Thread: SMS delivery reports with Bell network

Hybrid View

Feedback Score

SMS delivery reports with Bell network

TL/DR - Can anyone confirm if the Bell network supports outgoing SMS delivery reports?

I just switched from Koodo where I would get SMS delivery reports, but I am not receiving them from Bell. I swapped SIM cards with my old and new phones, and have ruled out the devices - it’s definitely the network. Strangely enough, I do get sent/delivered timestamps on INCOMING SMS/MMS messages.

As Koodo uses the Bell/Telus network, I find this rather odd.

I called Bell tech support twice, and it seems that both agents didn’t really get what I was talking about. I find delivery reports incredibly useful to know when the recipient actually gets the texts, for when their phone is off/battery dead/etc…

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I've never used it before. Just enabled it on Android Messages, and there's no indication that messages were read by the other person.

This is a feature on the core network, so that's why it's different between Bell and Telus.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mddrouillard View Post
    This is how rcs messaging works on bell. Only certain handsets.

Feedback Score
    I just came across that link! I guess Bell calls it "Advanced Messaging". It says that it is supported on the Samsung Galaxy S7, which is one of the two phones which I've tried it on. When I have the Koodo SIM inserted, it works as shown in the link, but when I have the Bell SIM inserted it doesn't. Similarly, when I have the Koodo SIM inserted in my Huawei P20 Pro, it shows when texts were delivered, but when I have the Bell SIM inserted it doesn't.

I agree it sounds a lot like RCS, but that is relatively new and I've had this working for many years with Koodo. Actually, a Google search comes up with forums discussing "delivery reports" going back to at least 2010!

I'm going to call Tech Support in the morning, but this time refer to it as "Advanced Messaging" and see what they say.

Feedback Score
    Remember it would only work if the person you are texting also has one of these handsets as well and likely only if they are also on the bell network. If you privately message me we can try it as I have such a handset and I am on bell. I have never seen the delivery feedback because most of my contacts do not have a compatible handset that I know of.

Feedback Score
    So a quick update...

I called Bell tech support on Friday and the agent said that Advanced Messaging wasn't enabled on my account. She said for some reason the system wasn't allowing her to add it to my account, but after about 10 minutes she told me that she was finally able to add it. She said it could take up to 24 hours to kick in, and to call them back if it still wasn't working.

It still isn't working so looks like I'll be calling back tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Feedback Score
    I am also going to contact support and ensure that advanced messaging is active on my profile.