Thread: What fast charging standard for Boost LG Stylo 4+ q710pl

Feedback Score

Angry What fast charging standard for Boost LG Stylo 4+ q710pl

My Stylo 2 gave up the ghost so I bought a Stylo 4+ from the Boost website. I plug it in to my dual port USB 2.1a car charger, and it complains that it's slow charging and basically hardly charges at all. Like it can't get power in faster than it's using it.

So I start trying to search Google, Amazon, etc. Where to start? Nothing that came with the phone seems to indicate which fast charging standard the phone uses. Google just keeps showing me sites that say it "supports fast charging according to the manufacturer."

I download the manual from LG's site seeing that they don't bother to give you one, and it says that using anything but the included wall charger and cable will damage the phone. I click the chat support button on their website and get a retarded "AI" search. I click the link for live help, and they tell me the same thing the manual did.

I said, "But I need a car charger, it didn't come with one, so what can I do?" So she gives me a link to "LG Online Retailers" - one of which is Amazon. But they flat out REFUSE to give me any idea which charging standard to look for, or even an official LG charger model number. Just a link to Amazon's cell phone section. Which is full of questionable no-name chargers, and nothing made by LG. Not that I want an LG charger, but without a charging spec, how will I know which ones are really compatible?

Next I spent an hour on the phone with two foreigners who were useless as **** on a bull. A woman at LG tried selling me a power bank, and when I said "but I need a car charger," she told me that they aren't allowed to sell accessories (remember, I only wanted to know the charging specs and maybe the model number of a compatible LG car charger) to the public and I am required to contact Boost if I want to purchase a charger. I told her that the Boost website has both the tech support and accessory sales sections broken down by phone and my phone isn't listed, so she transferred my call to them. (I bought the phone on that site just fine.)

Take 2... Boost made me give them my phone number, pin, and full mailing address. Several times. They knew even less than LG, and after several brief stints on hold he told me the address of a Boost Store because he couldn't help me. At least that's what I think he said, I've met 2 year olds who were better at speaking English.

If this is the way LG and Boost treat their customers, I'm never buying their products again. I should have learned my lesson after trashing a 2 year old $1200 LG refrigerator that the repair guy couldn't seem to fix, but my old phone was decent so I figured I'd be safe buying the new model.
    Last edited by parasiticz; 12-10-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I searched on amazon for "lg stylo 4 charger car" and found several that say they support lg stylo 4.

However, just because it says supports lg stylo 4 does not mean it supports fast charge.

I think you need to find what fast charge protocol the lg stylo 4 uses.

The charger below looks like it might fast charge the lg stylo 4 but check it out yourself because I am not sure. You might even ask a question on amazon and see if they can tell you for sure.

This charger supports Certified Qualcomm QC 3.0 so see if your lg stylo 4 uses that protocol.

Meagoes Fast Car Charger, Compatible LG Stylo 4/ V40 ThinQ / V35 ThinQ/ V30/ V20 / G7 ThinQ/ G6/ G5/ K20 V/Nexus 5X, Rapid Dual Quick Charge 3.0 USB Adapter, Built-in Straight USB Type C Cord Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Meagoes-Charg...+4+charger+car

Feedback Score
    my brother has the lg stylo 4, i'll ask him what kind of charger he's got.
    my moto G5s plus has the turbo charge feature and it has this type of charger - https://www.ebay.com/itm/QC3-0-Motor...DXxr:rk:3:pf:0 doesn't have the USB type C just standard charging cable
    plug the phone into a standard USB port the phone charges slow, use the turbo charger charges the phone fast.

Feedback Score
    The link below is for lg stylo 4 (not the plus version) and shows the fast charge protocol.

I could not find specs for the plus version that tells the fast charge protocol on other websites and even checked the LG website.

Of course spec websites are not always correct either but I think it is likely "lg stylo 4 plus" supports the same protocols as the "lg stylo 4" version.

Fast Charging:
    Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Stylo-4_id10876

Still probable better to get verification before you buy a charger.

I have always liked the LG phones that I have owned and it is one of my favorite phone manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    However, just because it says supports lg stylo 4 does not mean it supports fast charge.

I think you need to find what fast charge protocol the lg stylo 4 uses.
    Exactly, that's what I'm trying to do. It would be nice if LG or Boost was willing to tell me. I threw a USB monitor inline with the factory wall wart, it was putting out 9.14v/0.67a with the phone at 96%. I don't know enough about the various standards to interpret that...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    The link below is for lg stylo 4 (not the plus version) and shows the fast charge protocol.

I could not find specs for the plus version that tells the fast charge protocol on other websites and even checked the LG website.

Of course spec websites are not always correct either but I think it is likely "lg stylo 4 plus" supports the same protocols as the "lg stylo 4" version.

Fast Charging:
    Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
    Interesting. I'm thinking it might be different. It says Qualcomm QC3.0 but also that it's running a 1.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor. My Stylo 4+ is using a 1.5GHz MediaTek MT6750S, at least according to Boost...

Feedback Score
    www(dot)mediatek)dot)com/products/smartphones/mt6750

"MT6750 is also compatible with MediaTek PumpExpress 2.0, our technology that speeds up device-charging."

My GoogleFu is tight AF tonight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parasiticz View Post
    Interesting. I'm thinking it might be different. It says Qualcomm QC3.0 but also that it's running a 1.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor. My Stylo 4+ is using a 1.5GHz MediaTek MT6750S, at least according to Boost...
    I think you are right it might be different. I just noticed the specs say the lg stylo 4 system chip is Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 SDM450 and the boost variant is MediaTek MT6750S.

So you need to verify what fast charge protocol your exact model "boost lg stylo 4 plus" uses before you can know what kind of charger to get.

I do think it is strange the LG website does not show the fast charge protocol. Perhaps I just could not find it.

Did you look in the paper work that came with the phone because it might show in the manual if there is one.

My advice is just use slow charge in your car and if in the future you find out for sure then you can get a fast charger.

Most of the phones I have owned have been LG phones and I still think they are good phones.