Thread: US Mobile data only option?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score

US Mobile data only option?

Was needing a cheap data only plan on the Tmo network that works with phones. I've heard that Tmo's own prepaid tablet plans won't work on phones (they block them), so was thinking about US Mobile (Tmo & VZ mvno) where you can build your own plan.

When you're building a plan, it looks like you can just not choose a talk & text option, then just select however much data you want. This would be great if it works but am unsure.

I did chat with a rep who said that was possible, but still (u know how reps are). Has anyone tried this?

Feedback Score
    Be careful because it says "not including taxes & fees".

Taxes & fees can add a lot to the bill especially if it is a small bill because the percentage can be large.

So for example, if you get the $2 plan the taxes and fees might be more than $2.

Also since they don't tell you what the taxes and fees are before buying the plan you have no way of knowing.

Feedback Score
    They've become sketchy lately. I'd avoid them.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Was needing a cheap data only plan on the Tmo network that works with phones. I've heard that Tmo's own prepaid tablet plans won't work on phones (they block them), so was thinking about US Mobile (Tmo & VZ mvno) where you can build your own plan.

When you're building a plan, it looks like you can just not choose a talk & text option, then just select however much data you want. This would be great if it works but am unsure.

I did chat with a rep who said that was possible, but still (u know how reps are). Has anyone tried this?
    Where did you hear that T-Mo data only SIMs won't work in phones? Is it possible what you heard was referring to T-Mo sold/branded phones?

I've used a T-Mo data only SIM in an unlocked AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix 2, and I've also tested a few other non-carrier-branded unlocked phones using that T-Mo data SIM with no trouble.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    They've become sketchy lately. I'd avoid them.
    Any more info than just "become sketchy"?

I've used them for years for some very low usage lines and have been happy with them.

What are they doing now, just so I can be aware in case I need to switch or find a new home for my lines?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    There was a recent complaint at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...intment-so-far . Based on that report, it seems that US Mobile has stopped disclosing their fees properly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Where did you hear that T-Mo data only SIMs won't work in phones? Is it possible what you heard was referring to T-Mo sold/branded phones?

I've used a T-Mo data only SIM in an unlocked AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix 2, and I've also tested a few other non-carrier-branded unlocked phones using that T-Mo data SIM with no trouble.
    Can't remember where exactly, but I researched it a few times & seems the issue always came up. I think here & on the official Tmo help forum. Seems data wouldn't work at all in a phone or work for a few mins then get cut off. Granted this could be with their branded phones & them blacklisting those IMEIs, who knows.

You're saying the $10 1GB prepaid plan should work with an unlocked phone? Is there taxes & fees on top of it?

There was a recent complaint at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...intment-so-far . Based on that report, it seems that US Mobile has stopped disclosing their fees properly.
    Some do this some don't. I'd prefer they did, but it isn't a huge deal. If the Tmo reg fee is $2, then my taxes for my location should be just a couple cents (based on other services I've had here). Not too bad. That OP did say this was his first mvno so he might not have been hip to how some of them operate. Plus eSim with VZ activation can always be tricky. I'll watch em tho for any shady crap.

I will say I've chatted w their reps twice & its gone really well. Their support is 24/7 (which is crazy) & the last rep even sent me a starter sim pack out for free that's already on its way.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The undisclosed part is the $2 Service feee that they charge to all plans. They don't mention it anywhere on their website until after you buy a sim, then go to pay for your plan during Activation. Its a base fee just for keeping your phone number alive.

In my case I signed up for a $10 plan. They added the $2 Service Fee, then $2.15 in taxes. Total $14.15
    On my 2nd go-round, I did a $4 plan. They added the $2 Service fee and $0.95 in taxes. Total $6.95

I'm also having a heck of a time getting Voicemail setup. I worked with their Chat person for an hour today. It was like they hadn't ever setup voicemail on an iphone before. In short, their initial setup for things can be a PITA. They will spend hour after hour with you, but it shouldn't take as long as it has.

Their rates are good, even with the service fee, and you can build custom plans, like they advertise.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccombs View Post
    The undisclosed part is the $2 Service feee that they charge to all plans. They don't mention it anywhere on their website until after you buy a sim, then go to pay for your plan during Activation. Its a base fee just for keeping your phone number alive.

In my case I signed up for a $10 plan. They added the $2 Service Fee, then $2.15 in taxes. Total $14.15
    On my 2nd go-round, I did a $4 plan. They added the $2 Service fee and $0.95 in taxes. Total $6.95

I'm also having a heck of a time getting Voicemail setup. I worked with their Chat person for an hour today. It was like they hadn't ever setup voicemail on an iphone before. In short, their initial setup for things can be a PITA. They will spend hour after hour with you, but it shouldn't take as long as it has.

Their rates are good, even with the service fee, and you can build custom plans, like they advertise.
    Hmm, $14.15 total on a $10 plan does seem kinda excessive. I was planning on the $10 1GB data only option & just using Google Voice for calls/texts, so that might blow any savings I was hoping for. Esp considering I'm on the Red Pocket $15 plan now (1GB, 1k voice 1k text) with little taxes/fees. What state are you in?

As for the positives, I do like the fact that I can "a la carte" all the services tho at any time. That's very attractive, and the fact that they openly welcome using data only while giving you a real number. I also read they'll provide you with an unlock code for any Android AT&T phone for $15 so you can use it on their GSM service, and they give away free SIM kits to students (anyone w an edu email), or just ask in my case.

I'll have to weigh everything once it gets here. But if I find the Tmo prepaid 2GB "tablet data" SIMs work in unlocked phones for $10 & very little fees, that might be a better deal for my purposes. This thread, along with others I've read, suggests it doesn't work. https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146591

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

There's a post in the Tmobile prepaid forum that says it work on phones also but I also see posts from users saying it doesn't and for sure Tmobile states those sims are only for data devices.

Did you originally activate the plan on a tablet or other data only device? Trying to figure out what the differentiator is for how it works for some when it shouldn't. Would be great to track down the specifics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Any more info than just "become sketchy"?

I've used them for years for some very low usage lines and have been happy with them.

What are they doing now, just so I can be aware in case I need to switch or find a new home for my lines?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yes, like they said, I was referring to the hidden fees.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    There's a post in the Tmobile prepaid forum that says it work on phones also but I also see posts from users saying it doesn't and for sure Tmobile states those sims are only for data devices.

Did you originally activate the plan on a tablet or other data only device? Trying to figure out what the differentiator is for how it works for some when it shouldn't. Would be great to track down the specifics.
    Same. Would be great to know if say an iPad is being used for initial activation then they're moving the SIM over to a phone.