Thread: Device to prevent leaving iPhone behind?

Feedback Score

Device to prevent leaving iPhone behind?

I have a relative that is very forgetful. If she takes her phone out of her handbag to charge it in the car charger, she will forget to put it back in the handbag when she reaches the destination.
    The phone is left in the car which will invite someone to break into the car to steal the phone.
    So she ends up leaving the iPhone in her bag with low signal strength, not charging and the battery drains in a few hours.

I looked at tile trackers, but they don’t do what she needs. They seem designed to track other objects with your phone, but she needs the opposite.

Is there a geofencing tracker she can attach to her key ring that will beep or buzz if the phone is out of range? That way, if she walks away from her phone with her keys, the tracker will make a noise to remind her to go back and get the phone.

Any other ideas?

Feedback Score
    try putting the phone in a case that has a wrist strap or neck strap that way
    she'll have the phone always with her.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    Any other ideas?
    Lose the iPhone, buy her a feature flip phone. There's only so much you can do if the user doesn't/can't properly engage.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    An Apple Watch can notify you if you leave your iPhone behind. No idea what happens when Aunt Forgetfulson doesn't remember where she put the Watch. (btw I say this with all respect as my wife has the same problem. We have tracked her phone more often on Find My iPhone than i care to admit).

Now that I'm actually looking for a solution, this might work: How to Get Notified When You Leave Your Keys or Wallet Behind with Trackr
    DW does have Trackr devices on her phone and some other items; if she were to drop another one in her purse/wallet, it looks like there would be a way to notify when a certain distance away from the phone is reached. That saves the problem of having to figure out which of several geofence locations she might possibly be in.

Hmm. Gotta spend more time looking at this one. But you look, too. Maybe between us we can figure this out.

https://www.howtogeek.com/310829/how...d-with-trackr/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    An Apple Watch can notify you if you leave your iPhone behind. No idea what happens when Aunt Forgetfulson doesn't remember where she put the Watch. (btw I say this with all respect as my wife has the same problem. We have tracked her phone more often on Find My iPhone than i care to admit).

Now that I'm actually looking for a solution, this might work: How to Get Notified When You Leave Your Keys or Wallet Behind with Trackr
    DW does have Trackr devices on her phone and some other items; if she were to drop another one in her purse/wallet, it looks like there would be a way to notify when a certain distance away from the phone is reached. That saves the problem of having to figure out which of several geofence locations she might possibly be in.

Hmm. Gotta spend more time looking at this one. But you look, too. Maybe between us we can figure this out.

https://www.howtogeek.com/310829/how...d-with-trackr/
    I looked at Trackr and Tile and they do the opposite of what she needs.
    The purpose of these is to use your phone to find lost items such as keys or a bag that you have attached the tag to. You install an app on the phone that tracks the location of the tag.
    We want a tiny device that fits on her keychain with a built-in speaker that makes a noise if it moves out of Bluetooth range of the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As I mentioned in my post, my wife has Trackr devices on some items of hers. The Trackr we have (only a year old) offers the ability to click/tap one of them to "ring" the others. If it's within earshot, it can be tracked down.

If you're willing to wait until I have time to finish some other tasks and investigate how this would work, I think I can show you how it would work. But between the Trackr Web site and the howtogeek article, I think there's a way of figuring out a distance-based alert that could then set off a Trackr device on your relative's keychain. Or maybe someone else will mention a way of doing it; I just can't look at it now and it hasn't been enough of an issue for us to have to dig into it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have a few minutes now, so from the howtogeek article:
    Trackr devices connect to your phone via Bluetooth, and will stay connected as long as they’re within about 100 feet or so of each other. The app gives you the option to ring either your Trackr device, your phone, or both if they ever become disconnected.
    So one Trackr on the phone (which is running the app) and one on her keychain and just set it to ring the keychain Trackr on the disconnect. It at least reminds your relative to look wherever they just were (that is, within 100' of wherever she was last with the phone). Caveats: not sure how it handles a situation where she cannot go back to the phone right away to switch off the alert; it does depend on good batteries on both the iPhone and the Trackr (though those are good for about a year; longer in our experience).

Feedback Score
    Maybe get her a car charger and plug in a 6 foot cable and then have her put her phone back in her purse. If she tries to leave the cable will remind her to unplug it when she gets out of the car.

Device(s)
    IPhone X Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Maybe get her a car charger and plug in a 6 foot cable and then have her put her phone back in her purse. If she tries to leave the cable will remind her to unplug it when she gets out of the car.
    Thats what I do. But only need the 3 ft cable unless charger is in an unusual place.

Feedback Score
    It works for some women I know. Especially if they find a place in their purse that they can leave the phone with the charge port facing up and visible while in the purse. All they have to remember is to aim for the port when they get in, and pull the cord when they get out. The only thing that takes less effort is wireless charging.

Device(s)
    IPhone X Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    It works for some women I know. Especially if they find a place in their purse that they can leave the phone with the charge port facing up and visible while in the purse. All they have to remember is to aim for the port when they get in, and pull the cord when they get out. The only thing that takes less effort is wireless charging.
    Agree. This is one of the reasons that I haven’t bought a wireless charger for the car. Don’t want to chance leaving the phone in the car.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    my Subaru has a USB port I charge it in the car and I am not forgetful so I always have the phone in my pocket