Thread: robbers 2G?

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking robbers 2G?

My ex wants to buy this 2G watch for her kid (1900 850) as far as I know only Rogers has
    2G in canada. If I get a CHATR line for 35 bucks 1GB will this work?
    does Petro Can or 711 have any cheaper plan than $35?

the ex wants to buy one watch per kid so I better try one first and see if it works well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaunt911 View Post
    My ex wants to buy this 2G watch for her kid (1900 850) as far as I know only Rogers has
    2G in canada. If I get a CHATR line for 35 bucks 1GB will this work?
    does Petro Can or 711 have any cheaper plan than $35?

the ex wants to buy one watch per kid so I better try one first and see if it works well.

A phone with 850/1900MHz 2g will work on Chatr, but the question is why? Unless the cell/watchphone is free, I can't imagine why anyone in Canada would spend any money on a 2g device. In addition, the Rogers 2g network is scheduled to be shutdown next year. The watch's software will likely need APN settings correctly inputted, assuming the watch even allows those settings to be changed. The data speeds will also be very slow, although I'm not so sure how much someone's going to be using data on such a small screen.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    711 has the cheapest sustainable rate to keep an account alive at $25/year, but if there is going to be some very modest data plan on there, at 100 MB/month, either 711 or PetroCan for $100/year will do the job.

That said, I've seen a lot of cheap 2G devices advertised over the years, including watchphones. I never bought one because the few reviews that I could find for North American users was that they just weren't very good at the advertised functions. Some didn't even have both main NA bands -- just 1900. The reason is that they are really aimed at the Asian market and not field tested here, while being advertised by people who can't be held accountable for fake specs.

I have a 2G miniature phone that probably has the same guts as a smartwatch. It's a fine novelty at parties, but not suitable for use as a primary device for anything other than occasional use in areas with strong network coverage.

I love my smartwatch as well, but it's not a phone, and I recommend waiting to get a watchphone that's made for at least 3G in your area.