Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Samsung J7 Crown. How to restore certain apps with data from previous phone

Feedback Score

Tracfone Samsung J7 Crown. How to restore certain apps with data from previous phone

During the setup process my J7 offered to use Google's backup of my Tracfone LG70L phone to transfer some things to my new Tracfone Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown. I passed at the time.

Now I want to go back to do the restore of certain apps because it should bring along the data history for that app which is a game and I want to keep the score record from the old phone.

How do I get back to the Google backup of the Lg70L? I can't find a way to do that on the new Samsung phone? I have not activated the phone number and transferred service from old phone--strictly set it up for WiFi at home.
    Last edited by kw02; 12-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On my LG Q6 with Nougat, in Settings-->Backup & Reset, there's an option for Auto Restore (restoring data from backup when installing an app). Couldn't find that option on my Moto E5 with Oreo.

More info here https://www.androidcentral.com/how-r...-android-phone and at other sites.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is some apps that will not backup and restore. I run into a few apps that you have do it with another app.

Feedback Score
    you may have to re download certain apps as there could be
    a compatibility issue when trying to transfer from old phone
    to new phone.

Feedback Score
    How well Google backup/restore works is dependent on what version of Android the old phone and new phone are running. If both are not running Nougat or higher, you won't be able to backup/restore app data. And, even if they do, it is kinda hit and miss. Prior to Nougat, Google backup/restore was only marginally useful. PlayStore will show you your Library of any apps you have installed from your account but that won't help with app data. As @hpham noted, some versions of Android don't show the data restore option. As you are not very far along in your setup, you could do a "Factory Reset" and go thru the setup again. It should ask the question again.

There are some transfer wizard apps that might help but I have never used one so have no recommendations.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kw02 View Post
    During the setup process my J7 offered to use Google's backup of my Tracfone LG70L phone to transfer some things to my new Tracfone Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown.
    Are you sure of the model of the old phone? I can find no record of a TracFone LG70L.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Are you sure of the model of the old phone? I can find no record of a TracFone LG70L.
    Yea, I was trying to figure it out too, but the closest that I could find is LG Optimus L70 from MetroPCS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Yea, I was trying to figure it out too, but the closest that I could find is LG Optimus L70 from MetroPCS
    All Android phones have a model name or number in Settings > About Phone. It helps to know what the phone's capabilities are.

Feedback Score

Phone name is LG L41C

All Android phones have a model name or number in Settings > About Phone. It helps to know what the phone's capabilities are.
    It's an LG l41C
    It's running OS 4.4 with Tracfone's version.

New phone is Samsung galaxy J7 Crown which is supposed to be running OS 8.0.

The app I'm after is Patience Revisted a card game from the Google Playstore. My wife has a huge score of games she's played of Klondike and wants to transfer that to the new phone. Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown Tracfone.

The patience revisted gave is supposed to save the whole game and record to the SD external card. Then the card can be transferred to the new phone and the game loaded from there to the Patience Revisted app on the new phone.

However that doesn't work. I found the PR app saved the game to the internal memory on the LGL41C. Transferring it to the externad SD card does not make it readable on the new Samsung J7 Crown.

I cannot find on the Crown where the downloaded app on it saves the game for transfer either. It doesn't seem to be on the external card and I ca't find anything on the internal memory.

There must be a problem with the PR app's save technique. The transfer game saved data is named "state."

Sooooo, I want to try going back and seeing if Google will transfer that data from the app on the LG L41C to the newer Samsung phone when it offers to transfer apps and lets each one be selected. I passed it up on initial startup and I can't see to get the Crown to she me the old phone info to be able to restore it, or part of it, to the new phone for that one app (and pictures and whatever else it will transfer).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kw02 View Post
    Sooooo, I want to try going back and seeing if Google will transfer that data from the app on the LG L41C to the newer Samsung phone when it offers to transfer apps and lets each one be selected. I passed it up on initial startup and I can't see to get the Crown to she me the old phone info to be able to restore it, or part of it, to the new phone for that one app (and pictures and whatever else it will transfer).
    On the J7 Crown, go into Settings-->Accounts and delete your Google account (I don't think that will affect the apps you already installed). Then use the Add Account function on the same page to re-add your Google account, that should trigger Google to go through the initial set-up process.

Feedback Score
    I tried that. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to the google backup for restoring. The Samsung backup and restore seems to have taken over, even though I've not signed up for that account on that phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    The only way I've found is to do a full reset and start from scratch.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As for Patience Revisited I tested on my Android 7.1 device and the game state was saved to the root of the internal SD card (bot the external one) as patience_revisited.state

I moved the file and the app couldn't find it. I moved it back and it was found.

I see no options to select external storage.

So you need a file manager (or a computer and USB cable) to move to correct location.

Maybe try renaming it (I suspect you got the wrong file)
    also, I doubt Google backup/restore will include that data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    How well Google backup/restore works is dependent on what version of Android the old phone and new phone are running. If both are not running Nougat or higher, you won't be able to backup/restore app data. And, even if they do, it is kinda hit and miss. Prior to Nougat, Google backup/restore was only marginally useful.
    Checked my Galaxy Core Prime with KitKat and it does have the Backup/Restore function, as the LG U2 seems to. However, these have to be toggled on, and may not be by default. These older phones also had a global Sync setting that may have to be toggled on. Obvious that the app data has to be on the Google server to retrieve it.

Don't recall being asked if I wanted to restore data for an app when setting up the Google account on a new phone. Would think you have to have the app installed to do that. I set up the Google account before installing any apps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Don't recall being asked if I wanted to restore data for an app when setting up the Google account on a new phone.
    If you have backup enabled on the old device, when you setup a new device after entering Google account info you get offered a chance to restore apps/data.

If backup wasn't enabled on a prior device I don't think it offered to restore anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast