Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Callcentric is discontinuing the free number plan

Feedback Score

Callcentric is discontinuing the free number plan

I just got this via email:

Valued Customer,

When we launched our FREE Phone Number Program almost 7 years ago, we knew supporting and maintaining this service would bring its own unique set of challenges; however we felt the value this service could provide our customers outweighed the negative.

Over the past several years significant changes in the regulatory environment, as well as an extreme uptick in fraud/abuse have caused this paradigm to shift. Despite these facts, we’ve continued to provide/support this product entirely free of charge.

In short, these changes have transformed what initially started as a value-added service for the BYOD Community into an untenable burden on our company’s resources. As a result, we’ve been forced to make the difficult decision to discontinue our popular Free Phone Number Service on February 28, 2019.

We entirely understand that there will be a lot of questions/concerns related to this change and we want to assure you that we will work openly and diligently to address them all. Below is an overview of the basics, as well as some links with additional information:

Can I maintain my number(s)?
    YES. We’ve created a new low-cost plan for $1 per DID/month that you can automatically transition your numbers to on 2/27/19. To opt-in to this plan, please click here

What does the new plan include?
    For $1 per DID/month our Dollar Unlimited plan includes 2 Inbound Channels and UNLIMITED inbound usage

Do I have to do anything if I don’t want to transition my numbers to the Dollar Unlimited Phone Number plan?
    No. Any FREE Numbers that have not been converted to our new Dollar Unlimited plan will automatically be cancelled on 2/28/2019

I still have questions, where can I learn more?
    We’ve added a detailed FAQ Section to our site to address concerns regarding our decision and to let you know exactly what to expect when we reach the deadline date. If you would like to learn more, please check our FAQ’s

While the telecom industry is ever-changing, our commitment to providing innovative/affordable service solutions remains the same as it was when we started our company 15+ years ago.

We understand that when it comes to phone service you have a choice and we THANK YOU for choosing Callcentric.

Sincerely,
    The Callcentric Management Team
    For anyone using Callcentric for free incoming VOIP, the free ride is over. It's not that big of a deal, though, if you ask me.

First of all, GV has introduced their VOIP beta which for most people is all they need.

Second, I think CallCentric priced it right at $1 a month. If they would charge $5 or $10 I don't think any of the free users would stay. For $1, anyone who needs to specifically use CallCentric has the option for a pretty low price.

I did notice small print that reads:
    Prices exclude taxes, and 911 Cost Recovery Fee for US and Canada customers.
    As well as:
    Excessive inbound channel overage on this plan is a violation of our Acceptable Usage Policy
    So that needs to be dealt with.

Are any of you still using CallCentric's free inbound number? If not, what did you switch to?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    I just got this via email:

For anyone using Callcentric for free incoming VOIP, the free ride is over. It's not that big of a deal, though, if you ask me.

First of all, GV has introduced their VOIP beta which for most people is all they need.

Second, I think CallCentric priced it right at $1 a month. If they would charge $5 or $10 I don't think any of the free users would stay. For $1, anyone who needs to specifically use CallCentric has the option for a pretty low price.

I did notice small print that reads:

As well as:

So that needs to be dealt with.

Are any of you still using CallCentric's free inbound number? If not, what did you switch to?
    I got the email as well. But I’m already paying $1.50 so I guess it goes to $2.50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    I got the email as well. But I’m already paying $1.50 so I guess it goes to $2.50?

Not sure. What are you paying the $1.50 for? Is it the 911 fee? Or a tax?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Not sure. What are you paying the $1.50 for? Is it the 911 fee? Or a tax?
    911 fee and maybe tax. I just know two numbers is a $1.50 each month

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat, on the same $1.50 plan (just for E911 service) that includes the "free" number. So it looks like I'll now be paying $2.50 a month, for E911 plus the inbound phone number. I believe this is still likely the cheapest around, for what we get out of it.

Feedback Score
    Do you use it for wired VOIP, or mobile?

Feedback Score
    Opted in for $1/mo. No-brainer for stable service.

Feedback Score
    I also have the free inbound number and pay $1.50 for E911. Callcentric has been working fine so will probably pay the extra $1/month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
    I also have the free inbound number and pay $1.50 for E911. Callcentric has been working fine so will probably pay the extra $1/month.
    For 45c more you could do the 120 min plan and have outbound minutes included.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Opted in for $1/mo. No-brainer for stable service.
    Agreed. Not to mention free CNAM and the best tools available to stop robocallers/telespammers.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    What do you all use this for? If you aren't paying Callcentric for outbound service, what do you use to make calls?

Feedback Score
    A lot of us use it with Google Voice, for creating a VOIP "landline" number. Technically, I don't need Callcentric to get inbound/outbound calling, but GV does not include E911 service, so that right there is my primary reason for being a Callcentric customer. The added benefit of the inbound number was that it provided caller-ID CNAME service, which is another thing not included with Google Voice (you only see the phone number; no name lookup). For that $1.50 a month, it's a great benefit.
    I have no use for any outbound minutes, as that is all provided by GV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What do you all use this for? If you aren't paying Callcentric for outbound service, what do you use to make calls?
    I just use it to get 911 service for my Obitalk for $1.50 a month. Google voice on the Obi takes care of calls for free. GV does not do 911.

You can configure the Obi with the CC DID number to get CNAM. GV does not do CNAM.

I will pay the dollar.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I used to use it as a forwarding number to my phone system. And outbound calls would be made from the number it’s forwarded too. But I stopped using mine and started using IPcomms free DID.

Call centric doesn’t play nice with FreePBX

Feedback Score
    And for all the GV users (like me), you only need to pay the extra $1 a month if you are using and like using the free inbound number to get CNAME caller-id lookup.
    If you only use Callcentric for E911 service, that is still just $1.50 a month. They are separate products.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast