).

Cheers!
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    Too bad, you just missed the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Promos...
    I can get most of their offers simply by asking and/or by threatening to walk off and go somewhere else. Going to try by phone tomorrow, I've always found that a better way to go once you've got all the info you need.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So you saying then you have strong chances of getting an expired Black Friday Promo Price plan & offers simply by calling tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I can get most of their offers simply by asking and/or by threatening to walk off and go somewhere else. Going to try by phone tomorrow, I've always found that a better way to go once you've got all the info you need.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    So you saying then you have strong chances of getting an expired Black Friday Promo Price plan & offers simply by calling tomorrow?
    I'm not saying I could get a better deal, I'm saying I have better control of the conversation with a call. Besides, I don't need to reply on CSRs writing down the correct info when I ask them to, I just record the conversation, it keeps things far more accurate. It helps that I'm considered a returning customer for both Bell and Rogers, they are much more open to negotiating when they think you're a previous customer.

Besides, I actually stopped looking for another deal when I found out that this issue wasn't just Freedom related, that many carriers worldwide had experienced issues similar to the one I was experiencing, (although I was at the extreme end of the deal). I have data now, albeit 3G+ and the patch has been installed, just waiting for Freedom to push the right buttons and re-launch LTE to the affected devices.