Thread: Will ordering but not activating a new line spoil the discount on the GF 5 for $100?

Feedback Score

Will ordering but not activating a new line spoil the discount on the GF 5 for $100?

Will ordering but not activating a new line spoil the discount on the GF (grandfathered) 5 for $100?

This question gets asked sometimes in cricket phone promo threads but the responses get buried among all the other comments. I recall answers like I wouldn't try it, it's not worth the risk, and maybe even one it worked for me. But these answers are hard to search for (or at least hard for me). Inspired by this thread about activating a new sim and the impact (if any) on the grandfathered discount, I thought we could use a separate thread on this particular question. If you're not on the grandfathered 5/$100 discount, then this really doesn't matter to you (other than trying to get deals on phones).

If you're like me, you are always looking for deals on buying phones to upgrade existing lines. Existing lines don't get the promo pricing and get hosed with a $25 upgrade so most of us are adding a new line with no intention of activating it. It's great when cricket has promo pricing (port in or new line) like they do now on the galaxy and iphone offerings, but it sucks that you can only order one per account per 90 days. Adding a new line to an existing account let's you keep the $30 in service credit to use on existing lines when you don't activate the new line. You just put the sim from the existing line into the new phone and toss the new sim. Whereas creating a new account means you lose the $30 in service credit unless you sell or have a use for the new line.

In the thread I referenced above, energyx shared the Cricket policy on this matter:
    "Note for existing Group Save customers with 4 or 5 line accounts as of Nov. 4, 2017: If you make changes to your account after Nov. 4, 2017, you will begin receiving the new Group Save discounts at the start of your next billing cycle. Account changes include changing your plan, adding a line, canceling a line, moving a line to a different account, or restoring a canceled line. The new Group Save discounts will reduce your discounts on line 4 (from $30 to $20) and line 5 (from $40 to $20) as applicable."

Another place on the site: https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...ngesGSDiscount

"Account Changes that will automatically move you to the new discount:
    Add a new line
    Cancel a line or transfer a phone number to another carrier
    Change a plan
    Move a line from one account to another (both old and new account will receive new discounts)
    Restore a suspended or canceled line"
    This language makes it clear that adding a line to an existing account puts you in the current group save discounts which will cost you another $30 a month which adds up over time. But the issue is whether or not this discount goes away when you place the order or later when you get the phone and activate the new line.

Has anyone tried adding a line to an existing 5/$100 but not activating it? Did the discount go away (i.e. you were charged more for existing lines) when the line was ordered? Or did nothing happen until the line was activated? If nothing happens until activation, then ordering but not activating may not affect the grandfathered discount.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    This is a good question, and if someone was ready to move off a grandfathered plan already they would be a great way to test.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
    Will ordering but not activating a new line spoil the discount on the GF (grandfathered) 5 for $100?

This question gets asked sometimes in cricket phone promo threads but the responses get buried among all the other comments. I recall answers like I wouldn't try it, it's not worth the risk, and maybe even one it worked for me. But these answers are hard to search for (or at least hard for me). Inspired by this thread about activating a new sim and the impact (if any) on the grandfathered discount, I thought we could use a separate thread on this particular question. If you're not on the grandfathered 5/$100 discount, then this really doesn't matter to you (other than trying to get deals on phones).

If you're like me, you are always looking for deals on buying phones to upgrade existing lines. Existing lines don't get the promo pricing and get hosed with a $25 upgrade so most of us are adding a new line with no intention of activating it. It's great when cricket has promo pricing (port in or new line) like they do now on the galaxy and iphone offerings, but it sucks that you can only order one per account per 90 days. Adding a new line to an existing account let's you keep the $30 in service credit to use on existing lines when you don't activate the new line. You just put the sim from the existing line into the new phone and toss the new sim. Whereas creating a new account means you lose the $30 in service credit unless you sell or have a use for the new line.

In the thread I referenced above, energyx shared the Cricket policy on this matter:

This language makes it clear that adding a line to an existing account puts you in the current group save discounts which will cost you another $30 a month which adds up over time. But the issue is whether or not this discount goes away when you place the order or later when you get the phone and activate the new line.

Has anyone tried adding a line to an existing 5/$100 but not activating it? Did the discount go away (i.e. you were charged more for existing lines) when the line was ordered? Or did nothing happen until the line was activated? If nothing happens until activation, then ordering but not activating may not affect the grandfathered discount.

Any experiences would be appreciated.
    I didn't realize that you could add a sixth line to a 5/$100 plan. How much did this cost when the 5/$100 was still available? It could not have been much less than the $30 you pay for one month of 2GB service.

Unfortunately, eating the $30 cost for one month of service seems to be unavoidable. The savings on a phone for a new account, versus a new phone on an existing line, is still significant, the $30 for one month is only $5 more than the $25 upgrade fee, and the savings a new phone on a new account is up to $100. You still have to spend $4 or so for a T-Mobile number to port into Cricket (and BTW, don't buy just the SIM card number, buy the SIM card number AND a phone number because to activate just the SIM number on T-Mobile is not free, they make you spend at least $3).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I didn't realize that you could add a sixth line to a 5/$100 plan. How much did this cost when the 5/$100 was still available? It could not have been much less than the $30 you pay for one month of 2GB service.
    Back then, there was no discount on the 6th line (or any others you added to a 5/$100 account). So most folks who needed more than 5 (me included) started a separate account with a referral and went from there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    You still have to spend $4 or so for a T-Mobile number to port into Cricket (and BTW, don't buy just the SIM card number, buy the SIM card number AND a phone number because to activate just the SIM number on T-Mobile is not free, they make you spend at least $3).
    Or spend $5 at Tello if you have a spare Sprint phone (or IMEI) laying around. I did just that so I wouldn't have to wait for the eBay seller. You will have immediate access to port out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Or spend $5 at Tello if you have a spare Sprint phone (or IMEI) laying around. I did just that so I wouldn't have to wait for the eBay seller. You will have immediate access to port out.
    The eBay seller of a SIM card number sent it right away. But in the past I had been able to activate without adding money to the account by calling T-Mobile. This time they insisted on me adding $10 credit. On the web site there's an option for "I don't need a plan" but if you click that it doesn't let you activate. You have to spend $3 on the pay as you go plan. Easier to buy an activated phone number for a couple of dollars more.

Feedback Score
    Just bumping this to see if there have been any stories to share in the last year: