Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First MVNO - US Mobile - Big Disappointment so far

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

First MVNO - US Mobile - Big Disappointment so far

Well I have a dual sim phone now and I wanted to try a MVNO for my second line. US Mobile has flexible plans so it would let me try this 2-sim set up at a cheap price. So far, I'm not impressed with US Mobile.

I am posting to find out if my experience is typical for MVNO's, or are my expectations too high?

1) I read through their website at the plans and fees. Their site says the activation process is quick and easy. In fact it mentions "2 Minutes". I found a plan that should suit my needs for testing and maybe more. So, I ordered their sim and got it a few days later.

2) I went through the activation and plan ordering process.
    - The $10 plan I signed up for comes out to $14.15 per month. WTH? During checkout they add a $2/mo service fee and $2.15 in taxes. Is this standard (40% being added to your plan)?
    - The activation failed. I spent nearly an hour on the chat line working with the rep to get the card activated. They said they'd need a Tech to look at it. Hours later, I went back into chat and the the rep said it still wasn't working, and could take another 24-48 hours. Well there goes the 2 minutes.

3) When I politely expressed my disappointment in their service so far, he got short and rude. I don't think I was out of line in saying I am disappointed after having the tack on 41.5% in undisclosed fees (only disclosed AFTER you buy your sim card and do the activation process). The to spend over an hour on the activation, only to not still not have it activated.

I know stuff happens, but the lack of disclosure about the Service Fee and Taxes seems shady to me. And to advertise "2 minute" activation and have it take over an hour, and still not be working, is crap too. Then to have the rep get annoyed that I'm not happy with their service o far was a bit too much.

They seemed to have the attitude that if you don't like undisclosed fees, oh well. And we will fix your activation when we get around to it. We have your money now, so what's the problem?

Well, please let me know if this is normal, or if I expect too much from an MVNO, by asking them to do what thier own website says.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccombs View Post
    Well I have a dual sim phone now and I wanted to try a MVNO for my second line. US Mobile has flexible plans so it would let me try this 2-sim set up at a cheap price. So far, I'm not impressed with US Mobile.

I am posting to find out if my experience is typical for MVNO's, or are my expectations too high?

1) I read through their website at the plans and fees. Their site says the activation process is quick and easy. In fact it mentions "2 Minutes". I found a plan that should suit my needs for testing and maybe more. So, I ordered their sim and got it a few days later.

2) I went through the activation and plan ordering process.
    - The $10 plan I signed up for comes out to $14.15 per month. WTH? During checkout they add a $2/mo service fee and $2.15 in taxes. Is this standard (40% being added to your plan)?
    - The activation failed. I spent nearly an hour on the chat line working with the rep to get the card activated. They said they'd need a Tech to look at it. Hours later, I went back into chat and the the rep said it still wasn't working, and could take another 24-48 hours. Well there goes the 2 minutes.

3) When I politely expressed my disappointment in their service so far, he got short and rude. I don't think I was out of line in saying I am disappointed after having the tack on 41.5% in undisclosed fees (only disclosed AFTER you buy your sim card and do the activation process). The to spend over an hour on the activation, only to not still not have it activated.

I know stuff happens, but the lack of disclosure about the Service Fee and Taxes seems shady to me. And to advertise "2 minute" activation and have it take over an hour, and still not be working, is crap too. Then to have the rep get annoyed that I'm not happy with their service o far was a bit too much.

They seemed to have the attitude that if you don't like undisclosed fees, oh well. And we will fix your activation when we get around to it. We have your money now, so what's the problem?

Well, please let me know if this is normal, or if I expect too much from an MVNO, by asking them to do what thier own website says.
    The fee thing is sort of rediclus

But you say dual sim? What device is that? And what part of US mobile are you using? I think they use both Verizon or T-Mobile.

Dual sim devices most commonly main sim is LTE while 2nd would be edge only and if Verizon it’s not going to work with US mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    They used to disclose that on their website more clearly. I do see mention of (when you choose a custom plan) "A low monthly bill of (not including taxes)" but no mention of that other fee like they used to plainly disclose

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    No. Not all MVNOs are like that.

What dual SIM phone do you have?

Feedback Score
    There are shady ones and good ones. US Mobile is pretty shady. FreedomPop is super shady. And many of the others are not shady at all.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm sorry for not being more clear about the Dual Sim phone. I have the iPhone XS which allows for 1 e-sim, and 1 physical sim. I currently have the e-sim set up with T-Mobile which covers my main phone, text, and data. This is working fine.

I want to use the physical sim slot for another line with voice and text. US Mobile has an option for Tmobile or Verizon. US Mobile says my phone will work with their Verizon card, and this is what I wanted so I have overall better coverage.

I just checked and they still haven't been able to activate my sim card. WTH???

Feedback Score
    US mobile used to show a lot of promise, but in the past few months they’ve descended into a pretty crappy company. On the Verizon side for their unlimited plan they went from a soft cap/deprioritized after so many gigabytes method to a straight hard throttle of 128kbps after you’ve used 14, 16, or 20GBs (or somewhere around there) depending in which unlimited tier you’re on. It’s not clear on their website either, you have to dig for it. With their bogus fees and high taxes, they’re pretty uncompetitive now.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    US mobile used to show a lot of promise, but in the past few months they’ve descended into a pretty crappy company. On the Verizon side for their unlimited plan they went from a soft cap/deprioritized after so many gigabytes method to a straight hard throttle of 128kbps after you’ve used 14, 16, or 20GBs (or somewhere around there) depending in which unlimited tier you’re on. It’s not clear on their website either, you have to dig for it. With their bogus fees and high taxes, they’re pretty uncompetitive now.
    Yes, at this point, I think I should just have them cancel/refund the monthly payment I was signing up for. I'll have to eat the cost of the sim card, but it will be better than dealing with a poor company.

Is there another MVNO that you would recommend? I am looking for a Verizon based line. I will just using text and voice (no data). I want to keep it low cost since it's just for occasional use. I already have a full unlimited plan for my Primary line.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Page plus standard plan for just talk and text over Verizon. They allow LTE now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'll just point out that there may be issues with any Vzw MVNO activating a SIM on an iPhone with an eSIM, only because it's relatively new, and probably many MVNOs won't know exactly what to do at first.

That being said, I would suggest trying boom! as they seem to try very hard to do what's right for the customer, and I think a boom! rep stated previously on HoFo that they could deal with eSIM iPhones. Perhaps chat with them first, and if necessary, ask the chat CSR for management (Jeff or Charles) input. www.boom.us

Good luck, and please keep us updated on how it turns out, no matter which Vzw MVNO you decide to go with.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'll just point out that there may be issues with any Vzw MVNO activating a SIM on an iPhone with an eSIM, only because it's relatively new, and probably many MVNOs won't know exactly what to do at first.

That being said, I would suggest trying boom! as they seem to try very hard to do what's right for the customer, and I think a boom! rep stated previously on HoFo that they could deal with eSIM iPhones. Perhaps chat with them first, and if necessary, ask the chat CSR for management (Jeff or Charles) input. www.boom.us

Good luck, and please keep us updated on how it turns out, no matter which Vzw MVNO you decide to go with.
    I don't think the esim setup is impacting US Mobile. I already had the e-sim working on my phone. US Mobile had problems activating my sim card. I hadn't even put the sim in my phone yet. The error they get is related to an "Invalid Expiration Date".

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Boom.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Page plus standard plan for just talk and text over Verizon. They allow LTE now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    The website use to disclose the extra monthly fee but now I don't see it so that is really bad if they don't tell you. I thought it use to be a $4 fee but not sure.

However, they do say "not including taxes". I would not blame them on taxes because they are complex to calculate and can vary in every city so it is hard to tell you what they are in advance.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No MVNO can get away with waiving taxes. And as brad4cell says they can't quote tax cost because it differs in each locale. They did bury the $2 monthly fee - it used to be on the table that shows you costs for each service (text, calls, data). Sounds like you were given a Verizon sim that is defective, and there may be problems with the supplier. Unfortunate. If CS has been rude, that's usually an indicator that there are issues with the carrier and they've been hearing about it from the customers.

On the T-Mo side, I've found them to be very responsive, courteous, and willing to help.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    See also this thread further down. Dual Sim I-Phone with Verizon on the e-sim. User wants to add Simple Mobile via sim card and is having similar problems.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...I-get-my-phone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast