Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hoping I can just move my Tracfone SIM card to my new Galaxy S9 Plus

Feedback Score

Hoping I can just move my Tracfone SIM card to my new Galaxy S9 Plus

I've gotten mixed messages from various sources, but I ordered the phone anyway. It is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus from Amazon Warehouse listed as "used" in a damaged box, but with a 1 year warranty for ~$580. My hope is the initial purchaser sent it back because the box was damaged and never registered the phone.

One mixed message was from Tracfone "Customer Service" who said they need the new phone's serial number to confirm Tracfone would work even though I told her I have a Samsung Tracfone on the same Verizon network I will be using on the new phone.

I'm coming from my current Samsung J3 Luna Pro Tracfone on the Verizon LTE/CDMA network.

I'm hoping the new phone will work with a simple SIM card swap.

Any guesses? The new phone arrives Tuesday, Dec 11.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can just SIM swap it. I have done it with a few unlocked phones. The only issue is you will keep the J3 Luna Pro for support because the SIM is still linked to J3 Luna Pro's IMEI, and they will only see that you are using a J3 Luna Pro.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
    It is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus from Amazon Warehouse...

One mixed message was from Tracfone "Customer Service" who said they need the new phone's serial number to confirm Tracfone would work even though I told her I have a Samsung Tracfone on the same Verizon network I will be using on the new phone.
    Setting the SIM swap option aside for a moment.... When you want to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, TF (actually Verizon) requires you to supply the serial number of a phone; it is used to check and see if it's on Verizon's "whitelist" (not still on contract, not stolen, etc). If it passes the check, then you activate a BYOP TF/VZ SIM to use with that phone.

For various reasons (a VZ prepaid phone that hasn't paid the "ransom" yet, a stolen phone, a phone that was unlocked "unofficially", etc), a phone can fail the check. In that case, people swap in an active SIM from another phone on TF/VZ.

The SIM of your J3 Luna Pro is tied to the serial number of your Luna Pro in TF system. You can put that SIM into your new phone and it will work, but don't tell TF you're doing that. Further more, if you sell/give away the Luna Pro and the new owner activates it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your new phone), and suddenly you lose your service on the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Excellent info. So my best bet is to 1) Confirm whether or not my new S9 is white listed with Tracfone. If it is, get a new sim card for it, and keep the J3 and its sim card together. 2) If the new phone is NOT whitelisted, I can use the old sim card in the new phone, but hang on to the old phone so my service on the new phone is not deactivated.

Thanks for the insights!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I hope your new phone will be on the whitelist and you can activated a BYOP TF/VZ SIM with it. Swapping SIM can have its issues. I bought a Simple Mobile Moto E5 on Black Friday. Other forum member did the same and their phones worked on TF/VZ when they swapped in a BYOP TF/VZ SIM. I swapped in a SIM from my TF-branded J3 Sky on TF/VZ; my E5 could make calls and texts, but it only had 3G Data, not 4G/LTE like when that SIM was used in the Sky. Eventually, I got a serial number that passed the whitelist check, then activated a BYOP TF/VZ SIM to use with the E5, and it has 4G/LTE.

Feedback Score

I'm coming from my current Samsung J3 Luna Pro Tracfone on the Verizon LTE/CDMA network.

I'm hoping the new phone will work with a simple SIM card swap.
    You can check compatibility on the website. https://www.tracfone.com/activation/byopcollectesn/VZW

Does the Luna Pro now have VoLTE? If not, a SIM swap will not get it in the new phone. The account has to be provisioned for it.

Feedback Score
    Yes, my Luna Pro has VoLTE enabled. Whether or not it uses it is another matter.

Yes, as soon as I get the phone on Tuesday, I will check that website. Thanks.

And getting the S9's own SIM would be the best case.

Feedback Score
    And getting the S9's own SIM would be the best case.
    You can initially swap in the SIM from the Luna Pro to see where things are at, then go from there. If your S9 is Verizon branded, be aware there have been reports of VoLTE problems with some earlier models.

Yes, always better to transfer service rather than SIM swap IMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If your S9 is Verizon branded, be aware there have been reports of VoLTE problems with some earlier models.
    No, I don't think the phone was ever Verizon branded...it was advertised as unlocked and not branded.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    No, I don't think the phone was ever Verizon branded...it was advertised as unlocked and not branded.
    Check the model number.
    https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-ga...r-differences/

SM-G960UZ*AVZW*are Verizon models
    (Only 64GB versions? )

SM-G960UZ**XAA, SM-G960U, SM-G960U1*are unlocked models.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Setting the SIM swap option aside for a moment.... When you want to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, TF (actually Verizon) requires you to supply the serial number of a phone; it is used to check and see if it's on Verizon's "whitelist" (not still on contract, not stolen, etc). If it passes the check, then you activate a BYOP TF/VZ SIM to use with that phone.

For various reasons (a VZ prepaid phone that hasn't paid the "ransom" yet, a stolen phone, a phone that was unlocked "unofficially", etc), a phone can fail the check. In that case, people swap in an active SIM from another phone on TF/VZ.

The SIM of your J3 Luna Pro is tied to the serial number of your Luna Pro in TF system. You can put that SIM into your new phone and it will work, but don't tell TF you're doing that. Further more, if you sell/give away the Luna Pro and the new owner activates it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM (being used in your new phone), and suddenly you lose your service on the new phone.
    hpham, Why do you say "You can put that SIM into your new phone and it will work, but don't tell TF you're doing that. " Does tf frown on that? That may be the reason I am having trouble 'merging' a sim with a phone that was sim swapped. It was done so long ago that I dunno what the original phone is.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Does tf frown on that? That may be the reason I am having trouble 'merging' a sim with a phone that was sim swapped.
    TF doesn't support SIM swapping for branded devices or VZW BYOP.

As far as TF is concerned the SIM and phone (IMEI) are tied together.

So if the merge issue involves either, TF only know the original IMEI the SIM is connected to and won't do much if you don't keep them matched.

If a TF device the IMEI should be shown in the online account info. I think VZW BYOP too.

ATT or TMO BYOP is different as TF doesn't have the IMEI.

Feedback Score
    The Amazon site says the model I bought is SM-G965UZKAXAA. That confirms an unlocked model as I indicated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Amazon site says the model I bought is SM-G965UZKAXAA. That confirms an unlocked model as I indicated.
    Yep. Black 64GB model.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hpham, Why do you say "You can put that SIM into your new phone and it will work, but don't tell TF you're doing that. " Does tf frown on that?
    TF will tell you that you cannot use the SIM from a TF-branded phone in another phone, probably because it causes mismatch in the pairing info in their system. We know that functionally it works most of the time.

That may be the reason I am having trouble 'merging' a sim with a phone that was sim swapped.
    You might have discovered another peril of SIM-swapping.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast