Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

I have always been under the impression that AT&T coverage will leapfrog over Verizon coverage due to the FirstNet expansion. Does anybody happen to know when that will happen? Could it happen in Calendar Year 2019?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Considering how they’re just rolling out B14 to existing sites and densifying urban areas with small cells right now, I wouldn’t expect them to build out new coverage for another few years at least.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Doubtful. As stated above B14 is going almost strictly on existing sites and since the propagation is about the same as their existing B12 all you're getting is another capacity layer not extended coverage. B14 (and any band for that matter) can't make towers and new sites just magically appear as the lead time on new sites is very long, sometimes 1-3 years depending on the area. In that same timeframe Verizon will also be upgrading and expanding so while they may throw up a few new sites in areas that lack Verizon coverage they can't just snap their fingers and be ahead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I have always been under the impression that AT&T coverage will leapfrog over Verizon coverage due to the FirstNet expansion. Does anybody happen to know when that will happen? Could it happen in Calendar Year 2019?
    most likely yes

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious to see what happens after Verizon shuts down CDMA at the end of 2019. Unless VoLTE reliability improves quite a bit, I anticipate some jumping ship on to ATT.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I'm curious to see what happens after Verizon shuts down CDMA at the end of 2019. Unless VoLTE reliability improves quite a bit, I anticipate some jumping ship on to ATT.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app
    I don’t live in a strong Verizon market and I haven’t seen a call drop within 15 miles of city limits, if anything the call gets choppy.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

It will probably be a situation of whether you like chocolate or vanilla. Both have a lot of customers, both have a lot of money also, and both are expanding
    Last edited by themanhimself; 12-09-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

My problem isn’t with call drops, it’s that in a lot of areas now with two bars or less, data just simply doesn’t work well. If I switch over to the AT&T esim in these areas, it’s blazing fast.
    Last edited by hevaKmaI; 12-09-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    if anything the call gets choppy.
    Yep choppy, garbled calls at times. No real issues with dropped calls in good LTE areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Has AT&T committed at least publicly to expanding her footprint? With Band 14, 5G Evolution and 5G NR, I've haven't heard of making the network bigger than it is already; only denser, faster and more reliable.

There are still geographically large yet population sparse areas of the country that no carrier serves and AFAIK don't intend to anytime soon.

With greater density, 3G to LTE conversions, more LTE lanes, LTE-A expansion etc the experience should be better overall for AT&T customers in the coming year.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score

i hope so because i have both verizon and At&t (work phone) as i am a driver and live here in california but sometimes travel as far as oregon or seattle and ,arizona, vegas and as of now 2018 , At&t leaves a lot to be desired , large areas out in the interstate of absolutley no service while verizon has at least 1X and calls At least work sure i got no data at all but at least is better than having absolutely nothing on At&t while out in the sticks , another driver has tmobile but and he had 2G edge and his calls worked , VERY slow data but usable for basic web browsing while i had 3G on verizon and on the At&t line no service while out in the sticks . this is were i wished Att should have kept 2G edge because once u out there you loose lte and hspa doesnt make it very far so u automatically go to no service , tmobile on the other hand what i seen from the other driver he looses both lte and hspa but he has edge which reaches very far and he always has service never really no service like on At&t .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    i hope so because i have both verizon and At&t (work phone) as i am a driver and live here in california but sometimes travel as far as oregon or seattle and ,arizona, vegas and as of now 2018 , At&t leaves a lot to be desired , large areas out in the interstate of absolutley no service while verizon has at least 1X and calls At least work sure i got no data at all but at least is better than having absolutely nothing on At&t while out in the sticks , another driver has tmobile but and he had 2G edge and his calls worked , VERY slow data but usable for basic web browsing while i had 3G on verizon and on the At&t line no service while out in the sticks . this is were i wished Att should have kept 2G edge because once u out there you loose lte and hspa doesnt make it very far so u automatically go to no service , tmobile on the other hand what i seen from the other driver he looses both lte and hspa but he has edge which reaches very far and he always has service never really no service like on At&t .

The problem is AT&T hasn't densified their network to the extent that Verizon/T-Mobile have over the past decade. They're just added some towers here and there to cover new developments. So in many areas, AT&T still has the density of the original 850MHz AT&T network (During the AT&T/Cingular merger, T-Mobile got Cingular's 1900MHz network here in CA/NV, then densified it). In my rural area, inside many schools you only a bar or two of HSPA while other carriers offer LTE due to closer/newer towers.

B14 offers HPUE. Does that offer any noticeable range improvement over B12?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    The problem is AT&T hasn't densified their network to the extent that Verizon/T-Mobile have over the past decade. They're just added some towers here and there to cover new developments. So in many areas, AT&T still has the density of the original 850MHz AT&T network (During the AT&T/Cingular merger, T-Mobile got Cingular's 1900MHz network here in CA/NV, then densified it). In my rural area, inside many schools you only a bar or two of HSPA while other carriers offer LTE due to closer/newer towers.
    yea i kinda figuered something was kinda of with their network because not only on my travels but inside stores verizon, tmobile full lte bars while At&t is struggling with 1 little bar of hspa and everytime u try to call it fails it doesnt even ring just straight out fails , data doesnt work at all, i dont know how they magically gonna fix all of that mess in 2019 they have A LONG way to catch up to verizon and tmobile

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Has AT&T committed at least publicly to expanding her footprint? With Band 14, 5G Evolution and 5G NR, I've haven't heard of making the network bigger than it is already; only denser, faster and more reliable.

There are still geographically large yet population sparse areas of the country that no carrier serves and AFAIK don't intend to anytime soon.

With greater density, 3G to LTE conversions, more LTE lanes, LTE-A expansion etc the experience should be better overall for AT&T customers in the coming year.
    https://www.govconwire.com/2018/05/a...ural-coverage/

They’ll definitely be expanding coverage.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    yea i kinda figuered something was kinda of with their network because not only on my travels but inside stores verizon, tmobile full lte bars while At&t is struggling with 1 little bar of hspa and everytime u try to call it fails it doesnt even ring just straight out fails , data doesnt work at all, i dont know how they magically gonna fix all of that mess in 2019 they have A LONG way to catch up to verizon and tmobile

Funny, because that indoor one bar of HSPA issue (no usable service whatsoever) is the exact reason my family switched from Cricket to T-Mobile.

It's easily fixable, though. In CA, AT&T has a ton of spectrum so they just have to colocate on existing towers and they'll be the gold standard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast