Thread: Do you need to give Cricket the IMEI of the phone when changing it?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Question Do you need to give Cricket the IMEI of the phone when changing it?

I am under my dad's family plan (5 lines for $100). Every one of us have BYOD phones (unlocked phones we bought online). I want to change my phone with another unlocked phone I just purchased. The cricket rep (LIVE CHAT) said that they need the IMEI for the new phone. I thought Cricket was just like a regular GSM carrier where you can just swap sims in different phones. Anyone know more about this or can clarify? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked) Gold
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gandroidx95 View Post
    I am under my dad's family plan (5 lines for $100). Every one of us have BYOD phones (unlocked phones we bought online). I want to change my phone with another unlocked phone I just purchased. The cricket rep (LIVE CHAT) said that they need the IMEI for the new phone. I thought Cricket was just like a regular GSM carrier where you can just swap sims in different phones. Anyone know more about this or can clarify? Thanks.
    No you do not need the IMEI. Take your sim out of your previous phone & put it in your current phone. Eventually the network will update your account with your new IMEI. If you give it to Cricket before it updates automatically, that's ok. It will update your account to make sure you're getting all the features that are compatible with your phone that Cricket allows.

Sent from my SM-G930U using HoFo mobile app
    Phones used - *Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989* *Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317* *Blu Studio 5.0 C HD* *Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870* *Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900* *Moto X Pure Edition* *Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910C* *Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U*

Feedback Score
    Not thats unique to metropcs

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thank you both for your help and clarifying this I greatly appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    I always refuse to give IMEI to any GSM carrier/MVNO I've dealt with.

In some instances the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is up to.
    So I won't provide it just in case.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 03.13.19

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Cricket, like AT&T will put the IMEI onto your account to "detect" the device - a rep can do it or it will get picked up shortly after using your new device. This is for both the system that polices unauthorized devices on plans (hotspots, cellular modems) or to provision additional features that some devices get (iPhone visual voicemail, hotspot, etc.)

Feedback Score
    Will the phone automatically update it's APN settings?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Will the phone automatically update it's APN settings?
    It should but I have had to manually update APN at times on Cricket and T-mobile. Never on native AT&T.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gandroidx95 View Post
    I've popped SIMs from phone to phone for various testing and such. Never called CS and never had an issue. The system automatically recognizes it and does the right thing.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    I just moved my nano SIM from 7 plus (sold) to iPhone XR last week without calling anybody, the XR works like normal, LTE shows up the minute I pop the SIM in. Everything works , so I don’t know why you have to call and give imei . Been doing this way when changing phone for like 2 1/2 years

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    iPhones APN update automatically and some androids needs to be updated manually to get data and mms