Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Central Alabama disapointment

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Central Alabama disapointment

Today I drove from Montgomery, Alabama to Lineville up Ala Hwy 9 and found pretty much the same band-2 swiss cheese coverage that has been in place for the last several years. No improvement noticed. Why they have not added band-12 to these sites bewilders me. No sense of urgency about it.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Today I drove from Montgomery, Alabama to Lineville up Ala Hwy 9 and found pretty much the same band-2 swiss cheese coverage that has been in place for the last several years. No improvement noticed. Why they have not added band-12 to these sites bewilders me. No sense of urgency about it.
    There's a lot of that going around.

Feedback Score

Central Alabama disapointment

There is band 12 in the area it’s just very weak. I recommend emailing the ceo and filing a ticket for the area. They also have L600 not too far out. So it’s just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    The same explanations used for the South West Fl thread,to a large extent,could be used to explain Al coverage issues as well as hundreds of other poor coverage areas all over the country.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    There is band 12 in the area it’s just very weak. I recommend emailing the ceo and filing a ticket for the area. They also have L600 not too far out. So it’s just a matter of time.
    You are right. I see band-12 mapped but when I looked at my phone, band-12 was seldom displayed, even as an adjacent cell. Why have it if it is not providing any additional coverage? Also, I know this area is not New York City but how does T-Mobile expect to expand their market share if they are not using their available spectrum to expand their coverage?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    The same explanations used for the South West Fl thread,to a large extent,could be used to explain Al coverage issues as well as hundreds of other poor coverage areas all over the country.
    What explanation is that exactly?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Low ROI area perhaps? That might explain lack of any priority assuming spectrum and backhaul isn't any constraint?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Verizon and AT&T aren’t that much more expensive nowadays.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Low ROI area perhaps? That might explain lack of any priority assuming spectrum and backhaul isn't any constraint?
    Most likely culprit I would guess is low ROI. T-Mobile has 20MHz of B4, 15MHz of B2, 5MHz B12 deployed, and of course B71 whenever they start to deploy that here. AT&T has a pretty extensive fiber network in the areas he's talking about.

It's really just a lack of investment and very few new cell sites being built. It's kind of disappointing to see how the network performs in rural areas compared to how they market it to work.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, this is a fairly consistent experience throughout Alabama with T-Mobile. They are definitely not anywhere near as dense as Verizon and even AT&T in rural Alabama.

Interesting how they show Alabama as virtually blanketed with coverage, however, if you click about 10-15 miles off any major highway (Hwy 280 for example), you'll see that coverage is always listed as 'fair' which is usually 'no service'.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Sure it would be low ROI but if you tell someone that they will have to carry a backup phone for service on the road, T-Mobile becomes a non-starter. T-Mobile has done reasonably well with rural service in south of Montgomery (outside the area where CSpire owns the 170A block). It is disappointing to see so little improvement north of Montgomery.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You are right. I see band-12 mapped but when I looked at my phone, band-12 was seldom displayed, even as an adjacent cell. Why have it if it is not providing any additional coverage? Also, I know this area is not New York City but how does T-Mobile expect to expand their market share if they are not using their available spectrum to expand their coverage?
    Which is why I've been skeptical of the band 71 hype. It doesn't matter what band you have if you don't deploy it to the towers.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sure it would be low ROI but if you tell someone that they will have to carry a backup phone for service on the road, T-Mobile becomes a non-starter. T-Mobile has done reasonably well with rural service in south of Montgomery (outside the area where CSpire owns the 170A block). It is disappointing to see so little improvement north of Montgomery.
    Who is the dominant carrier in the area(s) you mention?

While I have no desire/reason to visit Alabama, I had family in SLD or slower lower Delaware as they refer to it. The minute you went south of Dover service fell apart.
    The entire Delmarva Peninsula suffered terribly. B12 was deployed and it got better. It’s still not Verizon but notably better than it used to be.

With such a low population or density in many of the areas it certainly is all about ROI. While upgrading to B71 will cost money at existing sites, it cost lots and lots of money to build new towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    This is just more anti T-mobile propaganda. No specifics provided for the "hundreds of other poor coverage areas". You are still paying Metro every month for this "poor coverage", yes?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Which is why I've been skeptical of the band 71 hype. It doesn't matter what band you have if you don't deploy it to the towers.
    How can T-Mobile deploy Band 71 when there are so many TV stations that it would interfere with it especially in central Alabama? Band 12 is a band-aid that doesn't have the bandwidth at just 5 Mhz to be put on every tower without causing it's own interferences tower to tower.

Not you Hokie but some people on this board act like T-Mobile can put a Band 12 tower every mile to blanket the area in Band 12. T-Mobile needs Band 71 for rural coverage since it is just not affordable to use Band 2/4 that would take four towers to cover the same area as just one tower with Band 12 or 71. Using Band 12 or Band 71 cost anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10th the cost of covering the same physical area as any other Band that T-Mobile owns. Check out this picture where T-Mobile showed how much cheaper Band 12 was than their other bands covering the same physical area.

Name:  700Mhz vs higher spectrum.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  68.8 KB

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast