Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: UMIDIGI phones look pretty good

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, seems to work. Was able to be on a phone call and browse the internet simultaneously. HD icon is also visible and did not drop down to 2g or 1x

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,972
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Yes, seems to work. Was able to be on a phone call and browse the internet simultaneously. HD icon is also visible and did not drop down to 2g or 1x
    It looks like your persistence paid off! Good work!

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just trying to advance the knowledge base of the group. Finding a phone that did simultaneous GSM and CDMA has been a pipedream for a long time. To find a dual Sim phone was thought to be impossible too. Glad someone out there's dissecting the alien technology!


    This phone info trick might come in very handy. I never knew it existed. I still didn't get to edit or add the apn but I guess I didn't need it.

    So I guess if there are any pure frugal types out there, you can probably now achieve the "dream setup" of page plus paygo for voice and text, freedom pop for data. Atleast for as long as it lasts as Paygo is going away and so is freedom pop...

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,972
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Just trying to advance the knowledge base of the group. Finding a phone that did simultaneous GSM and CDMA has been a pipedream for a long time. To find a dual Sim phone was thought to be impossible too. Glad someone out there's dissecting the alien technology!

    This phone info trick might come in very handy. I never knew it existed. I still didn't get to edit or add the apn but I guess I didn't need it.

    So I guess if there are any pure frugal types out there, you can probably now achieve the "dream setup" of page plus paygo for voice and text, freedom pop for data. Atleast for as long as it lasts as Paygo is going away and so is freedom pop...

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    PPC paygo is going away? I didn't know that. Do you have a link to that info?

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    PPC paygo is going away? I didn't know that. Do you have a link to that info?
    No, just idle speculation. It does seem like page Plus is deemphasizing it as an offering.

    Crap... My solution for getting mobile data working through Verizon seems to have only lasted half a day. It was working as I was getting a Verizon wireless ip(100.x.x.x) but now I can't seem to connect. Toggling that preferred network value doesn't seem to have any effect now..... Research continues....

    Edit:And just when I was about to give up hope, the Apn menu suddenly appeared in my mobile networks menu for Verizon sim. Had some generic Verizon entries and one maybe I created on my Motorola G4 for PP/Tracfone. I selected and internet is working again. Rebooted phone and menu disappeared but at least internet is working still.

    Edit3: Sigh....worked great until i went underground and now back to square1....

    Edit4: I got it working again. Playing with some settings that don't sound like they would make a difference like turning off Enable 4g on the Verizon sim... Also the preferred network settings should be LTE only. This got me into the hidden Apn menu item.

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 06-27-2019 at 08:14 PM.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterMaster5 View Post
    On a One Max right now, using Unreal Wireless.

    I've got a Umidigi Power on preorder, which is a newer phone with a better CPU (Helio AI P35), bigger battery, Android 9, and a 1080p display. Let's hope for the best. Don't think you can get the Power for preorder cheap now, that offer ended last week iirc.

    Ask me questions and I will try to answer them.
    Did you ever get the Power? If so, how is the cpu compared to the One max? And did you get it working on Verizon? I got the F1 working on Page plus through some extra hurdles.

    I got the F1 and it's borderline awesome performance wise probably due to the P60 cpu. But I can get the power for under $139 on Amazon so am targeting those for a couple of users.

    Sent from my F1 Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    87
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score
    0
    I received a Umidigi Power on June 20, having ordered it on Aliexpress.com on April 20 for $119.99. Right out of the box it would lock up, requiring a power off to reboot, or it would reboot on it's own. Contacting Umidigi via Aliexpress the next day resulted in one reply requesting videos loaded to YouTube showing the action. This was done the same day. There has been no response from Umidigi since (today is June 30, 2019). Aliexpress stepped in per their policy on the website and offered a whole $24 refund, claiming it was functional so that was the best they would do. They also offered a complete refund of $119.99 but I had to pay shipping to China. Minimum of $20 from what I could find.

    So be aware, warranty on Umidigi is for all purposes non-existent. Buy through Amazon and at least they will take it back within 30 days. Beyond that, forget it...

    Sadly, the phone, when it worked, had very nice performance and the dual sim worked well. Ran Android 9 (Pie). It had the potential to be a great phablet, had it been reliable. It was GSM only and worked on T-Mobile and ATT Red Pocket nicely.

    Just my experience with Umidigi via Aliexpress. YMMV.

    BTW, I bought a Umidigi F1 through Amazon before the Power and it's ear piece volume was barely audible at full up. Amazon took it back with no problem.
    Last edited by Colecaz; 06-30-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Add performance comment

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info. So the power could not be used on Verizon? Guess I will steer clear of it.

    When in doubt, go for the faster cpu I suppose. Did an antutu benchmark on several of my phones, apparently the F1 is about the same range as my snapdragon 821 based Leeco Le Pro3 x727 at around 139k.

    Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,093
    Device(s)
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    I received a Umidigi Power on June 20, having ordered it on Aliexpress.com on April 20 for $119.99. Right out of the box it would lock up, requiring a power off to reboot, or it would reboot on it's own. Contacting Umidigi via Aliexpress the next day resulted in one reply requesting videos loaded to YouTube showing the action. This was done the same day. There has been no response from Umidigi since (today is June 30, 2019). Aliexpress stepped in per their policy on the website and offered a whole $24 refund, claiming it was functional so that was the best they would do. They also offered a complete refund of $119.99 but I had to pay shipping to China. Minimum of $20 from what I could find.

    So be aware, warranty on Umidigi is for all purposes non-existent. Buy through Amazon and at least they will take it back within 30 days. Beyond that, forget it...

    Sadly, the phone, when it worked, had very nice performance and the dual sim worked well. Ran Android 9 (Pie). It had the potential to be a great phablet, had it been reliable. It was GSM only and worked on T-Mobile and ATT Red Pocket nicely.

    Just my experience with Umidigi via Aliexpress. YMMV.

    BTW, I bought a Umidigi F1 through Amazon before the Power and it's ear piece volume was barely audible at full up. Amazon took it back with no problem.
    They've seemed to have quality control problems judging by past reviews. That plus no warranty of any kind to speak of made me ultimately skip them. But I'll be watching them for the future since they get a lot of things right.

    I ended up snagging a new Mi 8 Lite for $170. It's the 6gb/128gb version too so couldn't pass it up. It doesn't have all the US bands like the Umidigi though.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,101
    Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    They've seemed to have quality control problems judging by past reviews. That plus no warranty of any kind to speak of made me ultimately skip them. But I'll be watching them for the future since they get a lot of things right.

    I ended up snagging a new Mi 8 Lite for $170. It's the 6gb/128gb version too so couldn't pass it up. It doesn't have all the US bands like the Umidigi though.
    I haven't heard of many people having problems with their Umidigi phones, at least not more so than any other. It's an amazing bargain. Picked up my F1 Play for $186 and it works like a charm. Best budget phone of 2019 for sure.

    Xiaomi phones are nice but the lack of proper U.S. carrier bands make them useless for most people.

    Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 07-01-2019 at 05:48 AM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,101
    Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Btw, here's a good website to use to check carrier bands. Here's how my F1 play stacks up....

    https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency...midigi-f1-play

    Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,093
    Device(s)
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post

    Xiaomi phones are nice but the lack of proper U.S. carrier bands make them useless for most people.

    Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app
    Far from useless or I wouldn't have bought it. It has all the T-Mobile bands the F1 has besides band 12, which is mostly a supplemental band used to penetrate larger buildings (in areas that are already blanketed with their main bands of 2 and 4). I've been all over town/the surrounding area & get LTE everywhere. I popped the wife's at&t sim in and get LTE w it too.

    That Kimovil site you linked often shows the specs for the Chinese models, not the global ones.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    some feedback on the F1 and my dual sim setup-Freedompop(AT&T) on Sim1 and PagePlus(VZW) on Sim2. I went out of the ny city and into the wild of...yonkers(just 15 miles out of the city center).

    one quirk I am working through is that the *#*#4636#*#* code shows mostly the info on sim1 but sometimes sim2.

    the correct setting for AT&T seems to be preferred network as LTE/UMTS, VZW I can only get it to keep the APN menu active with preferred network as LTE only and enhanced 4g toggle off

    switching data between sims works for me by changing the preferred sim for data. happens mostly seamlessly although a few times had to reboot phone when it got "confused"

    In my current setup with Sim2 set presumably to LTE only, my VZW service never stepped down to 3g, 2g or 1x. So when I was in an area with poor lte coverage like in a building I would occasionally get cut off.

    according to network cell info lite app, indoors I occasionally connected to bands 13(VZW) and 17(AT&T)

    my thoughts are if they really are going to pull the plug on CDMA in favor of pure LTE as soon as end of 2019, there are going to be alot of unhappy customers. i think people will tolerate slow service rather than no service

    i'm going to switch the order of my sims to see if I can get vzw working on a setting other than LTE only. the issue has been finding the right combination of settings to keep the apn menu active. turns out if you muck with the setting, it either resets the apn to a default or blows it away completely.

    testing continues....

    the one feature about this phone that is certainly better than expected is the 5150 mah battery. i know batteries degrade over time so they are not designed to last but the overall battery time thus far is no exaggeration. i'm used to phones losing juice soon after they get to the 15% left range but this phone keeps going. this is the first phone i've used that actually exceeds my expectation and i've tested all sorts of extended batteries for other phones. one thing i know is that battery manufacturers overstate the capacity of their batteries. so like cpus, when in doubt get the biggest being offered just in case
    Last edited by ShredFred; 07-01-2019 at 01:05 PM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,093
    Device(s)
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Since it's available, you guys should really unlock the bootloader & see if you can install another ROM on there (some Treble ones should prob work). It sounds like the OEM rom has mucked the APN settings a bit.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,884
    Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Since it's available, you guys should really unlock the bootloader & see if you can install another ROM on there (some Treble ones should prob work). It sounds like the OEM rom has mucked the APN settings a bit.
    i'll probably do this once if they stop supporting the phone. i think they are still sending out wireless updates and i don't want to interfere with them installing.

    good thing is that i think the method for unlocking, rooting and installing twrp has been perfected

    https://community.umidigi.com/forum....age%3D1&page=8

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. these pics look pretty good compared to others ive seen
    By navyseal2413 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 08:04 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 04:34 PM
  3. Looking for good cell phone shops in San Jose CA area
    By RightHere in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 03:11 AM
  4. looking for good Telus phones
    By dietrich in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2002, 04:11 PM
  5. New S/E phones look good on real picture here!
    By caff in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2002, 11:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks