Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worth starting new sprint service before merger, to keep a cheap plan afterward?

Feedback Score

Worth starting new sprint service before merger, to keep a cheap plan afterward?

I've been on Tmo SCNA Family for a long while, averaging out to around $18/line, and have very little/no familiarity with sprint plans, but I know they have some that are 'free' except for the tax.

Does anyone think it's worth starting Sprint lines before the merger, in the event they grandfather these in? At this point I'm likely not risking my SCNA since it's the cheapest Tmo option available for what I need, but curious what others might think will happen.

Cheers

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The super-cheap Sprint plans that I know of are "promotional" and expire after a year. I doubt that T-Mobile would extend free service after the 1-year promo period expires.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    So specific TnT&data usages have nothing to do with this decision?
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 03.13.19

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If current SCNA data buckets work for you, keep that. The freebie lines from Sorint go to $140 or so for 4 lines and the I think $20/line thereafter once the year is up. The older version of the free plan was more like T-Mobile One ((plus tax though) but the New version is more like Essentials since it has minimal hotspot and deprioritization.

If you need more data, the its hard to beat fee for a year, though taxes and fees are $5 for one line for me.

Also remember that Sprint needs a CDMA capable phone from an approved list of models for that plan.

Feedback Score
    I would do that

Feedback Score
    Wondering what they'll do to sprint SWAC lines. For $50 you can get Sprint Unlimited Plus with Hulu, Tidal, Amazon Prime membership, Lookout Premium Plus, 50GB LTE Mobile Hotspot, Streaming in full HD, Unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data in Canada and Mexico

Some of these perks are not offered by Tmobile

Feedback Score
    Could be worth it. Sprint is a lot more giving with things such as hotspot and HD streaming than TMobile is. Even on the prepaid side, if it looks like Tmobile will get to keep Boost, it may be worth it to grab one of those Boost plans for $60 with 30gb of hotspot and HD streaming included. You won't see a plan like that offered on TMobile prepaid or Metro.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone 4s (16gb)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I’m thinking about the 50gb for $50 hotspot plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Wondering what they'll do to sprint SWAC lines. For $50 you can get Sprint Unlimited Plus with Hulu, Tidal, Amazon Prime membership, Lookout Premium Plus, 50GB LTE Mobile Hotspot, Streaming in full HD, Unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data in Canada and Mexico

Some of these perks are not offered by Tmobile
    True. I helped a friend score a SWAC line back in September, it's at $30 plus tax with those benefits. Hit up the Sprint Reddit to request a reference.

Another option is the free line or the kickstart unless you need hotspot.

SWAC is the best deal going IMO if coverage works. My guess is that Sprint plans should be good for a few years to come. Nothing is guaranteed but hopefully they won't be shutting down the network for a while and when they do it should not be hard for my friend to swap for a TMO sim as he uses an iPhone, lives in a city with all 4 networks and doesn't travel often.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Once the merger goes through, ALL Sprint customers will be migrated to Tmobile slowly. This will happen within the 1st year of the merger. Everyone will be merged by the end of the 1st year. All Sprint customers will be offered a current Tmobile plan and im sure something extra to sweeten the transition. For those that do not transfer over, they will be given a notice of disconnection of service or to port their # out. This happened when i worked for Sprint and they purchased Nextel. If you dont want to stay you can leave but no plan will be grandfathered in and the reason for this is because there is no compatible tmobile plan. Tmobile will not configure a plan just for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    Once the merger goes through, ALL Sprint customers will be migrated to Tmobile slowly. This will happen within the 1st year of the merger. Everyone will be merged by the end of the 1st year. All Sprint customers will be offered a current Tmobile plan and im sure something extra to sweeten the transition. For those that do not transfer over, they will be given a notice of disconnection of service or to port their # out. This happened when i worked for Sprint and they purchased Nextel. If you dont want to stay you can leave but no plan will be grandfathered in and the reason for this is because there is no compatible tmobile plan. Tmobile will not configure a plan just for you.
    I'm not too sure on this. John Legere testified before Congress that all Sprint plans will be honored after the merger. Now he could change his mind on that but it wouldn't look the best if so, and there really is no reason not to as TMobile honors all their previous discounted plans they currently do not offer. I can see TMobile honoring Sprint pricing the same way they honor their grandfathered plans, you can keep your plan as long as you make no changes to it, won't be eligible for free line add-ons, free device promos, etc.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wasnt aware of the testifying part by JL regarding honoring sprint plans. I worked for Sprint and there are maybe 10,000 different plans out there. Every month we had new plans. We shal see.......

Feedback Score
    I wasnt aware of the testifying part by JL regarding honoring sprint plans. I worked for Sprint and there are maybe 10,000 different plans out there. Every month we had new plans. We shal see.......
    Yeah, one of the Congress members directly asked the question and he did say they will honor sprints pricing. That could definitely change, but TMobile does have a very good track record of grandfathering in old plans. Here's a link to John saying they will honor pricing. https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...628-story.html

"Legere also vowed that the new T-Mobile will honor the bargain prices that Sprint currently charges to its customers, pitching the merger as the path to increased competition in the broadband industry."

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yomuppet View Post
    I've been on Tmo SCNA Family for a long while, averaging out to around $18/line, and have very little/no familiarity with sprint plans, but I know they have some that are 'free' except for the tax.

Does anyone think it's worth starting Sprint lines before the merger, in the event they grandfather these in? At this point I'm likely not risking my SCNA since it's the cheapest Tmo option available for what I need, but curious what others might think will happen.

Cheers
    Most likely T-Mo would make you switch to one of their plans anyway. They may let you keep it for a little, but don't think they will let you ride it out once they merge and get everything rolling.

Feedback Score
    Once the merger goes through, ALL Sprint customers will be migrated to Tmobile slowly. This will happen within the 1st year of the merger. Everyone will be merged by the end of the 1st year. All Sprint customers will be offered a current Tmobile plan and im sure something extra to sweeten the transition. For those that do not transfer over, they will be given a notice of disconnection of service or to port their # out.
    This is just something you completely made up. Not only does it not match Legere's testimony, there's simply no reason to do it.

It would obviously be a bad decision to tell customers, hey, change to a T-Mobile plan or port out. That would cause revenue to walk out the door when all they have to do is grandfather every plan and keep the money rolling in.

This happened when i worked for Sprint and they purchased Nextel. If you dont want to stay you can leave but no plan will be grandfathered in and the reason for this is because there is no compatible tmobile plan. Tmobile will not configure a plan just for you.
    Yes, and it's documented history how poorly the Nextel acquisition went and how many customers were lost when they did that. So you're making my point for me. Fortunately Legere is much smarter that the "genius" who came up with the Sprint/Nextel policy you described.

One of the main points of the acquisition is to add all of that revenue and all of those customers in one fell swoop to put them on a more equal footing with AT&T and Verizon. Chasing away good customers because one is to lazy to configure their billing systems defeats the whole purpose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast