Thread: Do the Prepaid data-only plans work with phones?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score

Do the Prepaid data-only plans work with phones?

Basically I don't need voice/text since I use Google Voice for everything. Will these plans work if just using a phone instead of a tablet device? https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet

I've heard different things, such as they'll work with non-branded or unlocked phones but not T-Mobile ones & they use some kind of internal check. Has anyone tried it? Wanna make sure so I don't waste time/money.

This forum posts suggests it won't work https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146591

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Although you may have found your answer it might be a good idea to ask the question in the T-Mobile prepaid forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Basically I don't need voice/text since I use Google Voice for everything. Will these plans work if just using a phone instead of a tablet device? https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet

I've heard different things, such as they'll work with non-branded or unlocked phones but not T-Mobile ones & they use some kind of internal check. Has anyone tried it? Wanna make sure so I don't waste time/money.

This forum posts suggests it won't work https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/146591
    I use 10 T-Mobile Mobile Internet plans (either 2GB or 6GB high-speed) with various phone devices, some T-Mobile branded and some not, using Google Voice for unlimited talk and text for my family. I am on postpaid instead of prepaid, however, I have never been blocked from using a device with a Mobile Internet plan.

I would say, with an extremely high level of confidence, you would be in the same boat on a prepaid Mobile Internet plan. I have had this setup for my family for quite some time and have had no major issues. Wish I discovered Google Voice/Hangouts sooner using this method as it saves our family a ton of money over anything else currently offered for similar services (global coverage, Music Freedom, etc).

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    I use 10 T-Mobile Mobile Internet plans (either 2GB or 6GB high-speed) with various phone devices, some T-Mobile branded and some not, using Google Voice for unlimited talk and text for my family. I am on postpaid instead of prepaid, however, I have never been blocked from using a device with a Mobile Internet plan.

I would say, with an extremely high level of confidence, you would be in the same boat on a prepaid Mobile Internet plan. I have had this setup for my family for quite some time and have had no major issues. Wish I discovered Google Voice/Hangouts sooner using this method as it saves our family a ton of money over anything else currently offered for similar services (global coverage, Music Freedom, etc).
    Thanks so much. I'll go ahead & order a SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post

How do you get a mobile internet plan on postpaid? I couldn't find the option on the web site.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpolska View Post
    How do you get a mobile internet plan on postpaid? I couldn't find the option on the web site.
    If you want a postpaid Mobile Internet plan, you will need to call T-Mobile Telesales (or go into a store) and ask to be placed on a Simple Choice North America Mobile Internet plan. They will tell you this plan is not compatible with phones but trust me, it works. To save yourself the incompatibility speal, say you have an unbranded tablet you want to activate and if they ask, give them an IMEI of a tablet, non T-Mobile branded device, or even a T-Mobile branded smartphone, if you want to see if they really check device IMEIs during activation (such as AT&T). After they activate your SIM, place it into any device and you will have a data connection.

The same steps can be followed for prepaid service as well.

If you have any issues, you can always PM me and I can help you troubleshoot any issues. But if you follow these steps, you should be golden. Good luck.