Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Feedback Score
    I only see band 17 in our village. There is no band 14 according Signalcheck, is it because I am on Cricket or it's not available for real.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    If band 14 is available, Cricket or any ATT MVNO has access. You won't likely see it though, unless you are in an area where you would normally drop to HSPA due to a very weak LTE signal.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes I am, without a signal booster I'll never connect to LTE, with one I am at -105dB at best, lol!
    I am in the application process for FN but looks like even If I end up qualifying for it would not make much difference, if any. (wonder if that's why firefighters here all use Verizon)

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Doubtful. As stated above B14 is going almost strictly on existing sites and since the propagation is about the same as their existing B12 all you're getting is another capacity layer not extended coverage. B14 (and any band for that matter) can't make towers and new sites just magically appear as the lead time on new sites is very long, sometimes 1-3 years depending on the area. In that same timeframe Verizon will also be upgrading and expanding so while they may throw up a few new sites in areas that lack Verizon coverage they can't just snap their fingers and be ahead.
    Ya, Verizon is still 450 thousand square miles of LTE ahead of ATT.. Now a good chunk of AT&T’S coverage is still hspa +. So, upgrading those sites to LTE May help AT&T gain on Verizon in terms of square miles of LTE, but to leapfrog is a long shot will need more towers

AT&T: is running 65,000 towers across the us which is no joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong since I read about this a while ago, so my knowledge might be fuzzy.

From what I remember Verizon had the smallest amount of cell towers out of all the carriers. A big part of that had to do with their usage of of the 800 MHz low band spectrum (which AT&T also has), but more importantly because of tower placement.

What Verizon would do is place their cell towers very far apart, so that you might get 1 bar of 1x CDMA signal, but your phone would still hold on to it. I think a big part of that also had to do with CDMA technology being able to connect to more than one cell tower at once.

AT&T would offer "more bars in more places" (their commercial slogan), but they had more towers and they were generally placed close together, so you would rarely if ever see your phone holding on to that 1 bar of 2G GSM or GPRS signal the same way you would on Verizon's 1x CDMA.

Nowadays Verizon is going to be LTE only though, so I'm curious what will happen to those areas where even with LTE deployed the signal is so weak, that your phone barely holds one to that one bar of 1x CDMA coverage. Verizon will either have to add more towers or people will lose all reception in said areas.

This can even happen in cities. I used Verizon here in NYC last year (where they have amazing coverage) and in certain old buildings I would only get 1x on my phone - which means that once they shut down their CDMA network I would have no coverage whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    The problem is AT&T hasn't densified their network to the extent that Verizon/T-Mobile have over the past decade. They're just added some towers here and there to cover new developments. So in many areas, AT&T still has the density of the original 850MHz AT&T network (During the AT&T/Cingular merger, T-Mobile got Cingular's 1900MHz network here in CA/NV, then densified it). In my rural area, inside many schools you only a bar or two of HSPA while other carriers offer LTE due to closer/newer towers.

B14 offers HPUE. Does that offer any noticeable range improvement over B12?
    Yes, att density efforts have been lackluster. Haven’t added a new towers in 6 years

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They've definitely added towers (I've helped design a few) just not a lot of them. They've been so upgrade heavy that the new tower builds are down on the priority. With the need to build out B14 the need for new towers is once again placed low on the list.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    They've definitely added towers (I've helped design a few) just not a lot of them. They've been so upgrade heavy that the new tower builds are down on the priority. With the need to build out B14 the need for new towers is once again placed low on the list.
    So I guess a fast 14 build and then go back and add towers later?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Assuming they don’t cut spending again, yes.

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will stay with Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) for now. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 that is universal, unlocked, so whenever the time comes for me to change, it should be pretty simple.

Ot, if money is suddenly burning a hole in my pocket, I can get a new Apple iPhone XR and have BOTH Verizon AND AT&T on it. That will take care of a couple of pesky problems:

-Too much spare money.

-Too much battery life.

Feedback Score
    I spotted 1 Co location here so far on the city permits and that’s it on new sites

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh it's definitely on any new sites moving forward, even the ones that were in permitting and zoning prior to getting awarded the contract. Now that the B12/B14 RRHs are available they don't have to worry about adding anything new to the applications to accommodate B14 prior to constructing the site.

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I would assume so although B14 itself isn't pushing any sort of coverage expansion so any new towers are going to be where they would have wanted to put towers anyways.

Feedback Score
    Oh it's definitely on any new sites moving forward, even the ones that were in permitting and zoning prior to getting awarded the contract. Now that the B12/B14 RRHs are available they don't have to worry about adding anything new to the applications to accommodate B14 prior to constructing the site.

I would assume so although B14 itself isn't pushing any sort of coverage expansion so any new towers are going to be where they would have wanted to put towers anyways.
    So in theory, any coverage expansion new sites that att is planning to add more then likely have already been reviewed and added on internal plans.. even for future plans

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not necessarily as there is always new coverage areas being explored but a lot of times areas could have been pegged awhile back as an area of need but have not been worked on due to how budgets are prioritized. Money runs the train like any business so while RF engineers might want 1,000 new sites there might be only budget for a fraction of that at the current time and more get opened up as the money opens up. It could also depend on if they're working with tower companies who are themselves working on leasing spaces which takes awhile so AT&T could have a need for a site and have a partner in helping get it done but they're waiting on others to get approvals to move forward. There's a lot of players and components to this industry. One thing I've noticed is it never moves as fast as you think or as fast as the carriers want it to.

Feedback Score
    Not necessarily as there is always new coverage areas being explored but a lot of times areas could have been pegged awhile back as an area of need but have not been worked on due to how budgets are prioritized. Money runs the train like any business so while RF engineers might want 1,000 new sites there might be only budget for a fraction of that at the current time and more get opened up as the money opens up. It could also depend on if they're working with tower companies who are themselves working on leasing spaces which takes awhile so AT&T could have a need for a site and have a partner in helping get it done but they're waiting on others to get approvals to move forward. There's a lot of players and components to this industry. One thing I've noticed is it never moves as fast as you think or as fast as the carriers want it to.
    Good thing is here .. Verizon and tmo have lead the way in densification.. so, my guess would be that will help att co locate on more sites faster where needed instead of needing to add a new site .. I hope they don’t need brand new site of their own .. I’m tired of seeing 3 or 4 towers literally next to each other in the same space lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast