Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tm lied to fcc about lte coverage?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

Tm lied to fcc about lte coverage?

Article

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ers-say/?amp=1 ok

I have no interest in this news article, except the info there in
    Last edited by plane; 12-13-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad that the FCC set up a process whereby carriers' claimed coverage can be challenged.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    All the carriers need to be held accountable for their inaccurate maps. At least with T-Mobile, you can see the areas with certified coverage from users. This is usually a good indicator of true coverage and I’ve found it better replicates reality.

Verizon is the worst; their coverage is laughably overstated and they just paint everything red with no signal strength detail. And much of that red “LTE” is no coverage, 3G etc

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    All the carriers need to be held accountable for their inaccurate maps. At least with T-Mobile, you can see the areas with certified coverage from users. This is usually a good indicator of true coverage and I’ve found it better replicates reality.

Verizon is the worst; their coverage is laughably overstated and they just paint everything red with no signal strength detail. And much of that red “LTE” is no coverage, 3G etc
    I agree, when the Tm coverage map is at maximum magnification, usually the coverage is about as indicated, and yes they're all in error to some extent.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post

I wouldn’t put any money on Verizon being worse than Big Magenta with regard to map accuracy. Suffice to say they all exaggerate their coverage. What I found interesting is this puffery on the part of the large cell phone companies precludes many areas being declared under serviced, which prevents smaller companies from gaining a foothold in these areas. I’m guessing Big Magenta as well as Big Red and Big Blue has more than one reason for fudging the numbers.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T claims they have LTE service at my house and it is a total lie. They have lied about their useless service for ten years that was a scam to force customers to pay hundreds of dollars for boosters. Where can I report AT&T that ripped me off for years with their fake worthless service scam.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ive been fighting T-Mobile on their coverage since 2015. Claimed and verified service where none exists.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've found that fair coverage often = no service. Click around the T-Mobile map of Alabama and you'll find that most area 10-15 miles off the highway has 'fair' coverage...

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Everyone needs to be aware that what is being discussed is not the carriers' coverage maps from their websites but rather the "Form 477" data that was submitted to the FCC as a legally certified document.

https://www.fcc.gov/mobile-deployment-form-477-data

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Everyone needs to be aware that what is being discussed is not the carriers' coverage maps from their websites but rather the "Form 477" data that was submitted to the FCC as a legally certified document.

https://www.fcc.gov/mobile-deployment-form-477-data
    So if found guilty at worst T-Mobile and Verizon will get a small fine. With T-Mobile deploying new spectrum they can just blame this on Refarming spectrum for adding Band 71. Verizon won't have that refarming excuse for their issue.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    they can just blame this on Refarming spectrum for adding Band 71
    Huh? They aren't refarming band 71.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    So if found guilty at worst T-Mobile and Verizon will get a small fine. With T-Mobile deploying new spectrum they can just blame this on Refarming spectrum for adding Band 71. Verizon won't have that refarming excuse for their issue.
    Yeah, the Rural Wireless Association came out and said they think Tmobile was just showing expected coverage in areas they are rolling out band 71.

Verizon isn't rolling out a new band anywhere. They could though have also shown areas where they are building out coverage. I don't know how likely that is and certainly if they've been showing this for some time they're fibbing.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Huh? They aren't refarming band 71.
    From TV spectrum to Cell phone is a refarm of spectrum. It is no different than Metro PCS network spectrum being refarmed.... You are Really nitpicking the term as if it was important change to my statement that didn't made any difference.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Yeah, the Rural Wireless Association came out and said they think Tmobile was just showing expected coverage in areas they are rolling out band 71.

Verizon isn't rolling out a new band anywhere. They could though have also shown areas where they are building out coverage. I don't know how likely that is and certainly if they've been showing this for some time they're fibbing.
    Correct... from this story that also included this statement;

" As RWA members continued taking speed tests, "they witnessed coverage go up where there had previously been none the month (or even week) before," the RWA filing said. "Also, in many areas where T-Mobile reported coverage, cell sites supposed to be providing that purported coverage had not been even placed into operation. Further, in many of the areas where T-Mobile has claimed coverage, the carrier is using satellite backhaul. In these locations, backhaul speed and latency limitations make hitting speeds of 5Mbps down impossible—regardless of other network inputs."

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Correct... from this story that also included this statement;

" As RWA members continued taking speed tests, "they witnessed coverage go up where there had previously been none the month (or even week) before," the RWA filing said. "Also, in many areas where T-Mobile reported coverage, cell sites supposed to be providing that purported coverage had not been even placed into operation. Further, in many of the areas where T-Mobile has claimed coverage, the carrier is using satellite backhaul. In these locations, backhaul speed and latency limitations make hitting speeds of 5Mbps down impossible—regardless of other network inputs."
    This is exactly my experience. I noticed the T-Mobile maps upgraded my residential area from Fair to Good recently. Great, signed on to Mint with a newish phone so I’d have the correct bands. Well, the cell signal was still unusable for calls and the signal strength - 118 to -124 hadn’t changed at all. So, I can rejoice that my map coverage went from Fair to Good. Unfortunately, actual coverage didn’t change at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast