Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    They haven’t even started building macros on a wide scale and they’re many behind Verizon. I doubt it’ll be 2020. Maybe 2022 or beyond.
    Around august next year it will be a whole different picture on coverage for att.. density Verizon will be in the lead, but att has huge coverage expansion planned first 6 months next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Luckily I haven't experienced the bad AT&T areas yet. I've traveled various places from TN to Florida to Vegas and Dallas and a few places in between and my service was solid. Even when I had to make a stop at a dealership because my vehicle was acting up. The dealership was in a small Alabama town that was miles off the main interstate in the middle of nowhere. I still had service out there too. Only 1 bar but i could call and text etc. I also have Visible (Verizon prepaid) as a secondary line and I honestly haven't been seeing this "way better" Verizon network. They both seem to be tit for tat and trade blows regularly. Sometimes AT&T is stronger...other times it's Verizon but I've never had service on only one device. I can honesty say I haven't been running into congestion issues either. I feel like AT&T is closer than people think and I definitely think it's possible for them to surpass Verizon in early 2020

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Luckily I haven't experienced the bad AT&T areas yet. I've traveled various places from TN to Florida to Vegas and Dallas and a few places in between and my service was solid. Even when I had to make a stop at a dealership because my vehicle was acting up. The dealership was in a small Alabama town that was miles off the main interstate in the middle of nowhere. I still had service out there too. Only 1 bar but i could call and text etc. I also have Visible (Verizon prepaid) as a secondary line and I honestly haven't been seeing this "way better" Verizon network. They both seem to be tit for tat and trade blows regularly. Sometimes AT&T is stronger...other times it's Verizon but I've never had service on only one device. I can honesty say I haven't been running into congestion issues either. I feel like AT&T is closer than people think and I definitely think it's possible for them to surpass Verizon in early 2020
    AT&T is definitely a lot closer with Verizon (coverage wise) than people give them credit for. Sure in some areas one is better than the other but over all they are pretty close. Pretty soon AT&T will be equal with Verizon in overall coverage but will be way behind Verizon when it comes to density.

Also both companies are in different positions with different goals. AT&T has plenty of spectrum (so they don’t need small cells), they are just focusing on adding and upgrading towers to comply with the FirstNet contract and expand coverage. compared to Verizon (they are spectrum deprived at the moment) who is mainly just adding towers for density and to fill small gaps but they are putting up small cells everywhere like crazy to handle the capacity issues where AT&T doesn’t put up nearly as many small cells.

Also Verizon isn’t as vocal about network expansions/new sites as AT&T is. AT&T has all kinds of press related expansions and FirstNet. Verizon only really says something when they turn on a new technology for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

Will AT&T Coverage Leapfrog Over Verizon In 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post

Also Verizon isn’t as vocal about network expansions/new sites as AT&T is. AT&T has all kinds of press related expansions and FirstNet. Verizon only really says something when they turn on a new technology for the first time.
    Would you have some examples? AT&T could seem to only talk about DirectTV for the longest times. All I can think about now is the 5Ge and Randall Stephenson saying they will climb every tower to roll out FirstNet.

I always felt like AT&T has NOT touted their Network strengths for many years. Last big campaign was the fewest dropped calls thing about 14 years ago. And the All-Over Network before that and “More Bars I’m More Places”.

I don’t even know who their Chief Technology officer is like we do for Sprint & T-Mobile, John Saw and Neville Ray. And Verizon just started their “5G done right campaign”.

I always felt like AT&T’s policy was “we let our network people run our network” or “Good coverage does not need to be Advertised”. Maybe they are afraid of a best coverage Ad War?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    I always felt like AT&T has NOT touted their Network strengths for many years. Last big campaign was the fewest dropped calls thing about 14 years ago. And the All-Over Network before that and “More Bars I’m More Places”.
    For months now it is been "Just OK is not OK". Best Network.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For months now it is been "Just OK is not OK". Best Network.
    Wow, that’s a short simple message people should get. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Att won't beat anyone on coverage. They keep getting rid of their good employees. Anyone that supports att at this point needs their head examined

https://www.axios.com/trump-att-outs...c8d2af502.html

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is definitely a lot closer with Verizon (coverage wise) than people give them credit for. Sure in some areas one is better than the other but over all they are pretty close. Pretty soon AT&T will be equal with Verizon in overall coverage but will be way behind Verizon when it comes to density.

Also both companies are in different positions with different goals. AT&T has plenty of spectrum (so they don’t need small cells), they are just focusing on adding and upgrading towers to comply with the FirstNet contract and expand coverage. compared to Verizon (they are spectrum deprived at the moment) who is mainly just adding towers for density and to fill small gaps but they are putting up small cells everywhere like crazy to handle the capacity issues where AT&T doesn’t put up nearly as many small cells.

Very well said. The thing is, AT&T has the spectrum to not need the density, and they also have somewhat fewer customers. Further, the areas where AT&T is the dominant carrier from a marketshare perspective tend to be less densely built to begin with, like parts of the Midwest and South, versus the Northeast where Verizon has the dominant marketshare (even though AT&T has the best coverage here in CT).

I think it's quite possible that AT&T could catch up from a coverage perspective. The difference in tower density is becoming even more extreme, as Verizon is having to build small cells that cover a few blocks, while AT&T's FirstNET towers can, in some cases, individually add pixels to the national coverage map when deployed in rural areas with large towers at max power. When you break it down, large chunks of very rural states are covered by fewer towers than dense neighborhoods in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.

Feedback Score
    All I can say is East Orlando nest UCF and in UCF campus, att is deploying small cells everywhere. Verizon, not so much.
    Verizon "The New Unlimited Plan"
    AT&T Unlimited iPad Data
    AT&T 2X Mobley Connected Car UNL Plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Around august next year it will be a whole different picture on coverage for att.. density Verizon will be in the lead, but att has huge coverage expansion planned first 6 months next year

Agreed.

They are really pushing into new areas in conjunction with their FirstNet rollout, even to areas they never covered before in Nevada, rural Colorado, Nebraska, the Marianas, Guam and American Samoa.

Heck, they even just rolled out LTE to Bethel Alaska, a bandwidth starved city in the Alaska Bush.

https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/Ne...s/NewsID/18575

https://www.pacificislandtimes.com/s...e-region?_amp_

https://www.southplattesentinel.com/...-nebraska/amp/

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I think At&t is going to surpass Verizon this year. Maybe not in users but in sheer coverage and speed. Here in New Hampshire at&t has a SOLID network and is SO underutilized compared to Verizon.

Verizon often comes back with speeds similar to tmobile who relies solely on 5x5 LTE band 12 for everyone and everything so you can imagine piss poor.

Now with the roaming agreements with us cellular I'm really blown away. Almost nowhere do I not have useable service anymore and speeds are only going up. So glad we switched from USCC in 2014 to AT&T and not Verizon.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    I think At&t is going to surpass Verizon this year. Maybe not in users but in sheer coverage and speed. Here in New Hampshire at&t has a SOLID network and is SO underutilized compared to Verizon.

Verizon often comes back with speeds similar to tmobile who relies solely on 5x5 LTE band 12 for everyone and everything so you can imagine piss poor.

Now with the roaming agreements with us cellular I'm really blown away. Almost nowhere do I not have useable service anymore and speeds are only going up. So glad we switched from USCC in 2014 to AT&T and not Verizon.
    The problem is that Verizon has a huge marketshare in New England, and it's even higher amongst the middle- to upper-middle class folks that vacation in Northern New England, so those sites just get crushed with their relatively poor spectrum position. Meanwhile, AT&T has less marketshare and more spectrum.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    The problem is that Verizon has a huge marketshare in New England, and it's even higher amongst the middle- to upper-middle class folks that vacation in Northern New England, so those sites just get crushed with their relatively poor spectrum position. Meanwhile, AT&T has less marketshare and more spectrum.
    Yes that sums it up quite well. I forgot about the summer people and the strain they bring. Yes vzws market share is absurd in NE.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

That's because Verizon is instead very vocal about having the "largest most reliable LTE network" lol. That seems to be their focus in all of their commercials. I haven't seen too many press releases with AT&T other than recently with them touting their 5g expansion and last year their Fiber expansion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Att won't beat anyone on coverage. They keep getting rid of their good employees. Anyone that supports att at this point needs their head examined

https://www.axios.com/trump-att-outs...c8d2af502.html
    If that's the case then we all need to pretty much stop supporting ALL American companies. I don't agree with outsourcing. Heck my last job in IT was outsourced but likewise I'm not going to strictly go on strike against AT&T. I like their service and reliability etc. compared to Sprint and others. Verizon is also up there with coverage and reliability and they're probably also outsourcing jobs. It's a shame but likewise this administration isn't trying to do anything to stop it AFTER they preached and preached about how that would be one of their main focuses. Bringing jobs back on American soil. Nonetheless from a strictly service standpoint AT&T has what I want at a price point I want and I still have a couple of unlimited hotspots on my unlimited plus plan which is great for when I travel. No one else can offer that. Verizon can offer the coverage and similar price points but they can't offer the unlimited Hotspot.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast