Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

T-Mobile US Inc. is delaying the debut of its much-anticipated video service after the project proved more complex than expected, according to people familiar with the situation.

The move would push back the rollout until 2019, though plans could still change, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the situation is private. Chief Executive Officer John Legere had*promised*to deliver a “disruptive TV service” -- something that would upend the television industry -- and that high bar has made it harder to get the project done on time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...vice-this-year

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There's no need to rush. The most important thing is to do it right. And that likely means having Sprint's high band spectrum to distribute the video content.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not a surprise. First Layer 3 is cable only now and they are working on adding streaming. Also, bundling video with WISP will require 5G spectrum for the bandwidth. For good WISP they also need Sprint’s spectrum for 5G. Verizon’s Go90 video failed. T-Mobile with out WISP home internet service would be just another minor video service. Even YouTube TV isn’t taking market share from Comcast or Charter since most people still need the cable companies as a ISP to get YouTube TV for their home.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Is Scrapping Plan to Offer TV Service This Year

Maybe T-Mobile is trying to keep Comcast happy pre-merger:
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ource=internal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Doubtful. The initial reveal of the TV service fell so flat I wouldn't expect Comcast to be concerned at all.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    First Layer 3 is cable only now and they are working on adding streaming.
    They don't use coax for delivery. The Layer3TV offering is IPTV streaming based. Layer3TV does require a set top box, which you plug in via ethernet.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whfsdude View Post
    They don't use coax for delivery. The Layer3TV offering is IPTV streaming based. Layer3TV does require a set top box, which you plug in via ethernet.
    Well In this Video starting at the 2 Minute mark it says Layer 3 has underground cables but uses Comcast for the last mile. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgX71z...fauxfullscreen

Layer 3 does require a set top box and there are few areas of the country that supports Layer 3 so it takes more than just the internet for service. How I think it works is Layer 3 has underground cables into your neighborhood that then uses Comcast internet in to your home ( last mile). So you have to pay for both Layer 3 and Comcast internet service that has a one TB limit each month.

Until T-Mobile can provide WISP into your home and Layer 3 doesn’t need local underground cables in your area it would never become popular or economical for most customers.

Feedback Score
    I think if they tried selling this now, at the current price, it would have been a huge flop.
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...-it-looks-like
    "A T-Mobile salesperson in the store said that the service was available for $90 per month for customers who already subscribed to T-Mobile’s service, or $110 per month for customers who do not subscribe to T-Mobile’s service. "

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    The initial reveal of the TV service fell so flat
    There has been no "initial reveal". They have only been continuing to sell the Layer3 service that was already in place when they bought the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I think if they tried selling this now, at the current price, it would have been a huge flop.
    The current price is for a completely different service as shilohcane described. It doesn't have anything to do with the eventual video content service that T-Mobile will roll out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There has been no "initial reveal". They have only been continuing to sell the Layer3 service that was already in place when they bought the company.
    I was referring to when they first announced the pricing.

Feedback Score
    I was referring to when they first announced the pricing.
    I don't see where they made such an announcement. Some articles reported how much the Layer3 version is selling for. But there was no indication that the new offering which Legere claimed would "fix the pain points and bring real choice to consumers across the country,” would sell at the same price point.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On Reddit someone posted several Job Discriptions 8 months ago that T-Mobile was hiring computer programmers for that must included video streaming over internet experience. The whole reason SlingTV, YouTube TV, Sony, Pluto TV and many others TV streaming service aren’t taking business from the hated Cable companies is the streaming companies don’t have home internet build into the cost.

Until T- Mobile has a big 5G Network that will require some of Sprint’s spectrum to sell home WISP, Layer 3 is just going to be a minor Insignificant operation. The whole key for Layer 3 is a deep and robust 5G Network that WISP that can complete with the price of Cable companies ISP and video services. That will be 2020 and beyond.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't see where they made such an announcement. Some articles reported how much the Layer3 version is selling for. But there was no indication that the new offering which Legere claimed would "fix the pain points and bring real choice to consumers across the country,” would sell at the same price point.
    My mistake. I just reread an article from October that confirms they were just selling the service but it wasn't T-Mobile TV. That's where I was remembering the pricing from.

Feedback Score
    My mistake. I just reread an article from October that confirms they were just selling the service but it wasn't T-Mobile TV. That's where I was remembering the pricing from.
    No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Hopefully an offering of video content that doesn't need a separate internet connection will be at very favorable pricing for many customers.

Feedback Score
    No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Hopefully an offering of video content that doesn't need a separate internet connection will be at very favorable pricing for many customers.
    To deliver the “disruptive TV service” they announced it will also need to have a comprehensive channel lineup without a bunch of holes, and not just a bunch of junk channels that I never watch. To be complete it would need to have local TV for local news and weather.

Aside from the WISP aspect, getting the rights to stream all the good channels is a tough nut to crack. Getting the rights to local TV around the country isn't easy (or cheap) either.

I think some service will get there at some point. I don't expect it will quick or cheap.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast