Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: CDMA SHUT DOWN - what will prepaid do?

Device(s)
    Doogee S90, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,T-Mo,Sprint,KoKo,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by luckystreich View Post
    I can't speak for all Verizon stores everywhere, but at least in my neck of the woods, some corp. store employees were not properly informing their customers of the CDMA shutdown. I worked with 2 people today in their 70's. They recently asked about their iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s, which appeared to be in good shape physically and functionally. They were told they could keep using them until the wheels fell off, with no mention of the shutdown. Maybe I'm naive but I'm just a little surprised by the lack of information campaign.
    My elderly parents have Page plus/Verizon 3g phones for emergency phones. They had no idea of what is happening with Verizon 3g at the end of the year so I informed them .
    I switched my mother over to an unlocked Alcatel go flip over the weekend with a Piranha roaming sim on AT&T at a dime a minute and added some money to the sim card. Will use up the airtime on her LG flip (rolled over to $200 over 7 years) before tossing so Carlos doesn't take it as pure profit (I have unlimited Mint but will use it until it runs out).
    Already have my father on another Piranha card on an unlocked ZTE flip phone. His Motorola flip phone on Page plus will either fall apart or stop working by year's end...not much left on that account.
    Piranha made the most sense because just need a monthly test call and charge but don't have to add money constantly.
    Considered Page plus esn change and H2O but didn't want them to waste money on phones that will be barely used.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    My elderly parents have Page plus/Verizon 3g phones for emergency phones. They had no idea of what is happening with Verizon 3g at the end of the year so I informed them .
    I helped my friends switch over to Xfinity mobile (VZW network) and get iPhone 8s. They really objected to no home button. Seems like the $12 by the gig plan (which both can share) would be perfect for them. One uses about .06 GB of data per month. That's how they are dealing with the end of CDMA. Also helped someone on Greatcall / Jitterbug yesterday -- which uses Verizon. Fortunately, for customers who just want a flip phone -- they now have one that supports LTE calling on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have $100 on a PP account (bought with $80 cards).

Am I in a use-it-or-lose-it situation? I haven't heard anything from PP

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ballo View Post
    I have $100 on a PP account (bought with $80 cards).

Am I in a use-it-or-lose-it situation? I haven't heard anything from PP
    When you get a new compatible phone just go into their chat (best way to do it) and tell them you want to activate and transfer your service to the new phone. Your balance and phone# will go to your new phone. They have PayGo for 4G also so your balance will work all the same.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question What'll happen to prepaid LTE users?

I think the big question is what is going to happen with the BYOD prepaid options (Total Wireless, RedPocket, StraightTalk, etc.) that still don't have VoLTE enabled. I still haven't seen any sign of it on my compatible device with RedPocket and haven't received any kind of notification from them saying that I need a different sim card or anything like that. Does it just switch over to data-only at the end of the year when (if) they actually pull the plug?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. There are notable fringe areas where I can't hold a call without at least CDMA or VOIP, and any retirement of CDMA would have me seriously reconsidering VZW. I'm just curious as to what will happen because it seems like there should have been some kind of notification to the customers by this point if they actually do plan on going through with the shutdown.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill720 View Post
    I think the big question is what is going to happen with the BYOD prepaid options (Total Wireless, RedPocket, StraightTalk, etc.) that still don't have VoLTE enabled?
    You are miss-informed. Total Wireless has VoLTE for at least a year now. You just need the right phone, approved by Verizon.
    Worked on my iPhone 6, 7, and Samsung S7, S8, S9, S10 (unlocked and Verizon branded). Devices were in my family upgraded, that's why I know...
    Also, it didn't work on MotoX Pure or on Moto G4 Plus.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    it seems like there should have been some kind of notification to the customers by this point if they actually do plan on going through with the shutdown.
    I’m starting to suspect that CDMA will continue for existing customers well into the early 2020s....but on much smaller channels and if a 1x site goes down it will never come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I’m starting to suspect that CDMA will continue for existing customers well into the early 2020s....but on much smaller channels and if a 1x site goes down it will never come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They've already been shutting down 1X sites that have gone down and have done that for a couple years now. Anyone that is counting on 1X being around on Jan 1 2020 is being naive

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Anyone that is counting on 1X being around on Jan 1 2020 is being naive
    That is a nice way to put it. I can think of another adjective that would be appropriate.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Jack is scared of being moderated

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Jack is scared of being moderated
    I was going to say obtuse but I assume the people I was talking about wouldn't understand what I was saying.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post On LTE, CDMA, and prepaids

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    You are miss-informed. Total Wireless has VoLTE for at least a year now. You just need the right phone, approved by Verizon.
    Worked on my iPhone 6, 7, and Samsung S7, S8, S9, S10 (unlocked and Verizon branded). Devices were in my family upgraded, that's why I know...
    Also, it didn't work on MotoX Pure or on Moto G4 Plus.
    I know that they've unofficially had it on a handful of devices for a while. But we're now a lot closer to the rumored shutdown, so I'd have expected these prepaids to be a whole lot more serious about it by now than just a slow-rolling test for a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I tend to agree with that to some degree. The way I see it, (whatever that's worth) they're on trajectory to overshoot this thing. Apart from the fact that the technology intended to replace it just isn't mature and widespread enough yet, we're almost at the 6-month mark and very few of anybody (except for those on Verizon proper) have received any kind of a warning or notification.

If this comes to pass, then that means that you could walk into WalMart and buy StraightTalk or Total Wireless service today that is completely useless in a few months. I'm not saying that it won't happen, it just seems like they're really not taking this deadline seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They've already been shutting down 1X sites that have gone down and have done that for a couple years now. Anyone that is counting on 1X being around on Jan 1 2020 is being naive
    I don't think that either of us disagree with this. In dense areas where CDMA is totally redundant and the spectrum is valuable, I don't think that anybody is missing anything (except for those without LTE-compliant devices). On the other hand, I do hope that they'll take it easy in the areas where the LTE signal is just too weak to be usable and CDMA is the only thing that penetrates.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't think that either of us disagree with this. In dense areas where CDMA is totally redundant and the spectrum is valuable, I don't think that anybody is missing anything (except for those without LTE-compliant devices). On the other hand, I do hope that they'll take it easy in the areas where the LTE signal is just too weak to be usable and CDMA is the only thing that penetrates.
    That 10X10 MHz of 850 spectrum is better put to use for LTE than keeping CDMA going. If band 2 and 4 are going to be useless in those areas just band 13 isn't going to be enough. Converting 850 to LTE would double the capacity

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just called my carrier that I have a contract with.

I was told that my 3G phone will continue to work after the end of the year.

But, new accounts will not be opened with a 3G phone.

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by Gulfcoast; 05-21-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
    I just called my carrier that I have a contract with.

I was told that my 3G phone will continue to work after the end of the year.

But, new accounts will not be opened with a 3G phone.

Stay tuned....
    3G only activations haven't been allowed for along time already. Keep believing the impossible dram. Enjoy no signal on Jan 1st. Hope you don't need to contact anyone.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast