Thread: Turning off Freedompop auto top up

Feedback Score

Turning off Freedompop auto top up

I got an email today saying they added $15.00 to my account so I would not have any interruption of service. When I check my credit card they actually charged $20.00 plus tax. I had a credit on my account from awhile back for $15.00. Don't know why they charged me when I had a credit balance on my account.
    I had top up activate as I wanted to see if they would use my $15.00 credit when my data went down to zero. That of course did not happen.
    I am trying now to turn off auto top up. When I do it, I get a message to buy into there safety mode feature. So how do I get past that so I can turn off top up?
    I have the Freedompop free plan. I only use it for data on my tablet. No phone calls, no texts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I got an email today saying they added $15.00 to my account so I would not have any interruption of service. When I check my credit card they actually charged $20.00 plus tax. I had a credit on my account from awhile back for $15.00. Don't know why they charged me when I had a credit balance on my account.
    I had top up activate as I wanted to see if they would use my $15.00 credit when my data went down to zero. That of course did not happen.
    I am trying now to turn off auto top up. When I do it, I get a message to buy into there safety mode feature. So how do I get past that so I can turn off top up?
    I have the Freedompop free plan. I only use it for data on my tablet. No phone calls, no texts.
    If you had a Top Up balance, you have to reactivate it every 30 days or it goes inactive. I think you lose it if it is inactive for 90 days.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    its been my understanding that FP does not allow such usage, that you MUST use SOME voice minutes within a 60 day period to maintain the FP free plan, otherwise it will be canceled. I am basically doing the same thing, an FP free plan primarily for tablet data, but I make sure to make a voice call at least once every 30 days (2mins) just to keep it alive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    its been my understanding that FP does not allow such usage, that you MUST use SOME voice minutes within a 60 day period to maintain the FP free plan, otherwise it will be canceled. I am basically doing the same thing, an FP free plan primarily for tablet data, but I make sure to make a voice call at least once every 30 days (2mins) just to keep it alive.
    It is 5 minutes of completed outgoing calls OR 5 MB of data in 30 days or a month.

Feedback Score
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.

Feedback Score
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.
    Same, except since 2016.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I've been using FredomPop since 2013. I've had as many as 7 lines at times but I'm down to just 2 currently. I've had lines suspended for non-use but was able to reactivate them at my.freedompop.com. None of my FreedomPop lines has ever been cancelled involuntarily.

Except for testing it briefly, I do not use the FreedomPop app. FreedomPop is a data only service for me. I use it with Hangouts for calls and messages.

Currently, the only FreedomPop products I recommend are the prepaid 3 and 12 month SIMs from Amazon, Best Buy or Target. If you use those and do not give FreedomPop a credit or debit card you should be safe from unexpected charges.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Yes, but did you use at least 5 MB of data? The usage requirement is calls OR data.

I got the 5 calls OR 5 MB of data requirement from FP support on Twitter. I had a line that got suspended and the online resume would only work for short periods. Their system was not seeing/reporting my usage and kept showing zero use. They reset it or something and it has been fine* since.

* Well, as fine as 200 MB is. Which is nearly worthless.

Feedback Score
    Well good news. I posted on the FP Community forum. They reactivated the $15.00 credit I had and they refunded me $20.00. I did not get the $1.10 which they claim are admin fees, regulatory fees. And they tell me I can not turn off auto top up unless I sign up for the safety mode feature which is 6.99.

Feedback Score
    Well good news. I posted on the FP Community forum. They reactivated the $15.00 credit I had and they refunded me $20.00. I did not get the $1.10 which they claim are admin fees, regulatory fees. And they tell me I can not turn off auto top up unless I sign up for the safety mode feature which is 6.99.
    That's good news about the refund!

About disabling FP auto topup. those rules have changed so many times, I have no idea what works now. I have never bothered to turn it off. The Android phones and tablets I have used with the free FP SIMs all count data almost exactly like FP, and the built-in warning and auto data shut-off all work well enough for me.

Feedback Score
    I somehow accrued 5 Gig of data in the first 2 months. Whenever I would try to cancel the data plan, they would offer to double the data. 3rd month I signed up for data rollover for $3 /mo. Ended up with 2.2G. Now going on 4th month, still have 2.2G after using 150 meg last month.
    Just use it for Email, Google Maps, etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    now they tell me to turn of top up I have to have safety mode and it is charged each month

Feedback Score
    I didn't have any problems with them by signing up for the $3.99 rollover plan. I think the safety mode is $6.99 / mo.
    I did send them $10 deposit to pay for "overages" I only need about 200 meg / mo. so $4 /mo isn't a bad deal for me. With all the abundant free wifi around the city I don't have to use the hotspot all that much.