Thread: 3G down/moved?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

3G down/moved?

I have a NEXUS 6 on FM in BC and have been unable to receive or make voice calls for several days.

Since FM does not provide VoLTE for my handset, voice calls are normally handled by dropping down to a 3G carrier to complete the voice call on a UMTS voice RAB and then returning to idle on 4G after completing the voice call. But currently, this is not happening.

Next, I tried forcing my handset to 3G and it does not see any service at all when doing so.

My phone does not see the usual 3G FM carrier at Band 4. My handset can see 3G carriers of other networks in the area but not FM. Could it be that FM has moved their 3G carrier to Band 66 (which my handset does not support) or have shut down their 3G carriers altogether in BC?

I spent over an hour with FM L2 tech support on Friday night who eventually concluded, after inquires up the chain while I'm on hold, that this is a known issue and they are working to resolve it. They were unable to explain whether they still have a 3G carrier or have migrated them to a different frequency band.

Does anyone have any further information (beyond the usual wild guesses)?
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Device(s)
    Blackberry KEYone, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don't have any answers but FM customer, also in the Lower Mainland area.

My data has been spotty the past few days as well. I won't realize it till I actually need to look something up online/Google Maps. It's been okay since last night after I rebooted my iPhone 6S Plus. Not sure if the holiday deals is once again overwhelming their network.
    Freedom Mobile Promo Everywhere 50
    8gb LTE data/Canada & US Calling &Roaming/Global SMS/Call Display/Voicemail

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Data isn't a problem.
    I have excellent 4G coverage and data throughput on bands 7 and 13. I no longer receive any signal on Band 4. This also leads me to believe that they might have moved the carriers over to the non-Band4 portions of Band 66.

Another interestng part of this problem is that I drove into the US yesterday and while roaming on AT&T, voice calls work just fine. There are no voice call problems when roaming.
    Last edited by enufwireless; 12-25-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not too sure what the issue is but have you tried VoWiFi in the interim?

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They have not discontinued 3G in any market as of yet.
    They have carved it down to minimum and refarmed the remainder as 4G/LTE, but there should still be a 5MHz slice of AWS 3G in all regions they serve.
    I'd go to a corporate store and have them troubleshoot. This will likely include steps such as replacing the SIM card.

3G will remain until the majority of devices are capable of connecting to VoLTE. Considering they just launched VoLTE a few months ago and are still working out the bugs, that's a few years away. I would guess late 2020 at the earliest.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I upgraded my SIM to a Profile 6 card on Friday. I was still using my original Wind SIM from 2013. The new SIM did not resolve the problem.

It seems like they have pushed their 3G carriers here from Band 4 to Band 66. I need to find a B66 capable handset to be sure.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Not too sure what the issue is but have you tried VoWiFi in the interim?
    Would VoWIFI work on an unbranded Nexus 6 handset?

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ya one of the recent plans is used 3 g speeds so they haven't discontinued it
    Freedom LTE + 3GB Promo

*9.5GB*

for

$*43/mo.†

with*Digital Discount◆

Regular price: $48

Bring Your Own Phone:*Save $5/mo. for 12 months∇*when you activate a new line. In-store only. Offer ends soon.

Limited time offer

3GB fast LTE + 6.5GB 3G speed data with no data overage fees!

Unlimited Canada-wide talk

Unlimited global text

Home Network

Data: 3GB fast LTE + 6.5GB 3G speed data

Talk: Unlimited Canada-wide talk

Text: Unlimited global text, picture and video messaging

Sent from my SM-G950W using HoFo mobile app
    Promo 50 = Unlimited Talk (US n Canada), Worldwide Txt, MMS and Data Home network (8 gig throttle)
    Roaming 2400 mins, Unlimited Global Txt, 1 Gig Data than Throttled but hasn't happened yet Used 5 gigs full speed in Florida

Rate= $50 - F&F 35% off (life until I cancel Line) plus BTS = $27.50 a month

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by enufwireless View Post
    I upgraded my SIM to a Profile 6 card on Friday. I was still using my original Wind SIM from 2013. The new SIM did not resolve the problem.

It seems like they have pushed their 3G carriers here from Band 4 to Band 66. I need to find a B66 capable handset to be sure.
    There is no AWS3 band for 3G - something else is going on with your device, tower, or both. There have been no new 3G bands in a long while - it's a legacy/stale standard. And AWS3 is quite new in the grand scheme of things.
    At the end of the day, changing your device would likely solve things, but there has been no change to 3G service frequencies since launch in late 2009.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by enufwireless View Post
    Would VoWIFI work on an unbranded Nexus 6 handset?
    I don't know, try setting it up, that's the sure way of finding out

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, I guess I should 'fess up.
    Problem solved.
    I need to describe what happened so that someone with a similar problem does not go down this rabbit hole, reading the thread for the wrong solution to their problem.

It turns out the problem was with my phone.
    I went in to the maintenance screen (*#*#4636#*#*) and selected the dreaded "Select Frequency Band' option.
    This has the effect of locking out all 3G frequency bands except the one I selected (850MHz).
    It explains why I was able to roam on AT&T in the US and get some voice calls in and out (only on 850MHz).

The only way to de-select this was to do a full back up of the phone and reflash it with the same factory firmware (N6F27M).

This solved the problem.
    3G and voice service on all frequency bands is back to normal operation.