Thread: WiFi Hotspot

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint-Metro PCS-Sprint
    Feedback Score

WiFi Hotspot

I have a Moto G5 Plus. I want to use it as a WiFi Hotspot but it's not included in my plan. I see there are several Hotspot apps in the Play Store. Have any of you used them and which ones are best. Or is there a different/better way. And I don't want to root my phone. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texx11 View Post
    I have a Moto G5 Plus. I want to use it as a WiFi Hotspot but it's not included in my plan. I see there are several Hotspot apps in the Play Store. Have any of you used them and which ones are best. Or is there a different/better way. And I don't want to root my phone. Thanks.
    The only viable one for a non-rooted phone is PDANet+.

I use it all the time.

It is not hard to install for a technical person but often stymies non-technical people who often cannot figure it out.

The wifi mode is Wifi Direct, not full Wifi.

So what you do is install PDANet on two Android phones, or on an Android phone and an Android tablet, and then press the WPS button.

It is probably too awkward to use an iPhone or iPad as a client via Wifi Direct because you have to enter the password explicitly in that scenario and it changes.

Or you can tether it to say a PC and run Internet Connection Sharing or Connectify on the PC and share out the PC Wifi to all clients. That works fine.

Feedback Score
    If you have a Moto G5 that is not carrier branded, the hotspot app that comes with the phone may work. It does on my G6.

Otherwise, FoxFi/PDANet is probably the only app that may work on a phone that is not rooted.

Hotspotting can be detected by the carrier. Some of them do not take kindly to using unauthorized features.

What service provider do you use? Tello, that uses Sprint, allows hotspotting on all plans.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint-Metro PCS-Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My provider is Sprint. I have the Kick Starter plan. And when I try to use the Hotspot that comes with the phone I get "Unable to connect to data network. You may not be subscribed to a tethering or hotspot service" message.

Feedback Score
    My provider is Sprint. I have the Kick Starter plan. And when I try to use the Hotspot that comes with the phone I get "Unable to connect to data network. You may not be subscribed to a tethering or hotspot service" message.
    Which is normal because there is no hotspot service provision in the kickstart plan.

Feedback Score
    Is the phone Sprint branded? If so, they put their version of the hotspot app on it which will only work if your plan allows it.

Try Foxfi. It's free to try, but does not work with all phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Is the phone Sprint branded? If so, they put their version of the hotspot app on it which will only work if your plan allows it.

Try Foxfi. It's free to try, but does not work with all phones.
    FoxFi does not work any more on current Android levels on any phone.

In the past, before that, there were only a few Verizon phones and one or two others left that it still worked on.

Beyond that, "other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below."

http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php

PDANet+ is the only viable possibility on current phones (and it is hard to install for many people and is Wifi Direct or Tether only, not a full Wifi hotspot). (There are one or two inferior clones of PDANet as well).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    FoxFi does not work any more on current Android levels on any phone.

In the past, before that, there were only a few Verizon phones and one or two others left that it still worked on.

Beyond that, "other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below."

http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php

PDANet+ is the only viable possibility on current phones (and it is hard to install for many people and is Wifi Direct or Tether only, not a full Wifi hotspot). (There are one or two inferior clones of PDANet as well).
    Thanks for the update. Good to know.

The last time I tried FoxFi was on a Verizon Galaxy S4 with Android 5. It worked. I have other options now. I have a dedicated hotspot because I got that spectacular Mobley deal. It is still good to have hotspot instantly available on the phone I always have with me. The carrier agnostic Moto G6 I got Black Friday works.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update. Good to know.

The last time I tried FoxFi was on a Verizon Galaxy S4 with Android 5. It worked. I have other options now. I have a dedicated hotspot because I got that spectacular Mobley deal. It is still good to have hotspot instantly available on the phone I always have with me. The carrier agnostic Moto G6 I got Black Friday works.
    Are you saying the Moto G6 hotspot works even on Sprint plans that explicitly deny the hotspot, such as the Free plan or KickStart? I am very surprised if that is the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Are you saying the Moto G6 hotspot works even on Sprint plans that explicitly bar the hotspot, such as the Free plan or KickStart. ? I am very surprised if that is the case.
    No, sorry, I was not specific. My G6 hotspot works with Tracfone-Verizon service. It is not allowed by the TF TOS/T&C and could lead to problems if used.

I see no reason why it would not work on Sprint too since the hotspot app is not programmed to contact the carrier for authorization. Working and getting away with using an unauthorized service are two different things.

On a different phone back in the Ringplus days I was able to do unauthorized hotspotting on Sprint. I just did a brief test to see if it worked. I have no idea then or now how much you can get away with. Getting a free Sprint plan terminated might not be worth the risk. I am not familiar with the KickStart plan.

Feedback Score
    No, sorry, I was not specific. My G6 hotspot works with Tracfone-Verizon service. It is not allowed by the TF TOS/T&C and could lead to problems if used.

I see no reason why it would not work on Sprint too since the hotspot app is not programmed to contact the carrier for authorization. Working and getting away with using an unauthorized service are two different things.

On a different phone back in the Ringplus days I was able to do unauthorized hotspotting on Sprint. I just did a brief test to see if it worked. I have no idea then or now how much you can get away with. Getting a free Sprint plan terminated might not be worth the risk. I am not familiar with the KickStart plan.
    In my experience, Sprint will block the access if it is not authorized in such cases even if the Hotspot does not check for authorization. You will not get the neat error message but you will get constant pop-ups about communication errors. I could always be wrong.

This used to happen even in RingPlus days. You often could get away with it for a while but then eventually, cruelly, it stopped working. That was my experience anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    It's because the APN/Data settings are set incorrectly

Edit your apn, and in the type field just add ",dun" to the end of the string then it'll work fine

been doing this for years to use the built in hotspot capabilities.

A lot of Sprint branded phones do not allow for it, but the non-carrier phones should do fine.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50