Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    It seems to be getting better in Central NC, unlike VZW. Where are you that it is getting worse?
    I was in two locations with it not getting better. Orlando Florida and Williamsburg Virginia. Just yesterday I was in a building with a friend. Both had 1 bar but I had AT&T and he had T-Mobil. I only got 2.0 mb down and he got over 30 mb down.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.doman View Post
    Where on earth do you live. Service is getting worse with time for me.
    Va and work has me in nc a lot also (basically live in nc 30% of the time).

I've noticed the best improvements in nc. Even tmobile seems to have gotten better in nc also. I'm seeing band 71 more and more now in nc so I think tmobile will give att a run for their money in nc before long

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was in two locations with it not getting better. Orlando Florida and Williamsburg Virginia. Just yesterday I was in a building with a friend. Both had 1 bar but I had AT&T and he had T-Mobil. I only got 2.0 mb down and he got over 30 mb down.
    I was in Orlando (well Disney) in October. Didn't have any specific issues beyond the TERRIBLE Disney World App. I haven't been to Williamsburg in a long time though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Va and work has me in nc a lot also (basically live in nc 30% of the time).

I've noticed the best improvements in nc. Even tmobile seems to have gotten better in nc also. I'm seeing band 71 more and more now in nc so I think tmobile will give att a run for their money in nc before long

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I'm really rooting for T Mobile to get better in rural NC, but it doesn't look like they are going to deploy any 600MHz here in the foreseeable future, at least according to their own map.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    I was in Orlando (well Disney) in October. Didn't have any specific issues beyond the TERRIBLE Disney World App. I haven't been to Williamsburg in a long time though.
    Specifically in the Orlando Vineland premium outlets area. Data was unusable most of the time.

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread on this or just piggyback onto this existing thread. Anyway, I was in east central Minnesota yesterday, and it would seem like AT&T coverage is far better than Verizon currently in that area.

While I am not ready to "jump ship" from Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO)just yet, I am very glad that I had a spare phone with AT&T Tracfone for supplemental coverage yesterday. I also noticed that with AT&T service on my hot=spot, I would have fewer bars on it that I did with my Sonim XP8. I assume the difference is a better antenna on the Sonim than on the Netgear hot-spot. However, could the specific bands that each one uses also be a factor in this? I didn't use an diagnostic apps to see what, specific, bands each was getting, however.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread on this or just piggyback onto this existing thread. Anyway, I was in east central Minnesota yesterday, and it would seem like AT&T coverage is far better than Verizon currently in that area.

While I am not ready to "jump ship" from Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO)just yet, I am very glad that I had a spare phone with AT&T Tracfone for supplemental coverage yesterday. I also noticed that with AT&T service on my hot=spot, I would have fewer bars on it that I did with my Sonim XP8. I assume the difference is a better antenna on the Sonim than on the Netgear hot-spot. However, could the specific bands that each one uses also be a factor in this? I didn't use an diagnostic apps to see what, specific, bands each was getting, however.
    Don't go by bars. Go by dbm,rsrq, and snr.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Orlando is horrible for AT&T and has been since 2005-ish. Cingular and AT&T ruled Orlando, then didnít do a whole lot for density since then. Itís very bad outside of Disney. Even that (with their Disney contract), theyíve neglected for backhaul and spectrum upgrades. Iím down there at least 3 times a year and itís frustrating to drop to 4G outside next to a cell site with Verizon and tmobile on it.

Iíve also never heard good things for Williamsburg area. Thereís a frequent poster on the Verizon board (Vivian) who posts from there. Iíve never had AT&T issues there but I donít live there, nor do I frequent the area.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Bars are kinda meaningless. Although it is very location specific AT&T has made great strides to catch up to Verizonís LTE coverage. AT&T has definitely been focusing on expanding coverage and boosting up current towers. However with AT&Tís agreement with Verizon and Tillman towers you likely wonít see many new towers that Verizon isnít on as well.

To add though Verizon is not focusing on coverage. They are currently focusing on density.

Feedback Score

My wife and I were ATVing with a group today and stopped at a place for lunch. My Verizon coverage was almost non-existent outside and vanished inside. It was the AT&T service that interested me most, however. My Netgear hotspot showed service, but then dropped. My Sonim XP8 pretty much held service. The woman sitting across from me was also on AT&T and she was surprised that I had service and she didn't. In a situation like that, say Netgear Unite Explore AC815S Vs. Sonim XP8, does why does the Sonim hold signal better?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-92.9502455

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Orlando is horrible for AT&T and has been since 2005-ish. Cingular and AT&T ruled Orlando, then didnít do a whole lot for density since then. Itís very bad outside of Disney. Even that (with their Disney contract), theyíve neglected for backhaul and spectrum upgrades. Iím down there at least 3 times a year and itís frustrating to drop to 4G outside next to a cell site with Verizon and tmobile on it.

Iíve also never heard good things for Williamsburg area. Thereís a frequent poster on the Verizon board (Vivian) who posts from there. Iíve never had AT&T issues there but I donít live there, nor do I frequent the area.
    I was just in Orlando for a conference, stayed at the Orlando World Marriott, and I had excellent AT&T coverage (iPhone 8 & cellular iPad). Due to company policy I am not allowed to use public WiFi so I used cellular the entire time and never had an issue, used my iPhone for directions from the airport and it worked perfectly. Even using the hotspot feature on my iPhone for my Surface Pro worked good for the couple of times I needed to get some serious work done, but the whole week I was there I used my iPhone & iPad and never once had a problem with my AT&T service.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    My wife and I were ATVing with a group today and stopped at a place for lunch. My Verizon coverage was almost non-existent outside and vanished inside. It was the AT&T service that interested me most, however. My Netgear hotspot showed service, but then dropped. My Sonim XP8 pretty much held service. The woman sitting across from me was also on AT&T and she was surprised that I had service and she didn't. In a situation like that, say Netgear Unite Explore AC815S Vs. Sonim XP8, does why does the Sonim hold signal better?
    Some devices have better RF performance than others. It could be due to the chipset they use, their RF chain and antenna design, or a combination of the two. I'm guessing that the Sonim folks put a lot of effort into RF performance, since they are intended to be used in rugged environments where reliability is key, and less into the overall looks/software/etc of the device. Samsung devices are also excellent with RF now and they're mainstream devices, so YMMV.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-92.9502455
    Sonim has the closest thing to an external antenna you can get to on a new device.

My XP8 outperforms the iPhone and new Galaxy devices in poor signal from my experience.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm seeing a huge amount of Tillman and Uniti Towers being built in my area. It appears almost all are near existing At&t towers being co-located on another company. I know Verizon was also looking at using these companies.

Note: Not all towers I know are registered with the FCC are showing, also true with microwave antennas.

Source:
    https://www.fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php
    Last edited by Nucleartx; 07-28-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $80.99/month

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    I'm seeing a huge amount of Tillman and Uniti Towers being built in my area. It appears almost all are near existing At&t towers being co-located on another company. I know Verizon was also looking at using these companies.

Note: Not all towers I know are registered with the FCC are showing, also true with microwave antennas also.

Source:
    https://www.fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php
    Att is on the move all over with this first net project (it really saved them) they are tearing threw Nebraska on I-80 with multiple new sites. This will be a massive expansion over the next year or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast