Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Good thing is here .. Verizon and tmo have lead the way in densification.. so, my guess would be that will help att co locate on more sites faster where needed instead of needing to add a new site .. I hope they don’t need brand new site of their own .. I’m tired of seeing 3 or 4 towers literally next to each other in the same space lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plus don’t forget about that agreement that ATT and Verizon signed recently to share the costs on new tower construction. It’s a win/win for both companies. With cost sharing it makes it more economically feasible for both companies to place towers in more rural areas where they wouldn’t have before due to poor return on investment of towers.

In the end although ATT will gain additional LTE coverage so will Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Plus don’t forget about that agreement that ATT and Verizon signed recently to share the costs on new tower construction. It’s a win/win for both companies. With cost sharing it makes it more economically feasible for both companies to place towers in more rural areas where they wouldn’t have before due to poor return on investment of towers.

In the end although ATT will gain additional LTE coverage so will Verizon.

Makes perfect business sense, and saves both companies money. But one has got to wonder how close Verizon and AT&T really are LOL?
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Makes perfect business sense, and saves both companies money. But one has got to wonder how close Verizon and AT&T really are LOL?
    They are closer than we'd like to think, as two competing major businesses. They usually don't ever attack one another in marketing, maybe a slight bash here or there.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On firstnet's page they claim the full buildout will cover 2.74 million sq miles, which I believe is larger than Verizon's current LTE footprint, though not by much. My personal belief is that they will buildout those areas together through the deal they reached earlier this year.

They will share the cost, and consumers will still have a choice of carrier in those areas. I'm sure tmus won't be far behind, either. The US will definitely be leading the way in LTE and NR coverage - esp in sq miles.

The firstnet.com site seems to be down, I'm getting a 404 error.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    On firstnet's page they claim the full buildout will cover 2.74 million sq miles, which I believe is larger than Verizon's current LTE footprint, though not by much. My personal belief is that they will buildout those areas together through the deal they reached earlier this year.

They will share the cost, and consumers will still have a choice of carrier in those areas. I'm sure tmus won't be far behind, either. The US will definitely be leading the way in LTE and NR coverage - esp in sq miles.

The firstnet.com site seems to be down, I'm getting a 404 error.

I feel the same way. We will end up with 3 viable networks. Att and Verizon will be super close it will be a chocolate/vanilla type of thing, which flavor do you prefer. As tmobile progresses they will bring in the strawberry

Feedback Score
    Depends on where one is. They are nearly indistinguishable in my mid-Atlantic area. Verizon seems to have slightly better signal where I go, but suffers from data congestion more than AT&T.

From what I read here, in sparsely populated areas, Verizon is better in some areas and AT&T in others.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I’m sure they are much closer then we think. For instance I would guess that Verizon went to ATT and said. “How about we don’t bid on first net to keep your bid low and then we can share the cost of tower construction to keep our costs low”. It really is a win win. Also all those new towers need to have backhaul from somewhere and Verizon sure does own a lot of fiber. Now ATT has a reason to expand with all the new FirstNet spectrum and Verizon has a reason to expand if the tower costs are low.

Feedback Score
    I’m sure they are much closer then we think. For instance I would guess that Verizon went to ATT and said. “How about we don’t bid on first net to keep your bid low and then we can share the cost of tower construction to keep our costs low”. It really is a win win. Also all those new towers need to have backhaul from somewhere and Verizon sure does own a lot of fiber. Now ATT has a reason to expand with all the new FirstNet spectrum and Verizon has a reason to expand if the tower costs are low.
    That would be an extreme violation of anti-trust laws and would mean big trouble for all involved - prison time and everything. What you described is the very definition of a trust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    I only see band 17 in our village. There is no band 14 according Signalcheck, is it because I am on Cricket or it's not available for real.

I have seen B14 on a Cricket Phone, but it was in a very specific location. A phone will only use B14 if no other band is available- that doesn't happen in many places. Usually where there is B14 there is also B12.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That would be an extreme violation of anti-trust laws and would mean big trouble for all involved - prison time and everything. What you described is the very definition of a trust.
    That’s understandable, but unless there’s a mole in either company I wouldn’t put it past them to do something like this. Not saying they did, but the way the world is working these days anything is possible.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I doubt that happened. The FirstNet contract comes with a few background headaches such as prioritizing upgrading sites with this spectrum over pretty much any other network related project in the company and being forced to upgrade all sites with a slew of redundant backup systems like extra batteries and generators, both of which can be a headache if you're retrofitting sites that were never built to handle that. That's a lot of budget being eaten up at a time where building out small cell infrastructure is probably the best thing you can do for your network health.

Feedback Score
    I came across this article this morning.

https://about.att.com/story/2018/hun...ll_towers.html

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    All I know is I'm getting spoiled on att coverage and reliability. It's definitely the best it's ever been for me now. Not sure if it's due to recent upgrades but the service is working very well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    All I know is I'm getting spoiled on att coverage and reliability. It's definitely the best it's ever been for me now. Not sure if it's due to recent upgrades but the service is working very well

Where on earth do you live. Service is getting worse with time for me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.doman View Post
    Where on earth do you live. Service is getting worse with time for me.
    It seems to be getting better in Central NC, unlike VZW. Where are you that it is getting worse?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast