Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 109

Thread: Why is Verizon VoLTE coverage so bad in my area (compared with CDMA)?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    The truth is that VoLTE eat up a lot of data bandwidth, just to offer a service that could be handled much better by the older tehnologies.
    Truth is VoLTE only uses 13 kbps compared to regular voice that uses 8 kbps. 1000 VoLTE calls use 5 Mbps more. No need to waste spectrum keeping CDMA alive when it's better used for LTE. CDMA( 850 MHz ) has top speed of 3.1 Mbps. Band 5 LTE( the same 850 MHz spectrum ) can go up to 195 Mbps but yeah let's keep CDMA.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    São Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Truth is VoLTE only uses 13 kbps compared to regular voice that uses 8 kbps. 1000 VoLTE calls use 5 Mbps more. No need to waste spectrum keeping CDMA alive when it's better used for LTE. CDMA( 850 MHz ) has top speed of 3.1 Mbps. Band 5 LTE( the same 850 MHz spectrum ) can go up to 195 Mbps but yeah let's keep CDMA.
    You're confusing VoLTE with VoIP. VoLTE is no ordinary data, you can't think of it that way. I'll give you a source confirming what I said:
    http://www.techplayon.com/2286-2/

    Basically, what they do is analyze VoLTE Cell Capacity and the conclusion that they came to was:
    The reality is that VoLTE has a voice call capacity comparable to legacy wireless voice solutions, like UMTS and CDMA2000 1x, on the order of 400 to 600 users per cell with 20 MHz. The challenge for the operators is to manage the end-to-end voice quality, and to juggle the conflicting demands of voice and data users to decide whether they need to reserved more resource block for Data or Voice.

    Also, I'm not defending CDMA, they will turn it off, they would be fools if they didn't. It's just that it's funny, technology doesn't always move forward, sometimes it moves backwards in order to move forward again.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    You're confusing VoLTE with VoIP.
    I'm not confusing anything. When Verizon rolled out VoLTE the stated what the bitrate was going to be. Unless you can provide some link to any changes they stated their bitate for VoLTE was 13 kbps

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,099
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    You're confusing VoLTE with VoIP. VoLTE is no ordinary data, you can't think of it that way. I'll give you a source confirming what I said:
    http://www.techplayon.com/2286-2/

    Basically, what they do is analyze VoLTE Cell Capacity and the conclusion that they came to was:
    The reality is that VoLTE has a voice call capacity comparable to legacy wireless voice solutions, like UMTS and CDMA2000 1x, on the order of 400 to 600 users per cell with 20 MHz. The challenge for the operators is to manage the end-to-end voice quality, and to juggle the conflicting demands of voice and data users to decide whether they need to reserved more resource block for Data or Voice.

    Also, I'm not defending CDMA, they will turn it off, they would be fools if they didn't. It's just that it's funny, technology doesn't always move forward, sometimes it moves backwards in order to move forward again.
    Good read.

    No wonder carriers are pushing to move toward NR as quickly as possible.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    743
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    You're confusing VoLTE with VoIP. VoLTE is no ordinary data, you can't think of it that way. I'll give you a source confirming what I said:
    http://www.techplayon.com/2286-2/

    Basically, what they do is analyze VoLTE Cell Capacity and the conclusion that they came to was:
    The reality is that VoLTE has a voice call capacity comparable to legacy wireless voice solutions, like UMTS and CDMA2000 1x, on the order of 400 to 600 users per cell with 20 MHz. The challenge for the operators is to manage the end-to-end voice quality, and to juggle the conflicting demands of voice and data users to decide whether they need to reserved more resource block for Data or Voice.

    Also, I'm not defending CDMA, they will turn it off, they would be fools if they didn't. It's just that it's funny, technology doesn't always move forward, sometimes it moves backwards in order to move forward again.
    This is telling: "Under poor conditions, LTE will struggle to support even a few of users."

    I wonder how it compares to CDMA under poor conditions?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Good read.

    No wonder carriers are pushing to move toward NR as quickly as possible.
    How did you come to the conclusion that NR will actually improve it? The article doesn't mention it.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,099
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jack4 View Post
    How did you come to the conclusion that NR will actually improve it? The article doesn't mention it.
    Cell edge performance is improved due to massive mimo. We won't have the same issues that VoLTE has at cell edge. NR is 3x more efficient than LTE with the same amount of spectrum. VoNR will have evs codec standard because of all the available bandwidth.

    I mentioned it due to what I know about new radio vs LTE.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Cell edge performance is improved due to massive mimo. We won't have the same issues that VoLTE has at cell edge.
    What you get at the cell edge is a lower band, like 13 or 5. There currently are no phones that support even MIMO 4x4 for sub 1GHz bands because of a relatively small size of the phones. So I doubt we'll see massive MIMO for low bands in phones any time soon if ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    NR is 3x more efficient than LTE with the same amount of spectrum.
    You must be comparing NR with 2x2 MIMO 64-QAM LTE. If you compare NR with 4x4 MIMO 256-QAM LTE, it will only be about 10-20% more efficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    VoNR will have evs codec standard because of all the available bandwidth.
    EVS is also supported by VoLTE.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    São Paulo-Brazil
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Cell edge performance is improved due to massive mimo. We won't have the same issues that VoLTE has at cell edge. NR is 3x more efficient than LTE with the same amount of spectrum. VoNR will have evs codec standard because of all the available bandwidth.
    We'll see. In the meantime, carriers are planning to keep their legacy networks a little longer. I've learned that Verizon won't completely shut off CDMA, they will keep it on a tiny slit of spectrum.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    We'll see. In the meantime, carriers are planning to keep their legacy networks a little longer. I've learned that Verizon won't completely shut off CDMA, they will keep it on a tiny slit of spectrum.
    Yes for machine to machine service not for voice services. CDMA is dead in 382 days. People should start accepting that.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,785
    Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yes for machine to machine service not for voice services. CDMA is dead in 382 days. People should start accepting that.
    I don't have a problem "accepting" the sunset of CDMA. I do have a problem accepting the current state of Verizon VoLTE coverage/service... it just doesn't cut it.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I don't have a problem "accepting" the sunset of CDMA. I do have a problem accepting the current state of Verizon VoLTE coverage/service... it just doesn't cut it.
    Then switch carriers. You do get 1x will be switched over to LTE band 5 as soon as CDMA is shut down. Which should help.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    743
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Then switch carriers. You do get 1x will be switched over to LTE band 5 as soon as CDMA is shut down. Which should help.
    It can't happen soon enough. I tried Verizon for the last few weeks, and it was unusable at times due to congestion (I presume). They have both A and B side cellular in my area. You'd think they would have switched one of them over to LTE by now. There have been sightings, but clearly they are only testing. I eventually went back to AT&T, just so we had something usable more of the time.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    171
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    It can't happen soon enough. I tried Verizon for the last few weeks, and it was unusable at times due to congestion (I presume). They have both A and B side cellular in my area. You'd think they would have switched one of them over to LTE by now. There have been sightings, but clearly they are only testing. I eventually went back to AT&T, just so we had something usable more of the time.
    during the time you had Verizon, if and when you drove over to Wilson, NC, did your VZW service get noticeably better? Similar to walking from an unheated garage into the heated kitchen on a cold day?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,171
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    It can't happen soon enough. I tried Verizon for the last few weeks, and it was unusable at times due to congestion (I presume). They have both A and B side cellular in my area. You'd think they would have switched one of them over to LTE by now. There have been sightings, but clearly they are only testing. I eventually went back to AT&T, just so we had something usable more of the time.
    Where is your area?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:29 PM
  4. Why is Verizon's coverage so complete?
    By RogerPodacter in forum AT&T
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Why is Verizon TEXT MESSAGING SO EXPENSIVE
    By WeneedJapPhones in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks