Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Att is on the move all over with this first net project (it really saved them) they are tearing threw Nebraska on I-80 with multiple new sites. This will be a massive expansion over the next year or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's good. When I visited there were definitely some trouble spots on i80

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Ya, from their own perspective and where their coverage currently is,it will be a massive expansion for them, but catching Verizon my goodness that will be hard. Verizon is claiming (MORE THAN) 2.56 million square miles covered and still expanding. Att is now closing in on the 2 million mark, but still about 500-600 thousand square miles away from hitting that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They’ve still got a fair amount of UMTS coverage in NE, NV, ID, UT, and even WA. Closing a lot of those gaps will definitely help them catch up to Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They’ve still got a fair amount of UMTS coverage in NE, NV, ID, UT, and even WA. Closing a lot of those gaps will definitely help them catch up to Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    What time frame would you give them to complete these upgrades to LTE In these areas ?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Last May I was up in Nebraska near Lincoln on US 34 between Lincoln and Seward. Only about 5 miles north of I80, and coverage was missing for a couple miles. There definitely needs to be upgrades. If I lived in that area, I probably wouldn't use ATT on a primary line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Last May I was up in Nebraska near Lincoln on US 34 between Lincoln and Seward. Only about 5 miles north of I80, and coverage was missing for a couple miles. There definitely needs to be upgrades. If I lived in that area, I probably wouldn't use ATT on a primary line.
    To my knowledge att never had low band in Nebraska, but now with first net and band 14 that will all change.. and soon full and wider coverage will be offered

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ya, from their own perspective and where their coverage currently is,it will be a massive expansion for them, but catching Verizon my goodness that will be hard. Verizon is claiming (MORE THAN) 2.56 million square miles covered and still expanding. Att is now closing in on the 2 million mark, but still about 500-600 thousand square miles away from hitting that.

IMO AT&T getting the FirstNet contract was the best thing that could have happened. It’s a huge benefit for customers as it forcing AT&T to expand coverage and update older 3.5G only towers to LTE. FirstNet of forcing AT&T to expand where as Verizon only has to add coverage if it’s financially feasible. FirstNet is now a couple of years old so we should now be starting to see the coverage expansion from new approved towers finally being built. It’s going to take a long time for AT&T to match the urban density that Verizon has but national footprint coverage shouldn’t take as long. An article from about 2 years ago stated AT&T’s 3G coverage was about 71% (LTE was at about 59%) of America compared to Verizon’s LTE coverage that was at 70%. So if they just upgraded every tower to LTE they should be about even. New towers can take years to plan, get approved, and get built.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To my knowledge att never had low band in Nebraska, but now with first net and band 14 that will all change.. and soon full and wider coverage will be offered

Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post

The Lincoln outskirts are some of AT&T's (and T-Mobile's, for what it's worth) worst spots in the whole state because roaming partner Viaero isn't there. Rural parts of Lancaster, Butler, Saunders, Seward, Cass, Otoe and Pawnee counties are significantly under-served. If on postpaid, subscribers have access to Viaero's LTE network (which T-Mobile roams on too). Nebraska is much worse for prepaid. But because Viaero has a sizable gap around Lincoln, you are more likely to get a fast LTE signal out in a remote part of Cherry County, NE 40 miles from a town than in some small towns around Lincoln. Can personally attest to this. Family members on AT&T in Nebraska (Omaha metro, where AT&T does have low-band) go outstate on recreational trips a few times a year and tell me they'll have fast LTE by some lake in the rural Sandhills but yet struggle to even get texts to go if they are 10 mins outside Lincoln.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In many places... I would say 'No'.
    Places in California and through Michigan, Vermont, Upstate NY, Verizon had the legacy 850MHz and had built out a lot of these (or purchased) existing network that had a presence in many state/federal lands which are difficult to build in.
    Eg. San Bernardino Mountains in CA - AT&T/T-Mobile have service on both ends of the Cushenbury grade... yet VZW has a site in those areas.
    AT&T has added to many of its rural areas, but it will be difficult to exceed a lot of the rural areas without significant buildout. There isn't a whole lot of ROI on these areas, but there are customers in those areas that will use the service of whatever carrier 'works well'.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    In many places... I would say 'No'.
    Places in California and through Michigan, Vermont, Upstate NY, Verizon had the legacy 850MHz and had built out a lot of these (or purchased) existing network that had a presence in many state/federal lands which are difficult to build in.
    Eg. San Bernardino Mountains in CA - AT&T/T-Mobile have service on both ends of the Cushenbury grade... yet VZW has a site in those areas.
    AT&T has added to many of its rural areas, but it will be difficult to exceed a lot of the rural areas without significant buildout. There isn't a whole lot of ROI on these areas, but there are customers in those areas that will use the service of whatever carrier 'works well'.
    It’s not based on ROI for att when the mandate of first net is to complete the build out by 2020

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post

The Lincoln outskirts are some of AT&T's (and T-Mobile's, for what it's worth) worst spots in the whole state because roaming partner Viaero isn't there. Rural parts of Lancaster, Butler, Saunders, Seward, Cass, Otoe and Pawnee counties are significantly under-served. If on postpaid, subscribers have access to Viaero's LTE network (which T-Mobile roams on too). Nebraska is much worse for prepaid. But because Viaero has a sizable gap around Lincoln, you are more likely to get a fast LTE signal out in a remote part of Cherry County, NE 40 miles from a town than in some small towns around Lincoln. Can personally attest to this. Family members on AT&T in Nebraska (Omaha metro, where AT&T does have low-band) go outstate on recreational trips a few times a year and tell me they'll have fast LTE by some lake in the rural Sandhills but yet struggle to even get texts to go if they are 10 mins outside Lincoln.
    Thanks. That explains it. My nearest relatives in the Lincoln area I think are on Verizon and Sprint.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    IMO AT&T getting the FirstNet contract was the best thing that could have happened. It’s a huge benefit for customers as it forcing AT&T to expand coverage and update older 3.5G only towers to LTE.
    Most definitely. FirstNET is an idiotic government boondoggle, but AT&T is really making something good for AT&T and their customers out of it.

An article from about 2 years ago stated AT&T’s 3G coverage was about 71% (LTE was at about 59%) of America compared to Verizon’s LTE coverage that was at 70%. So if they just upgraded every tower to LTE they should be about even. New towers can take years to plan, get approved, and get built.
    I've heard Verizon is at 80%, but the problem is there are many ways to count, depending on whether you count Extended coverage (the 80% number likely does), Roaming, etc. I'm also assuming those are all CONUS, as if you go to all 50%, the percentage will drop a lot. Thanks Alaska.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    The problem is AT&T hasn't densified their network to the extent that Verizon/T-Mobile have over the past decade. They're just added some towers here and there to cover new developments. So in many areas, AT&T still has the density of the original 850MHz AT&T network (During the AT&T/Cingular merger, T-Mobile got Cingular's 1900MHz network here in CA/NV, then densified it). In my rural area, inside many schools you only a bar or two of HSPA while other carriers offer LTE due to closer/newer towers.

B14 offers HPUE. Does that offer any noticeable range improvement over B12?
    We lucked out up here in the (AT&T Affiliate) Edge Wireless areas in rural NorCal (they also served Southern Oregon, Southeastern Idaho and Jackson Wyoming), they only had 1900 to work with, and they were forced to be dense in their network. Right now, USCC maintains the coverage lead, barely, Verizon is close behind, and AT&T and T-Mobile are moving up quickly, I just checked the Mendocino County Planning Commission, and AT&T has 5 sites (couple of towers, 2 or 3 MonoPine's) going up, the other guys? Nada, and haven't in at least a couple of years. Verizon's network here has gotten VERY slow in cities like Ukiah during peak times, I just switched from VZ to AT&T, and so far, I'm very glad I did. AT&T is running about every band here they have, 12, 14, 17, 30, 66, minus 850 of course, it's owned by VZ and USCC

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    It's so weird to hear of areas with weak control from the state on tower siting. Around here, they are mostly all on the same towers, in some areas, there are towers with only two or 3 carriers and some different site configurations, but in most of the state, it's fully co-located, so they have the same site density.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It's so weird to hear of areas with weak control from the state on tower siting. Around here, they are mostly all on the same towers, in some areas, there are towers with only two or 3 carriers and some different site configurations, but in most of the state, it's fully co-located, so they have the same site density.
    In our county, Mendocino (rural NW CA), the Planning Commission has to approve EVERY new site, tower, co-location, equipment additions/removals, etc. On our coast (I'm 25 miles inland in Redwood Valley), there is also the CA Coastal Commission, and they do rule in favor of the towers and sites, when residents get a bit too anti-tower.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast