Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Central Alabama disapointment

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Band 12 is a band-aid that doesn't have the bandwidth at just 5 Mhz to be put on every tower without causing it's own interferences tower to tower.

Attachment 161038
    I'm not really sure I understand this statement. Being that it's only a 5 x 2 channel, it most definitely needs to be on every single site.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I'm not really sure I understand this statement. Being that it's only a 5 x 2 channel, it most definitely needs to be on every single site.

If Band 12 was on every tower then it would cause so much cell tower to cell tower interferences that no one could use band 12. Just like if T-Mobile started broadcasting Band 71 it would interrupt all the TV stations using those same frequency with interferences that would make the TV and the Mobile service un-usable.

It is like the old CB radios when lots of people used them to avoid the police back in the 1970s and early 80s. Hundreds of people all talking on the same channel at the same time over those CB's in the car and it was just hard to get a clear message.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If Band 12 was on every tower then it would cause so much cell tower to cell tower interferences
    All they need to do is copy Verizon. They manage to be on all the towers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How can T-Mobile deploy Band 71 when there are so many TV stations that it would interfere with it especially in central Alabama? Band 12 is a band-aid that doesn't have the bandwidth at just 5 Mhz to be put on every tower without causing it's own interferences tower to tower.

Not you Hokie but some people on this board act like T-Mobile can put a Band 12 tower every mile to blanket the area in Band 12. T-Mobile needs Band 71 for rural coverage since it is just not affordable to use Band 2/4 that would take four towers to cover the same area as just one tower with Band 12 or 71. Using Band 12 or Band 71 cost anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10th the cost of covering the same physical area as any other Band that T-Mobile owns. Check out this picture where T-Mobile showed how much cheaper Band 12 was than their other bands covering the same physical area.

Attachment 161038
    I understand that, and I'm looking forward to band 71 being more widely deployed.

My point is that there are large areas where T-Mobile owns band 12 licenses and haven't deployed a single cell. On any frequency. And those areas are covered by other carriers. I see this all the time on trips. Since they didn't bother with band 12, why would they treat 71 any differently?

Tomorrow I'm traveling to Texas, southwest of Dallas. I've been told by a colleague that the cell network works great there. I'm assuming he's a Verizon customer. I'll find out how T-Mobile is there. So many times, I get to a place and there is no service at all, and everyone else is talking on their phone.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Which is why I've been skeptical of the band 71 hype. It doesn't matter what band you have if you don't deploy it to the towers.
    You think?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Who is the dominant carrier in the area(s) you mention?

While I have no desire/reason to visit Alabama, I had family in SLD or slower lower Delaware as they refer to it. The minute you went south of Dover service fell apart.
    The entire Delmarva Peninsula suffered terribly. B12 was deployed and it got better. It’s still not Verizon but notably better than it used to be.

With such a low population or density in many of the areas it certainly is all about ROI. While upgrading to B71 will cost money at existing sites, it cost lots and lots of money to build new towers.
    If there is coverage from other carriers,then the towers are already there. I've complained numerous times about this and Al is just getting the same neglect that most of the other states have gotten, neglect.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post

Interesting diagram, and i know nothing about band deployment,but in and around my sparsely populated area, i only notice b12 at my home,and thankfully it's there as when I'm on b12 i have 5 bars and if it chances to b2 the signal drops to 1 or 2
    Bars with iffy service.

This b12 apparently come from a tower less than a half mile away, and while b12 may on other towers here,I've yet to observe it. However, i usually have much faster dl rates with b2, but either is usually quite satisfactory. This tower is on one of the higher ridges overlooking the community, so may be using it to fill in some gaps. But in general wouldn't there be fewer gaps with more antennas? We got hills here too.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    If there is coverage from other carriers,then the towers are already there. I've complained numerous times about this and Al is just getting the same neglect that most of the other states have gotten, neglect.
    So are you complaing that they haven't installed equipment on towers that others have?

No offense but that's just whining.
    Instead of complaining why not just switch carriers? I know where T-Mobile is going to work and also suck based on my travels. If I wanted or needed Verizon's coverage I'd just switch to them.
    Total Wireless can get you on the Red network for fairly cheap.

Sent from my LG G6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    So are you complaing that they haven't installed equipment on towers that others have?

No offense but that's just whining.
    Instead of complaining why not just switch carriers? I know where T-Mobile is going to work and also suck based on my travels. If I wanted or needed Verizon's coverage I'd just switch to them.
    Total Wireless can get you on the Red network for fairly cheap.

Sent from my LG G6 using HoFo mobile app
    Plane is already on the Cricket (AT&T) network and the Verizon network. He just has a Metro line so he can trash T-Mobile 24x7x365.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    All they need to do is copy Verizon. They manage to be on all the towers.
    Verizon's spectrum doesn't have magical powers to avoid tower to tower radio interferences with identical frequency blocks. Either they seperate the towers far enough so they don't overlap causing tower to tower interference or they don't activate overlapping towers coverage zones with the identical frequency blocks. There are technical methods of reducing low band coverage distances like tilting the antennas or lowering the tower transmit power.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Plane is already on the Cricket (AT&T) network and the Verizon network. He just has a Metro line so he can trash T-Mobile 24x7x365.
    Yeah I guess, but somehow even the dumbest person in the world (not you) would understand that a carrier should supply communications, especially one that had all these little monikers such as "cellular understood" etc as a boot up page. This could be construed as false advertising among other discriptions, ie, I expect cellular service that I pay for to work. Is that too much to ask. Yes or no?

Otoh, is my observation accurate or not? Yes or no? It's good of you to answer questions which no one asked. When one is trying to make a logical argument and begins by making irrelevant comments about the messenger and offering absolutely no facts to refute the original premise, this is usually a good indication of having no facts on their side or the ability to present them.

And as the op astutely observed, to paraphrase, with Tm, there was spotty coverage, as I have observed in virtually every local away from metro areas. If I didn't have other carriers, I wouldn't have service. Can this observation be disputed, again yes or no?

Possibly a more accurate ad for Tm would include disclaimer, in big print, that Tm mostly has little or greatly reduced coverage away from metropolitian areas, which according to Wikipedia is about 97 %, of the US.
    Last edited by plane; 01-06-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    Saying that T-Mo has spotty coverage away from metro areas is a pretty blanket statement. Maybe that’s been your experience but it’s not everyone’s. If that was my experience, I’d switch carriers.

There are plenty of examples of places T-Mobile covers better that Verizon and ATT. My boss recently went from Salt Lake up through Wyoming. His ATT phone was stuck on unusable 3G the whole time while T-Mobile had Band 71 LTE. If Wyoming isn’t rural, I don’t know what is. Same way with Montana.

I have esim on my XS Max and my work ATT SIM struggles with coverage here in Hawaii way more than T-Mobile. T-Mobiles LTE is also almost always faster in my comparisons.

Not saying you’re wrong but everyone’s results will vary depending on location, phone, and other factors. Use what works best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I expect cellular service that I pay for to work. Is that too much to ask. Yes or no?
    T-Mobile has never represented they have coverage everywhere. It works where they have coverage.

But I agree, if you feel you're paying for something that you're not getting, then cancel your service. Take your business elsewhere.

As billm261 stated to you, "Instead of complaining why not just switch carriers?"

You've never provided a good answer to that question.

You just continue to post vague generalities such as, "with Tm, there was spotty coverage, as I have observed in virtually every local away from metro areas. "

Factually I have been to many areas "away from metro areas" that did not have spotty T-Mobile coverage. They in fact had T-mobile coverage which worked perfectly fine. They are not hard to find. So your statement about this happening "in virtually every local away from metro areas. " is just blatantly misleading. Which I feel is your purpose here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Saying that T-Mo has spotty coverage away from metro areas is a pretty blanket statement. Maybe that’s been your experience but it’s not everyone’s. If that was my experience, I’d switch carriers.

There are plenty of examples of places T-Mobile covers better that Verizon and ATT. My boss recently went from Salt Lake up through Wyoming. His ATT phone was stuck on unusable 3G the whole time while T-Mobile had Band 71 LTE. If Wyoming isn’t rural, I don’t know what is. Same way with Montana.

I have esim on my XS Max and my work ATT SIM struggles with coverage here in Hawaii way more than T-Mobile. T-Mobiles LTE is also almost always faster in my comparisons.

Not saying you’re wrong but everyone’s results will vary depending on location, phone, and other factors. Use what works best.
    The theme of this thread is comments on Tm coverage, not whether a particular member needs to change carriers. And had been stated thousands of times, every carrier has weak areas, Tm seems to have more than it's share. Some of us just want to know where they are. Continually defending this undefendable characteristic of any carrier and endless mockery of those making these observation, to, serves no useful propose,jmo.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If Band 12 was on every tower then it would cause so much cell tower to cell tower interferences that no one could use band 12.
    Untrue. In the extremely sparsely populated areas in Alabama like the OP is talking about, B12 is needed on every single tower. The unfortunate fact is that a lot of these rural towers have only had ground mounted radios added for LTE B2, and the antennas have not been touched since Powertel days. Somehow Verizon and AT&T manage to put B13/B12 on every single rural tower they have license for, and they aren't having major interference.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast