Thread: can't export photos to computer

Feedback Score

can't export photos to computer

I can't export photos to my computer. My LGL64VL is full. I can see all my pictures in the gallery but my computer says there are no new pictures. The driver is fine and the computer recognizes my phone and says it's full. The computer indicates the phone has internal storage in generic hierarchical. I know I can share photos and email them to myself but I have 850 photos to get out. The only 2 phone files available show zero items. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    can you save them to an SD card and transfer them that way

Feedback Score
    Are you looking in the DCIM folder?
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    Yes, I find only two folders - DCIM and pictures. They both have zero items.

Feedback Score
    I don't have a way to do that. I have since transferred pictures to Google Drive. So that will work. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doxviper View Post
    I don't have a way to do that. I have since transferred pictures to Google Drive. So that will work. Thanks
    You don't have a way to do what?

Feedback Score
    I should have said I don't know how to do that. I have SD cards and flash drives but I don't know how to get stuff out of my phone into them.

Feedback Score
    I should have said I don't know how to do that. I have SD cards and flash drives but I don't know how to get stuff out of my phone into them.
    I don't know your knowledge level. So I'll just ask the basics.

Do you have the original LG USB cable that came with the phone?

If yes. Have you plugged it into your phone & then into a (Windows 7 or 10) PC?

If yes. Does your PC recognize your phone? I mean a new folder appears in the Windows file system.

Feedback Score
    There are a lot of questions and answers needed to understand what you have and what you are doing that doesn't work.

Let us know if you want to learn how to do this.

As you said, you got it done by sending them to Google Drive. That's not a bad way to go. I know how to do all of this stuff and I generally just use Google Drive myself.

Do a clear cache on your phone and you will probably free up a bunch of storage space. I do it once a month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't know your knowledge level. So I'll just ask the basics.

Do you have the original LG USB cable that came with the phone?

If yes. Have you plugged it into your phone & then into a (Windows 7 or 10) PC?

If yes. Does your PC recognize your phone? I mean a new folder appears in the Windows file system.
    I have minimal knowledge. I plug my original cable from phone to my Windows Vista and 7 PCs and they both recognize my phone with a new folder showing a LGL64VL full bar. That breaks down to a DCIM and Pictures files with Zero items.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There are a lot of questions and answers needed to understand what you have and what you are doing that doesn't work.

Let us know if you want to learn how to do this.

As you said, you got it done by sending them to Google Drive. That's not a bad way to go. I know how to do all of this stuff and I generally just use Google Drive myself.

Do a clear cache on your phone and you will probably free up a bunch of storage space. I do it once a month.
    Is there a way to send pictures directly to Google Drive without having to transfer photos from the gallery to Google Drive each time? Also, how do I clear cache? T

Feedback Score
    I have minimal knowledge. I plug my original cable from phone to my Windows Vista and 7 PCs and they both recognize my phone with a new folder showing a LGL64VL full bar. That breaks down to a DCIM and Pictures files with Zero items.
    Ok, this should be easy. I had not done it in a while and had forgotten the steps.

Connect the phone to your computer as you have. What you saw was correct for the first time you do this.

Wait for any Device Driver Loading messaged to finish.

Look at your phone and pull down the notification panel. Swipe down from the very top of the phone screen.

On the notification panel, you should see something like:
    Charging
    Tap to change USB options

Tap that message. A screen will display with USB options.

Touch the one that says: Media Sync (MTP), then select Just Once or Always.

The computer will probably show another message about Device Driver Loading. Wait for that to finish.

Your phone internal storage files should now be visible on the computer in File Explorer in <PhoneName>/DCIM/Camera

Copy or move as you wish. It is best not to mess with other files unless you really know what you are doing.

You can use the same method to manage music files on the phone.

All of this is because the default setting for plugging a phone into a computer with USB is to charge only.

Feedback Score
    Is there a way to send pictures directly to Google Drive without having to transfer photos from the gallery to Google Drive each time?
    No way that I know of. The Google Photos app has some capability to sync photos. I don't use it and don't know much about it, other than, be really sure that the app is set to use Wifi-only if you don't want it to use large amounts of mobile data.

Also, how do I clear cache? T
    Find Storage in Settings and touch it.

Wait for it to complete calculating.

Find Cached data in the list. It will show how much storage is being used for cached data.

Touch Cached data.

A message will pop up about Clear Cache. Touch Ok. The amount of storage displayed will be freed.

There is nothing in cached data to worry about deleting. It is just info that the system uses to make apps that have been used run faster. The phone will build the cache again as apps are used. I have never noticed any app performance slowing after clearing the cache.

My cache storage anecdote: A few years ago SWMBO was five states away at a college graduation. She called in a panic that she couldn't take any pictures. Her phone storage was full. That was the day I learned about clearing cache. Doing it in a panic situation without the phone in my hand was not fun.

I now do this once a month when I update the apps I use. When I connected my phone to prepare this message, the cache was using 500 MB of storage - half a gigabyte. That is room for a lot of pictures.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 12-29-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting, added comment

Feedback Score
    This seems to be a common problem. I don't know why phones are so difficult for uploads via a USB connection.

Feedback Score
    This is a problem I ran into also. My dad had his phone and tried uploading and couldn't do it by plugging the phone into the computer. I wish the phone manufacturers would make things easy.