Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: CDMA SHUT DOWN - what will prepaid do?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Well as far as MVNO's go Straight Talk is now proactively notifying customers they will need to purchase a new phone before the end of the year. My Father has a flip phone on Straight Talk with Verizon service & he got an e-mail today letting him know his current phone will no longer function at the end of 2019. They sent him an offer for a new phone but the only flip phone is an Alcatel and I'm not sure if it's worth buying. I'll probably check out some other MVNO's to see if he can get a better flip phone somewhere else then he can just port his number.
    I have set my grandma with a CDMA only phone a while back on Total Wireless. The accounts that I setup for her phone stuff has not got a message like that yet.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If you're talking about the Alcatel "My Flip"; for a none android basic phone I think you'd be happy. I got one when they were Black Friday sale at BestBuy for $10. Now only $20. It's a Tracfone but will work on any of the Tracfone sub branded MVNOs like Straight Talk. Great basic flip with VoLTE and wifi. As the year goes on you'll be seeing more 4G/LTE flips, specifically android flips, like used allot in Asian countries. There's a reasonably sized market in the US for small flips. Allot of people use cell phones as phones, not computers. The big screen smartphones have gotten out of control. Even Apple users are pulling the plug on upgrading to bigger is better as evidenced by the Apple sales down turn.
    Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until just now. Thank you for the review. Honestly, it seems like the Alcatel flip is the only option for flip phone's right now on just about any prepaid carrier. I told my Father not to wait until the last minute & to pick one up next he's in Walmart. I don't want to take a chance that there won't be any flip phone's available anywhere if he waits too long. He just has no interest at all in switching to a smart phone.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until just now. Thank you for the review. Honestly, it seems like the Alcatel flip is the only option for flip phone's right now on just about any prepaid carrier. I told my Father not to wait until the last minute & to pick one up next he's in Walmart. I don't want to take a chance that there won't be any flip phone's available anywhere if he waits too long. He just has no interest at all in switching to a smart phone.
    Just a heads up. The Tracfone My Flip I got at Best Buy had a Verizon SIM. It's possible the Walmart ones may have an ATT SIM on Straight Talk. Last I was in Walmart they were $30 there. If his discount offer is buying directly from Straight Talk that may be better and more likely to keep him on Vzw. Just watch the network activation it's for. Depends on the SIM that's in it could be either ATT or Vzw.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip. I was in Walmart over the weekend & the Straight Talk My Flip that they had in stock had the red coverage map so it should be the Verizon network version. But honestly Verizon or AT&T coverage would suit him fine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwprepaiduser View Post
    I'm late to this thread but there's one aspect of this that has been missed by the participants here. Verizon refuses to activate even the LTE basic phones on grandfathered daily prepaid plans. I and likely many other people have these plans because we're light cell phone users and get service for a very low cost. About $8/month on average in my case. The cost would rise to $30/month to move to a current plan. Verizon would certainly prefer we went away and that's fine. Many people, including me, have substantial account balances that have built up. I think they either need to allow the plans to continue and phones to be upgraded or offer to cash out the account balance for us to move on. They probably don't want to commit to a migration plan at this time to see how many voluntarily drop off.
    Never even thought of this... I have a prepaid flip phone on an ancient Alltel per minute plan. If I can’t just buy a phone and keep the plan, I will say bye bye to it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    Never even thought of this... I have a prepaid flip phone on an ancient Alltel per minute plan. If I can’t just buy a phone and keep the plan, I will say bye bye to it.
    A plan is grandfathered because it's not offered anymore. Verizon is under no obligation to keep grandfathering a plan forever.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would suspect the prepaid will have to phase out CDMA only phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ren7nc View Post
    That would be a "safe assumption".
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ren7nc View Post
    Well, yeah, that's kind of the point of this whole thread. And there's nothing to "suspect", the phase out needs to happen before the end of this year.

Feedback Score
    Well, yeah, that's kind of the point of this whole thread. And there's nothing to "suspect", the phase out needs to happen before the end of this year.
    Sooo many basic phones left on resellers....gonna be a **** show at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Sooo many basic phones left on resellers....gonna be a **** show at the end of the year.

There are 4G basic phones. Verizon has been selling only 4G basic phones for a year now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    There are 4G basic phones. Verizon has been selling only 4G basic phones for a year now.
    Yeah but there’s so many clinging to super old 1x phones still... particularly on resellers. Would love to know the number.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It certainly looks that way. Although we do have confirmation that at least Verizon prepaid & the Tracfone brands have started notifying affected customers that they will need to upgrade their device before the end of the year. Hopefully the other Verizon MVNO's are doing the same.

Feedback Score
    Yeah but there’s so many clinging to super old 1x phones still... particularly on resellers. Would love to know the number. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    would this work ?? - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ntil-4-30-2019

Feedback Score
    Yeah but there’s so many clinging to super old 1x phones still... particularly on resellers. Would love to know the number.

What are the total number of people using Verizon MVNOs? Most are probably not using basic phones. Those that are? Oh well better get new phone or else.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast