Thread: How to have three GV numbers/accounts linked to a cell phone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to have three GV numbers/accounts linked to a cell phone?

I'm trying to set up the following:
    Personal GV linked to my cell phone (will be used for making international calls)
    2nd GV linked to my cell phone & wife's cell phone (this is where we will park our old home number, we do not need to call out from this number, we just need calls to forward to us from it)
    3rd GV linked to my cell phone & wife's cell phone (this will be a number we give people temporarily, such as in Craigslist ads and so forth)

It seems there is a maximum of two GV numbers that can be linked to a single cell phone.

First question - is the limit (2) correct, or am I doing something wrong? Linking the 3rd GV bumps the target cell phone off one of the other two GV numbers, even though the cell phone is configured (in Legacy GV) as Type=Home, rather than Type=Mobile).

Second question - does the limit apply to *numbers* or *accounts*? In other words, if I pay Google an extra $20 (on top of the $10 port fee) to keep the existing 2nd GV number when I port my old home number to the same account, do both of those numbers (in the same GV account) count as one or two when linking to my cell?

Keeping two numbers on a GV account is covered here:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...U/3daGRVv4JxoJ

P.S. the old home number is already ported to AT&T, so porting it to GV should not be an issue (and is not my question here).

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    https://productforums.google.com/for...k/kzSjjFn5AQAJ seems to indicate that only two GV #s can be linked to any one cell phone #, and that can only be done by marking one as a "Home" phone, therefore, disabling texting on that #. Also see:
    https://productforums.google.com/for...4/amqvZ4RqBAAJ
    http://brothatech.com/how-to-two-goo...ne-smartphone/

I have two GV #s to place/receive calls and for SMS/MMS on all my devices using Hangouts over data. I have used two GV #s via Hangouts as my only voice and SMS/MMS service on my devices since March, 2017. I don't see any reason why I couldn't add a third or more GV #s to Hangouts.

Hangouts might be something for you to consider for your situation. I personally find voice quality to be fine using Hangouts over data only, but it's probably YMMV depending on how well your devices work with Hangouts and/or how well your WiFi and/or cellular data works..

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links Boz1. It looks like my plan (using two GV numbers on a single GV account, plus a third GV number on a second GV account, all linking to one cell) is NOT going to work and even if I got it working I would be playing with fire hoping that it would continue to work.

I might try Hangouts as you suggest, although given the way they keep changing its features (and I have lost track of its current feature set), I'm not convinced I want to closely tie my "system" (such as it is) so that it relies heavily on Hangouts.

Edited later to add the "NOT" in the first paragraph above. I hadn't had my coffee when I typed the original
    Last edited by sar840t2; 12-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post
    ...3rd GV linked to my cell phone & wife's cell phone (this will be a number we give people temporarily, such as in Craigslist ads and so forth)...
    If the multiple GV numbers/accounts don't work, I use Pinger/Textfree for this sort of thing. It's an OTT VOIP app and service so it only works on data. Unless I am actually waiting for a call, I just leave it set to go directly to voicemail. You do have to use the phone number occasionally to keep the number. The app can be on more than one phone and they all get the calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If the multiple GV numbers/accounts don't work, I use Pinger/Textfree for this sort of thing. It's an OTT VOIP app and service so it only works on data. Unless I am actually waiting for a call, I just leave it set to go directly to voicemail. You do have to use the phone number occasionally to keep the number. The app can be on more than one phone and they all get the calls.
    Why would someone choose Pinger/Textfree over GV/Hangouts? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If one runs into a limit on how many GV accts on a phone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So you don't have to give your main GV number to everyone. Craigslist ad, for instance. It's convenient to have a number that goes straight to voicemail. There are some people I'd rather just listen to their message than actually talk to.

I use both Textfree and Talkatone. I had my RingTo number ported to Talkatone so I could keep it active and free.

Feedback Score
    Boz will probably be suicidal when Hangouts sunsets

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everybody for the input.

Mike

Feedback Score
    If one runs into a limit on how many GV accts on a phone.

But there is no limit using Hangouts. is there? And it uses VoIP just like Pinger/Textfree, doesn't it. I'm not saying I'm right, just asking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Boz will probably be suicidal when Hangouts sunsets

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    I won't be happy, but I'll adapt, just like always.

Feedback Score
    But there is no limit using Hangouts. is there? And it uses VoIP just like Pinger/Textfree, doesn't it. I'm not saying I'm right, just asking.
    How many Hangouts numbers/accounts can you have on one phone? OP was looking for 3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    So you don't have to give your main GV number to everyone. Craigslist ad, for instance. It's convenient to have a number that goes straight to voicemail. There are some people I'd rather just listen to their message than actually talk to.

I use both Textfree and Talkatone. I had my RingTo number ported to Talkatone so I could keep it active and free.
    But that's the purpose for the OP's three GV #s. I'm just asking why one VoIP service would be better than another, especially since there is a greater chance of losing a phone # if it's not used regularly with Pinger/Textfree than with GV/Hangouts.

In your case, if I remember correctly, the option to port your RingTo # to GV wasn't available, but Talkatone made that option available.

Feedback Score
    How many Hangouts numbers/accounts can you have on one phone? OP was looking for 3.
    As I indicated above, I'm not 100% sure. But on my Android Hangouts app, on all my devices, I have two GV #s set to ring in, and I can call out on either #, as well as SMS/MMS on either #, and the option to add more accounts/#s is available.

I also use TextNow so I can also have a Canadian phone #, and with TextNow, only ONE phone # is available in the app, as far as I can tell.

Can ANY of the other VoIP calling apps mentioned above, besides Hangouts, have more than one phone # able ring in or able to call out, in addition to SMS/MMS?