Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How valid is this somewhat critical T-Mobile post on Reddit?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / LeEco Pro3
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score

How valid is this somewhat critical T-Mobile post on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ting/commen..._this/e5cxh5j/

It caught my interest only because the number of calls going straight to voicemail without the phone ringing has gone up considerably as of late. I own a Band 12, VoLTE/Wifi supported phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    As valid as a somewhat positive post on reddit.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

I've had plenty of missed calls on tmobile and generally took it as being a congestion problem. Performance can suffer without having the more recent bands but I've still had some call issues even with newer phones like the s9 and newer iPhones.

In some cases the missed calls could be lack of bands/proper phone but it seems like congestion has been a factor too in some cases

A friend had ting with a new phone and still had issues so I'm not completely sure of the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by themanhimself; 12-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    The problem with T-Mobile is simple, they run 2G GSM, 3G UMTS, 4G LTE "Built for Unlimited" and now they wanna have 5G. They don't have enough spectrum for all of that. VoLTE, unlike legacy systems, doesn't work on PCS or AWS (that's what they say, and if it's true, it's very bad) and their 2G / 3G networks are so strangled they're losing reliability.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrores View Post
    The problem with T-Mobile is simple, they run 2G GSM, 3G UMTS, 4G LTE "Built for Unlimited" and now they wanna have 5G. They don't have enough spectrum for all of that. VoLTE, unlike legacy systems, doesn't work on PCS or AWS (that's what they say, and if it's true, it's very bad) and their 2G / 3G networks are so strangled they're losing reliability.
    Not sure why VoLTE wouldn't work on B2 or 4/66. It does on AT&T and they use the same vendors/equipment. Didn't they have VoLTE deployed before the big B12 rollout?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    VoLTE should run at least through B2 as there were, and still are, sites running B2 GSM/LTE as the primary carriers before B12 was added. I'm talking the more rural sites that T-Mobile had to sort of economize the upgrades due to equipment space and minimize antenna work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+, Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ting/commen..._this/e5cxh5j/

It caught my interest only because the number of calls going straight to voicemail without the phone ringing has gone up considerably as of late. I own a Band 12, VoLTE/Wifi supported phone.
    I had a bunch of calls not ring on my iPhone on AT&T yesterday. It happens occasionally with any carrier.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ....VoLTE, unlike legacy systems, doesn't work on PCS or AWS (that's what they say, and if it's true, it's very bad) and their 2G / 3G networks are so strangled they're losing reliability.
    Who is "they"?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / LeEco Pro3
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Not sure why VoLTE wouldn't work on B2 or 4/66. It does on AT&T and they use the same vendors/equipment. Didn't they have VoLTE deployed before the big B12 rollout?
    I think it's a misinterpretation. While Band 12 must support VoLTE, he infers VoLTE must use Band 12 which I believe is incorrect.

Device(s)
    Galaxy A8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Who is "they"?
    T-Mobile. That article on reddit says that T-Mobile said that: "Then, T-Mobile launched Voice over LTE, or VoLTE. But, they made the stipulation that VoLTE would only ever work on LTE Band 12."

I think it's a misinterpretation. While Band 12 must support VoLTE, he infers VoLTE must use Band 12 which I believe is incorrect.
    You're right, whoever wrote that article on reddit got that wrong. T-Mobile didn't say such thing, which I didn't believe in the first place.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones
    All Band 12 LTE devices on our network must support VoLTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile. That article on reddit says that T-Mobile said that: "Then, T-Mobile launched Voice over LTE, or VoLTE. But, they made the stipulation that VoLTE would only ever work on LTE Band 12."...
    Yeah. That's bogus. Unlike mid-band phones, band-12 phones must support VoLTE. This is because mid-band devices can fall back to either 2G GSM or 3G WCDMA for E911 but band-12 does not support those technologies. It's LTE-only so band-12 devices must support VoLTE to be compliant with E911 regulations.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Why would the user just not update their handsets. Naturally older phones don't have the latest bands, but even most of the cheapest new ones are so equipped. Things move on. Is someone suggesting that Tm or whatever carrier is making changes just to annoy customers. I doubt it. More than likely to try to improve coverage etc, etc. Good!

Feedback Score
    The post contains completely wrong information. This person doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bad information:

"But, they made the stipulation that VoLTE would only ever work on LTE Band 12." FALSE.

"That means that any phone that didn't specifically have Band 12 LTE would still have to use the 2G 1900MHz frequency to send all calls and text messages. " FALSE

"Any phone that did support Band 12 could use VoLTE and would send all their calls and texts through that VoLTE Band 12 connection." FALSE

"This doesn't affect the phone's ability to connect to the 3G network or 4G LTE Bands 2 and 4, which lots of phones support. But calls and texts don't travel over those networks. " Ridiculously FALSE and an example of how poorly informed this person is. Calls travel over all of those networks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    ..... Is someone suggesting that Tm or whatever carrier is making changes just to annoy customers. I doubt it. More than likely to try to improve coverage etc, etc. Good!
    The other carriers have had a fairly stable network portfolio. For instance, AT&T still runs WCDMA on bands 2 & 5, even if that may not be the most efficient distribution. This means that a customer can still get by with an old iPhone 3GS, if he likes. Verizon, for the moment, is still running CDMA on bands 2 & 5. Old phones from 15 years ago will still work. OTHO, in some markets, T-Mobile has skinned down GSM to the point that it barely functions and has moved WCDMA to band 4, where many phones can't find it. They have large areas covered only by their fairly recent band-12 and are planning much more covered only by the brand-spanking-new band-71. To some customers (particularly those who came from AT&T or Verizon) it might be reasonable to conclude that T-Mobile is making these changes just to force them to buy new phones. In reality, it's just a byproduct of T-Mobile having very little low-band (none to begin with) and having to employ green-field spectrum, for which new phones are required. Also, they are a data-centric carrier but rather short of spectrum in some places, requiring them to make the most of what they have. In other words, they got there honestly. It's hard to explain to a non-techie who knows that their phone worked on AT&T and now it doesn't work so well on T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / LeEco Pro3
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    As valid as a somewhat positive post on reddit.
    Based on the replies here I'm going to question positive reviews accordingly using your logic. Thanks for the head's up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast