Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need new phone the size of Optimus Fuel

Feedback Score

Need new phone the size of Optimus Fuel

My elderly father has a LGL34C Optimus Fuel. He loves the size but I'm looking for something with a little more memory and maybe a little faster with a more up to date OS. Has to be TracFone CDMA (Verizon) compatible and about the same overall size (the screen can be bigger). Any suggestions? (BTW the dimensions of the LGL34C are 4.3 Inch x 2.3 Inch x 0.5 Inch.

Thanks all

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It'll be very difficult to find a recent Android phone with that size.

Feedback Score
    The Fuel is pretty small (3.5" screen), and the only current phone near that size is the iPhone SE (4" screen). Expensive and a learning curve. A BYOP phone would have to be older, and soon can't be activated on Verizon because of the 2G/3G shutdown. All phones on Verizon have to be VoLTE capable now.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade1911 View Post
    BTW the dimensions of the LGL34C are 4.3 Inch x 2.3 Inch x 0.5 Inch.
    The Moto E5 is 6.08 x 2.84 x 0.35 in

If you can find an unlocked Moto E4 it's 5.70 x 2.85 x 0.37 in

The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8314) is 5.31 x 2.56 x 0.48 in

That about as small as I've seen that works on Verizon.

If AT&T is an option thee are some others, like the Samsung Galaxy A3 (5.33 x 2.61 x 0.31).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The ZTE Majesty Pro Plus is a pretty good choice. DIMENSIONS 5.37''(H) x 2.67''(W) x 0.43''(D). It has 4.5" screen, 16GB internal, 2GB RAM, VoLTE, Android 7.1.1, selling for only $19.99 on TF web site. I bought a refurbished one around July for $9.99. It works pretty well. Not a speed demon, but runs most of my apps just fine.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm asking this crew here, would a motoE 2nd gen work for this guy? I have one I would send him for shipping cost. It is in good to excellent shape. Not a lot bigger than the fuel. I have one of those,too, if needed, same price, same shape.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I'm asking this crew here, would a motoE 2nd gen work for this guy? I have one I would send him for shipping cost. It is in good to excellent shape. Not a lot bigger than the fuel. I have one of those,too, if needed, same price, same shape.
    I'm in the same boat. I have a Fuel now. There's the Optimus Zone 3...but you really need to be careful. There's the K4 V425 version which is the only one I believe that supports VoLTE. You see allot of Zone 3's advertised and I'm still zeroing in on how to tell which really is the Verizon K4. Been basically running IMEI numbers on the Verizon site to make sure. Most Ebay sellers won't answer the VoLTE question, won't give the IMEI, are clueless, or have flat out been lying. The K4 has a 4.5" display. Draw back it's android 5.1 and won't upgrade beyond that so it has a limited new app life. I hate to go to IPhone because of what may be a steep learning curve (is it really ?); it is more pricey but as mentioned the SE has a 4" display. The A1662 model of the SE is the only one allowed on Verizon and most are universal unlocked...another plus. Need to look into that ZTE that was mentioned above. There's several 5" display options out there, but even 5" is to big for my usage and pocket practicality. No I'm not hanging it on my belt. There's talk that the mfg's may be wising up next year to the demand for smaller smartphones; even smart flips like in Asia. I hope someone has some other sub 5" recommendations.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    There's several 5" display options out there, but even 5" is to big for my usage and pocket practicality.
    Small pockets?

I carried a 5.2" phone in a thick case (Otterbox Defender) in my pocket for several years.

I now carry a 5.5" phone in a slightly less bulky case. Again no problems with pocket carry.

I don't wear baggy pants, just normal slacks and comfortably jeans (I out grew tight jeans 20 years ago).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I'm asking this crew here, would a motoE 2nd gen work for this guy?
    An old Moto E2 is likely not going to be VoLTE capable, which is essential now for Verizon service.

Feedback Score
    Most Ebay sellers won't answer the VoLTE question, won't give the IMEI, are clueless, or have flat out been lying.
    Yes, there is a lot of ignorance and deception about the VoLTE situation by sellers. Just a few months ago TracFone was dumping some old 3G phones that were not going to be able to be activated on Verizon after end of this year. There are eBay sellers that list old 2G only AT&T phones that can't be activated or used anymore. No warnings-no ethics!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here`s hoping than every inexperienced recipient of a Verizon phone for Christmas, activates it before the year`s end.

There is even the question of changing a phone number next year, since it deactivates the (non-VoLTE) Verizon phone/SIM?
    Are there other unsuspecting ways to de-activate a Verizon phone/SIM?
    Will a TF CSR know that what they are about to do would render the non-VoLTE Verizon phone/SIM cellular useless?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    How interesting to find fellow Fuel people! I keep one on Red Pocket as the VZ network emergency device and boy is that keyboard small... cannot imaging OP's relative using this for anything but voice. The memory is also tiny and keeping it on the google ecosystem has pushed it as the play updates just keep getting larger. It's tempting to just factory reset it and not log into google to save that RAM.

I'm guessing that even without VoLTE it should hang on for a couple of years more as the glovebox phone.

I kind of liked the suggestion of the iPhone SE for a modern candy bar for mainly voice use for a senior. The price has come down and the hardware is very reliable. Changing ecosystems might be a hurdle but if it is a mainly voice device that helps a lot. The budget unlocked universal Moto devices sound good because they can be activated anywhere which can mean cutting the phone bill by a lot.

Feedback Score
    ...I hate to go to IPhone because of what may be a steep learning curve (is it really ?)...
    There is really not much difference between how to use iPhone and Android for routine things. You touch an icon and the app starts on the screen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    How interesting to find fellow Fuel people! I keep one on Red Pocket as the VZ network emergency device and boy is that keyboard small... cannot imaging OP's relative using this for anything but voice. The memory is also tiny and keeping it on the google ecosystem has pushed it as the play updates just keep getting larger. It's tempting to just factory reset it and not log into google to save that RAM.
    I manage my friend's Tracfone. She's approaching 70. She has been using a Fuel on TF/Verizon since 2014. Previously, she mainly used it for calls and the occasional SMS text. But now with her daughter expecting the first baby, the texting has increased and more pictures being sent, the keyboard and screen are too small for that. Recently I upgraded her phone to the ZTE Majesty Pro Plus (refurbished). With the bigger screen, bigger keyboard, more internal memory for app upgrades, and VoLTE-enabled, all for 10 bucks, she's very happy with it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Will a TF CSR know that what they are about to do would render the non-VoLTE Verizon phone/SIM cellular useless?
    I can virtually guaranty they won't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast