Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoOnion View Post
    You also misquoted someone else while claiming it was for me. What does tmobile PROPER mean to you? Essentials? Prepaid? If it was prepaid I would have mentioned that, if it was essentials that would also be mentioned. Guess your qualifications didnt account for that.

However my comment stands. If people wanna save $40 go for it but you potentially give up quite a bit of speeds to those on tmobile proper.

Im glad I went back

Otoh, after a certain point, more speed is irrelevant, except maybe for large files. I really wish it did, but in my non scientific tests, it just doesn't make a significant difference, where as getting a good signal makes a lot of difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_mandingo View Post
    Depends what tmobile plan. Metro is prioritized this way, its prioritized below the tmobile one plans, but above the essentials plans. 2 different speed tests on 2 different devices though isnt a great indication of where something is prioritized. One device can be holding onto a band 4 signal while the other switched over to band 12. Only way to get an accurate reading that way is to make sure both devices are connected to the same tower and the same channel on that tower.
    You got a good point here. Can you elaborate on the speed difference in band 4 vs 12 vs 2?, ie, should one expect greater dl speed with the higher fx bands or not. I realize lower fx has better building penetration, etc.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    By itself, frequency has little affect on speed. Speed is determined primarily by how much bandwidth the carrier has available, how heavily loaded that bandwidth is and how strong the signal is at the handset. In most markets, T-Mobile has 20 to 30 Mhz of band 4 and /or band 2 bandwidth and 10 Mhz of band 12. So, if signal strength and and load are equal, band 2 and 4 speeds will be significantly higher than band 12 speeds
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    You got a good point here. Can you elaborate on the speed difference in band 4 vs 12 vs 2?, ie, should one expect greater dl speed with the higher fx bands or not. I realize lower fx has better building penetration, etc.
    Yeswap answered it correctly in the post above. Frequency isnt really important in speed, but the size of the channel is. Band 2 and 4 are larger channels on tmobile. Most places tmobile has band 12 deployed in 5x5 blocks. Another factor between the 2 is density, the further a signal travels the slower the weaker the signal gets, which reduces the speed. They aren't putting band 12 on every tower, no need to with the travel properties of it. So hypothetically say TMobile has an area that serves x of there customers over x square miles, they have 2 towers up in that area, one on the north side one on the south, both towers have 15x15 of band 4 and 10x10 of band 2, but they only put 5x5 band 12 on 1 of those towers due to the fact that they don't need it on both, as it will cover the entire area from 1. Well the load on band 2 and 4 are shared between 2 sites for the entire area, but the load for band 12 is only shared by 1, so it can congest the channel pretty quickly.
    Last edited by mick_mandingo; 12-27-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Otoh, after a certain point, more speed is irrelevant, except maybe for large files. I really wish it did, but in my non scientific tests, it just doesn't make a significant difference, where as getting a good signal makes a lot of difference.
    I'd say going from .5mbps to 12 or so has been a huge difference. Data was usable yesterday when we watched Aquaman at an area where MetroPCS would be unusable. Maybe 5mbps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeswap answered it correctly in the post above. Frequency isnt really important in speed, but the size of the channel is. Band 2 and 4 are larger channels on tmobile. Most places tmobile has band 12 deployed in 5x5 blocks. Another factor between the 2 is density, the further a signal travels the slower the weaker the signal gets, which reduces the speed. They aren't putting band 12 on every tower, no need to with the travel properties of it. So hypothetically say TMobile has an area that serves x of there customers over x square miles, they have 2 towers up in that area, one on the north side one on the south, both towers have 15x15 of band 4 and 10x10 of band 2, but they only put 5x5 band 12 on 1 of those towers due to the fact that they don't need it on both, as it will cover the entire area from 1. Well the load on band 2 and 4 are shared between 2 sites for the entire area, but the load for band 12 is only shared by 1, so it can congest the channel pretty quickly.
    Thanks for the two replies which exactly reflect my observations. In my non metro area, I've noticed I only receive b12 at my home,which provides about a 10K/b dl rate which as i mention above is quite adequate, but when i notice poor signal, the handset has switched to b2. Along my lengthy work route, i only observe b2, which with good signal is significantly faster when i have coverage,but it appears more spotty.

Expains a lot!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not fully correct. Crickets 60 plan has no speed cap.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    My 48.00 unlimited... no limit on gb used on att prepaid has no speed cap... [email protected] [email protected] cricket fees....

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimm222 View Post
    My 48.00 unlimited... no limit on gb used on att prepaid has no speed cap... [email protected] [email protected] cricket fees....

Yea at&t has no caps on their prepaid plans either,

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimm222 View Post

The lack of full feature support on att and it's mvnos is a deal killer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajet7 View Post
    The lack of full feature support on att and it's mvnos is a deal killer.

Yeah,but having more reliable nationwide coverage is sort of helpful,however.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah,but having more reliable nationwide coverage is sort of helpful,however.
    If ya need it of course!

Device(s)
    Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

This is on Mint Mobile in NE Minneapolis
    Spongebob: Squidward just told me a hilarious joke and I thought you might like to hear it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    Cricket Wireless referral

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4