Thread: Fastest Hotspot on AT&T?

Feedback Score

Fastest Hotspot on AT&T?

So I’ve had an MR1100 now for almost a year. Best case I get 110Mbit/s down peak, usually more like 20-60. Uploads are poor, of course so is my phone.

In contrast my XS Max has peaked at 240Mbit/s and routinely gets 90-180 Mbit/s on upgraded towers.

IMHO the MR1100 — in the United States — has been a huge disappointment. It’s only ever so slightly better than the ZTE Velocity 2 I bought at the same time for less than half the price.

Anything better? Hotspot wise — not a phone in hotspot mode.

MOFI, Jetpack, something from EU (Nighthawk?) or Asia?

Any suggestions? Anyone in the USA getting over 100Mbit in their MR1100 — or any hotspot on any US carrier?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    do you have an external antenna hooked up to the MR1100 ??
    does the happen in town or out in the country ??
    are you getting 4G LTE or 5G speed ??
    also see this - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mob...00/m-p/1602609

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I've gotten 175 Mbps on my original Netgear MR1100, First Gen. The problem is the wifi on the Nighthawk is very poor. If you want better speeds, hook it up to an access point/router and disable the onboard wifi.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    https://www.att.com/devices/netgear/...sku=sku8820339

This hotspot is capable of the same 1 Gbps that your Xs Max is. That would probably be your best bet.

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes. Hands down the nighthawk is the best. I have 3 of them. I love that it has an Ethernet port on board. I personally have no issues with it’s WiFi either. There is a setting for longer or shorter WiFi signal. I’ve got mine set to max since it’s always plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Thanks October262 -- that's actually my answer (JSchnee21) over on the Netgear Community Forums

Thanks Nucleartx -- 175 Mbit/s is definitely the fastest speed I've heard of in the US for the Nighthawk. Any chance you could run some differential speed tests on the Nighthawk comparing Ethernet, USB, and different settings for 5.8GHz Wifi (40Mhz, 80Mhz, AC only versus Mixed, etc.). Those are phenomenal speeds for your XS Max -- clearly you have a strong tower in your local area.

Thanks Jakeuten -- that's the Nighthawk I have and am referring to. So far from what I have seen there is no performance difference between Gen1 and Gen2. Gen 3 (5G) has not been released yet.

Thanks Astrand1 -- I use the "Long" range setting on my Nighthawk as the 5.8GHz wifi signal from mine is very week. I only get about 30 feet of range or so -- (on a clear day, with the wind at my back). Though this is not usually an issue as my main use is in the car for the kids.

It's been suggested over on the Netgear community forum that my device might have one or more defective antennas due to the poor upload speeds and potentially limited Wifi capability. I'll have to see if I can find some time over the holiday to go to an AT&T store and beg for a replacement. Maybe by then the new M5 Fusion will be released.

Any thoughts on the warranty length? Is it 1yr or only 90 days? I bought mine outright from AT&T.com in Feb 2018.

Please, let's keep this thread going. There are lots of disgruntled folks over on the Netgear Community forum wondering why their USA MR1100 sucks so much compared to the AUS and EU models, and compared to their newer Samsung and Apple phones. TeeJay from Finland has posted speedtests of over 800Mbit (Ethernet) on his EUS version.

I wish Samsung, Apple, or even Qualcomm would come out with a proper hotspot