Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Cricket Text Message about Unauthorized "Mobile Hotspot"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cricket Text Message about Unauthorized "Mobile Hotspot"

    Hello All -

    I just got this text from Cricket a few Minutes ago... Has anyone else received this message to their phone? I have an Essential Phone and I just use the Mobile Hotspot feature for the tablet in my car to be able to use Waze/ Google Maps... Does anyone know what Cricket will do if I continue to use it?


    Name:  Cricket.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  30.9 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,577
    Feedback Score
    0
    Rumor has it that this message only goes out to some that are using Hotspot with unlimited plans. Which Cricket plan are you on???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,500
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HSelznick View Post
    Hello All -

    I just got this text from Cricket a few Minutes ago... Has anyone else received this message to their phone? I have an Essential Phone and I just use the Mobile Hotspot feature for the tablet in my car to be able to use Waze/ Google Maps... Does anyone know what Cricket will do if I continue to use it?




    at most cricket "may" terminate your service.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes. Got similar text back in March. Mine was actually a final warning though I never recieved any "initial warnings". The text I received was to contact them immediately.

    I chose not to do anything and my service was suspended a day later. Got service restored immediately with offer to pay for hotspot (no qualifying phone though. Only select Cricket phones "qualify".) and promise to stop unauthorized hotspotting.

    At the time I was on the unlimited full speed plan, hotspotting like crazy. That is the plan they really watch out for, imo.

    Now on a group ul2 plan. Still hotspot a little, about 15 - 20 GB (unauthorized) hotspot a month, since April(just can't help it, lol).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    Would VPN prevent?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Would VPN prevent?
    Probably not if they are detecting hotspotting by the TTL of the packets. VPN does take care of the User Agent Strings detection.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,500
    Feedback Score
    0
    you may be able to get away with hotspotting if your phone was rooted and you edited the build prop file.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you may be able to get away with hotspotting if your phone was rooted and you edited the build prop file.
    Editing build.prop does not get around hotspotting detection by TTL or User Agent Strings.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    True, I can’t see them spending resources to go after a capped plan....unlimited full speed is a different beast...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    286
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Yes. Got similar text back in March. Mine was actually a final warning though I never recieved any "initial warnings". The text I received was to contact them immediately.

    I chose not to do anything and my service was suspended a day later. Got service restored immediately with offer to pay for hotspot (no qualifying phone though. Only select Cricket phones "qualify".) and promise to stop unauthorized hotspotting.

    At the time I was on the unlimited full speed plan, hotspotting like crazy. That is the plan they really watch out for, imo.

    Now on a group ul2 plan. Still hotspot a little, about 15 - 20 GB (unauthorized) hotspot a month, since April(just can't help it, lol).
    20GB is a little? What in the world are you doing that would require that? I barely go over a few GB max a month of data usage in general and that's when I travel and have limited access to WiFi.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    310
    Feedback Score
    0
    PDAnet+ will hotspot and mask the TTL and User agent in the android store.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Rumor has it that this message only goes out to some that are using Hotspot with unlimited plans. Which Cricket plan are you on???
    I'm on the 5GB 5 lines for $100 plan... It is not unlimited and therefore I can't even pay for mobile hotspot even if I wanted to because it is not available as an addon unless you have unlimited from what I can see. Additionally I only use approximately 1GB -2GB per month TOTAL including all usage with hotspot.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    20GB is a little? What in the world are you doing that would require that? I barely go over a few GB max a month of data usage in general and that's when I travel and have limited access to WiFi.
    +1 me too... I use very little data because I am always on wifi at home and work so only data usage is in the car or travel

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    PDAnet+ will hotspot and mask the TTL and User agent in the android store.
    can you explain further? I currently use "automate" recipe to turn on mobile hotspot whenever my phones connects to my car via bluetooth. Can I set up something else similar with pdanet+? Also what is user agent?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,056
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HSelznick View Post
    can you explain further? I currently use "automate" recipe to turn on mobile hotspot whenever my phones connects to my car via bluetooth. Can I set up something else similar with pdanet+? Also what is user agent?
    User Agent Strings are sent by programs that request data. E.g. a phone browser will send different identification from a desk browser program. It is pretty easy for the carrier/ISP to tell that the data request is not coming from a phone.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sending text messages to a T-Mobile phone
    By iWeasel410 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
  2. cricket text messaging from email?
    By flammaaeterna in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 11:11 AM
  3. get text messages about new messages??
    By Roach604 in forum Fido
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
  4. text message to german t-mobile nmbr
    By rgoldman in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 01:11 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2002, 05:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks