Thread: Fido eSIM support on iOS12.1.1?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Vancouver Fido eSIM support on iOS12.1.1?

So Apple dropped a new update outlining eSIM support for new Carriers including Fido (& Rogers). Any idea when we can hop on the eSIM bandwagon?

I was actually holding off on buying an XR just for this reason. Currently carrying two iPhones - personal iPhone 7 on Fido and an embarrassingly old iPhone 6 issued from work on Telus.

Fido, come on and make my day already!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried to switch my $15/3GB line to the eSIM on my iPad Pro, and the rep had no idea what I was talking about. After 15 mins of him checking, he came back saying it isn't supported. I showed him the link on Apple's site and still said it's not supported...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by euroeuro View Post
    I tried to switch my $15/3GB line to the eSIM on my iPad Pro, and the rep had no idea what I was talking about. After 15 mins of him checking, he came back saying it isn't supported. I showed him the link on Apple's site and still said it's not supported...
    Can you please post the link?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am interested to transfer my Fido data only plan to eSim, too.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    Can you please post the link?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204039#usa

Also, if you just google for the iOS 12.1.1 update, there's a tonne of press coverage mentioning it.

And...here's a screengrab.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 00.53.48.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  25.9 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    As far as I am aware of, it's just Bell and Virgin that supports the eSim feature.
    What will you do without us?
    All the info on everything you need to know in the GSM world! :evileye:

Current Settings:
    Phones Own
    Apple iPhone X - Fido
    Samsung Galaxy S8 - Virgin Mobile
    Sony Xperia XA1 - Freedom Mobile

Service Plans
    $40 Fido Standard Plan + $50 Fido Unlimited Data Plan
    Virgin Mobile $60.00 Unlimited Canada Voice + 10GB Data Plan
    Freedom Mobile $49.00 Unlimited Canada Voice + 6GB Data Plan

FEEDBACK : http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=848396

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by euroeuro View Post
    Have you switched to esim successfully?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    Have you switched to esim successfully?

Fido / Rogers doesn’t support yet... You’ll have to wait...

Feedback Score

Little teaser

eSim working in Canada!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xanta View Post
    eSim working in Canada!?
    I don’t even know how to respond to this dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like Apple had updated their website and then Rogers / Fido rolled back the support....

Only one left out after this is Telus / Koodo --- but they know enough people are doing the loopholes for out of province plans, that they would rather keep those people than to give them any other options like roaming with a second SIM lol
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes
    Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Looks like Apple had updated their website and then Rogers / Fido rolled back the support....

Only one left out after this is Telus / Koodo --- but they know enough people are doing the loopholes for out of province plans, that they would rather keep those people than to give them any other options like roaming with a second SIM lol
    For now, it might be just as well that the Canadian carriers can't figure eSims out (which isn't surprising since they aren't technology companies and need a fair bit of hand holding from their partners). Using the physical SIMs from the carrier leaves the eSIM open for getting a local eSIM when you travel or using a service line GigSky (or RoamMobility once they are up and running with eSIMs).
    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to...e-xr-dual-sim/

Depending on how long you are away and how much data you need, the rates from gigSky aren't horrible.

Canada, United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands

• 300MB – $10 – 1 Day
    • 500MB – $15 – 15 Days
    • 1GB – $20 – 15 Days
    • 2GB – $30 – 15 Days
    • 5GB – $50 – 30 Days

At those rates, it would be cheaper to add on data even in Canada if you are getting close to your Canadian allotment, given the big 3 charge $100/GB overages. Looks like Europe and Asia are the same prices, while the Caribbean is a little higher priced.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Fido eSIM support on iOS12.1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    For now, it might be just as well that the Canadian carriers can't figure eSims out (which isn't surprising since they aren't technology companies and need a fair bit of hand holding from their partners). Using the physical SIMs from the carrier leaves the eSIM open for getting a local eSIM when you travel or using a service line GigSky (or RoamMobility once they are up and running with eSIMs).
    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to...e-xr-dual-sim/

Depending on how long you are away and how much data you need, the rates from gigSky aren't horrible.

Canada, United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands

• 300MB – $10 – 1 Day
    • 500MB – $15 – 15 Days
    • 1GB – $20 – 15 Days
    • 2GB – $30 – 15 Days
    • 5GB – $50 – 30 Days

At those rates, it would be cheaper to add on data even in Canada if you are getting close to your Canadian allotment, given the big 3 charge $100/GB overages. Looks like Europe and Asia are the same prices, while the Caribbean is a little higher priced.
    Yeah those rates are horrible. They’re high because they were marked up by Canadian telecom players before they were offered to travel SIM service providers and roaming partners.

I’m pretty sure once eSIM is resolved, the landscape for data pricing isn’t going to change much. And even if it does and people begin split access(data eSIM from one provider and calls+text from another provider), the players will find another way to increase margins. They’ll probably increase the price for call+txt only lines. Just like they did when they gradually hikes the rates of the connection fees over the years.

The thing is even if you use GigSky to get cheaper overage data, they still win because part of that is just marked up roaming revenue that goes back to them.

Also, need I mention in light of recent articles regarding the CRTC mandating Canadian telco to release ‘affordable’ data only plans to the Canadian market. The suggested/rumored pricing for these plans is already higher than the pricing being current led offered by telcos to their current customers.

Nothing is going to change unless foreign players are allowed to come in and crush Telus, Bell and Rogers. There is no other solution. This won’t happen as long as we have Ian Scott (Ex Telus executive) chairing the CRTC, so this pipe dream of laxing telecoms grip off Canadian internet continues to be just a pipe dream.

Canadian telecom impedes innovation and access to affordable mobile internet in the most uncanadian way possible and must be dismantled in the interest of the country’s people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xTowndude; 01-14-2019 at 04:47 PM.