Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Turning off Freedompop auto top up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    410
    Feedback Score
    0

    Turning off Freedompop auto top up

    I got an email today saying they added $15.00 to my account so I would not have any interruption of service. When I check my credit card they actually charged $20.00 plus tax. I had a credit on my account from awhile back for $15.00. Don't know why they charged me when I had a credit balance on my account.
    I had top up activate as I wanted to see if they would use my $15.00 credit when my data went down to zero. That of course did not happen.
    I am trying now to turn off auto top up. When I do it, I get a message to buy into there safety mode feature. So how do I get past that so I can turn off top up?
    I have the Freedompop free plan. I only use it for data on my tablet. No phone calls, no texts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I got an email today saying they added $15.00 to my account so I would not have any interruption of service. When I check my credit card they actually charged $20.00 plus tax. I had a credit on my account from awhile back for $15.00. Don't know why they charged me when I had a credit balance on my account.
    I had top up activate as I wanted to see if they would use my $15.00 credit when my data went down to zero. That of course did not happen.
    I am trying now to turn off auto top up. When I do it, I get a message to buy into there safety mode feature. So how do I get past that so I can turn off top up?
    I have the Freedompop free plan. I only use it for data on my tablet. No phone calls, no texts.
    If you had a Top Up balance, you have to reactivate it every 30 days or it goes inactive. I think you lose it if it is inactive for 90 days.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,785
    Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I have the Freedompop free plan. I only use it for data on my tablet. No phone calls, no texts.
    its been my understanding that FP does not allow such usage, that you MUST use SOME voice minutes within a 60 day period to maintain the FP free plan, otherwise it will be canceled. I am basically doing the same thing, an FP free plan primarily for tablet data, but I make sure to make a voice call at least once every 30 days (2mins) just to keep it alive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    its been my understanding that FP does not allow such usage, that you MUST use SOME voice minutes within a 60 day period to maintain the FP free plan, otherwise it will be canceled. I am basically doing the same thing, an FP free plan primarily for tablet data, but I make sure to make a voice call at least once every 30 days (2mins) just to keep it alive.
    It is 5 minutes of completed outgoing calls OR 5 MB of data in 30 days or a month.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    410
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,672
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.
    Same, except since 2016.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,096
    Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.
    I've been using FredomPop since 2013. I've had as many as 7 lines at times but I'm down to just 2 currently. I've had lines suspended for non-use but was able to reactivate them at my.freedompop.com. None of my FreedomPop lines has ever been cancelled involuntarily.

    Except for testing it briefly, I do not use the FreedomPop app. FreedomPop is a data only service for me. I use it with Hangouts for calls and messages.

    Currently, the only FreedomPop products I recommend are the prepaid 3 and 12 month SIMs from Amazon, Best Buy or Target. If you use those and do not give FreedomPop a credit or debit card you should be safe from unexpected charges.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I've been using FP free plan since January and never made a call or sent/received a text. Never got cancelled.
    Yes, but did you use at least 5 MB of data? The usage requirement is calls OR data.

    I got the 5 calls OR 5 MB of data requirement from FP support on Twitter. I had a line that got suspended and the online resume would only work for short periods. Their system was not seeing/reporting my usage and kept showing zero use. They reset it or something and it has been fine* since.

    * Well, as fine as 200 MB is. Which is nearly worthless.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    410
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well good news. I posted on the FP Community forum. They reactivated the $15.00 credit I had and they refunded me $20.00. I did not get the $1.10 which they claim are admin fees, regulatory fees. And they tell me I can not turn off auto top up unless I sign up for the safety mode feature which is 6.99.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,672
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    Well good news. I posted on the FP Community forum. They reactivated the $15.00 credit I had and they refunded me $20.00. I did not get the $1.10 which they claim are admin fees, regulatory fees. And they tell me I can not turn off auto top up unless I sign up for the safety mode feature which is 6.99.
    That's good news about the refund!

    About disabling FP auto topup. those rules have changed so many times, I have no idea what works now. I have never bothered to turn it off. The Android phones and tablets I have used with the free FP SIMs all count data almost exactly like FP, and the built-in warning and auto data shut-off all work well enough for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    I somehow accrued 5 Gig of data in the first 2 months. Whenever I would try to cancel the data plan, they would offer to double the data. 3rd month I signed up for data rollover for $3 /mo. Ended up with 2.2G. Now going on 4th month, still have 2.2G after using 150 meg last month.
    Just use it for Email, Google Maps, etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    201
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    now they tell me to turn of top up I have to have safety mode and it is charged each month

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    I didn't have any problems with them by signing up for the $3.99 rollover plan. I think the safety mode is $6.99 / mo.
    I did send them $10 deposit to pay for "overages" I only need about 200 meg / mo. so $4 /mo isn't a bad deal for me. With all the abundant free wifi around the city I don't have to use the hotspot all that much.

Similar Threads

  1. How to turn off the auto-hyphen feature
    By nadroba in forum Motorola Modding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
  2. How to remove credit card # or cancel auto-top up?
    By erin123 in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 12:40 AM
  3. Bell No rollover on $25 Auto Top-Up?
    By Charliedog in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM
  4. WARNING:Auto Top-Up & Keeping Your Number For 1Yr Promotion
    By puffidredz in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:15 PM
  5. Bell Question on Bell Prepaid / Auto Top up
    By min1968 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks