Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Why is Verizon VoLTE coverage so bad in my area (compared with CDMA)?

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Isn't PRL a CDMA thing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    Neville Ray (T-Mobile CTO) has stated that they will deploy LTE on B71 up to 10+10, the rest of Band 71 is reserved for mobile 5G NR. In areas that T-Mobile only has 10+10 of B71, it will be 5+5 LTE and 5+5 5G NR.
    In my area they only bought 15X15 even though 3 blocks when unsold. So I guess I'm either getting 5X5 LTE and 10X10 5G or 10X10 LTE and 5X5 5G. In either case that sucks. I guess maybe I won't switch after all. Shame since they just now finally lit up 600 and 700 here. They should have bought the other 3 blocks if that was their plan.

Device(s)
    Note2(RIP)Note 9,S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Airtouch Cellular), AT&T(LA Cellular)
    Feedback Score
    There's still a CDMA only tower in Death Valley Ca. Using CDMA because of how much more area it can cover. Wonder what will happen to special areas like that?
    IN an electronic coma.
    [

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    In my area they only bought 15X15 even though 3 blocks when unsold. So I guess I'm either getting 5X5 LTE and 10X10 5G or 10X10 LTE and 5X5 5G. In either case that sucks. I guess maybe I won't switch after all. Shame since they just now finally lit up 600 and 700 here. They should have bought the other 3 blocks if that was their plan.
    If they already have 5+5 of B12 (700), then I can almost guarantee it will be 5+5 LTE and 10+10 5G NR. In areas that T-Mobile has B12 they are only turning up 5+5 of B71 for LTE. Carrier agregation also doesn't work on the lower bands, so you won't be able to combine B12 & B71. T-Mobile tries their hardest to keep people off of B12 & B71 since they are really only there to cover the gaps that B2 & B4 sometimes leave, so I wouldn't concentrate too hard on B71 since your phone most likely won't be spending much time on it anyways unless you are in a very rural area or deep in a building with no other signal from TMo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlugPoP View Post
    There's still a CDMA only tower in Death Valley Ca. Using CDMA because of how much more area it can cover. Wonder what will happen to special areas like that?
    According to Verizon EVERY tower has LTE. EVERY tower

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    If they already have 5+5 of B12 (700), then I can almost guarantee it will be 5+5 LTE and 10+10 5G NR. In areas that T-Mobile has B12 they are only turning up 5+5 of B71 for LTE. Carrier agregation also doesn't work on the lower bands, so you won't be able to combine B12 & B71. T-Mobile tries their hardest to keep people off of B12 & B71 since they are really only there to cover the gaps that B2 & B4 sometimes leave, so I wouldn't concentrate too hard on B71 since your phone most likely won't be spending much time on it anyways unless you are in a very rural area or deep in a building with no other signal from TMo.
    So that sucks. Might as well stick with Verizon 5X5 isn't anything. Only other band Verizon uses in band 4 and even part of that is used for UTMS. They have a license for band 2 but it's not deployed. T-Mobile wasn't worth having before band 12 and 71 were lit up so if I'm still going to have to rely on band 4 then it's pointless to switch. Their loss. Verizon may be pricier but they know how to cover an area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    A couple in Yosemite too I think. Wawona Dome (was 3G/CDMA last time I was there), and up in Tuolomne Meadows in the summer - that was 1X only.

Anyone been out there recently who can comment?

Device(s)
    Note2(RIP)Note 9,S8
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kilovolt View Post
    A couple in Yosemite too I think. Wawona Dome (was 3G/CDMA last time I was there), and up in Tuolomne Meadows in the summer - that was 1X only.

Anyone been out there recently who can comment?
    My friend was just out in Death Valley at the end of December with a Samsung S9 and it was 3g only. He knew where the tower was .

Feedback Score
    I’m imagining small cells placed every X number of poles up and down State Route 190.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Note2(RIP)Note 9,S8
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Looks like there's some CDMA towers missing but looks like there's LTE in the area. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    It can't happen soon enough. I tried Verizon for the last few weeks, and it was unusable at times due to congestion (I presume). They have both A and B side cellular in my area. You'd think they would have switched one of them over to LTE by now. There have been sightings, but clearly they are only testing. I eventually went back to AT&T, just so we had something usable more of the time.
    Just an FYI, but Verizon's had a B5 LTE carrier in Durham since November 2016. The UARFCN was 2454 -- I haven't been on Verizon in a while so it might have changed if they have made the carrier wider.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, thank you. I'm validated. I recently upgraded to an LTE only phone, due to the looming CDMA shutdown. I immediately noticed that VoLTE wasn't nearly as good as CDMA . And I live right near a tower. I only hope that when they shut down CDMA, those frequencies/bands/ bandwidth will be allocated to VoLTE . Otherwise I'll have to switch to AT&T.

Nobody I told this to could believe it- they had all bought into the 4g hype. But this thread backed up my thoughts on the subject.
    So, until they actualy shut it, I'm heading back to CDMA.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just remember that if you are currently using a VOLTE enabled phone that Verizon is no longer allowing activation of CDMA phones

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elishar View Post
    Thank you, thank you. I'm validated. I recently upgraded to an LTE only phone, due to the looming CDMA shutdown. I immediately noticed that VoLTE wasn't nearly as good as CDMA . And I live right near a tower. I only hope that when they shut down CDMA, those frequencies/bands/ bandwidth will be allocated to VoLTE . Otherwise I'll have to switch to AT&T.

Nobody I told this to could believe it- they had all bought into the 4g hype. But this thread backed up my thoughts on the subject.
    So, until they actualy shut it, I'm heading back to CDMA.
    WHICH phone did you get? That kind of makes a difference

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast