Thread: Cheap prepaid for driving in Southern Ontario

Feedback Score

Cheap prepaid for driving in Southern Ontario

A couple of times per year I drive through southern Ontario, between Michigan and New York. My US prepaid service does not work there and I feel uncomfortable not having an emergency phone. I looked into changing my prepaid service to something that might work in both countries, but I really like Page Plus for both the Verizon network (I live in a rural area) and for the low cost pay as you go plans that work well with my limited use.

I'm looking for a cheap prepaid that I can purchase and activate ahead of time, allow to expire between trips, and reactivate for the next trip. I don't care about keeping the number. This is emergencies only.

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Of course, for true emergencies any 3G/4G WCDMA/LTE phone can call 911, even without a SIM. Depending on which PagePlus phone you have, you may be capable of calling 911 as is. Exigencies are another subject altogether.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Okay, let's call them urgent situations, car breaks down etc ...

I've done more research and it looks like AT&T prepaid should work. I was thinking I might try to activate an old GSM phone (or buy a new cheapie) and the $10 prepaid card ...

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge Moto E4/E2/G4-G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    The cheapest monthly AT&T Prepaid plan that will work in Canada is the $50/month ($40 with autopay) plan.

Oh, I forgot that pay-as-you-go will roam in Canada at 39 cents per minute.
    Last edited by mframe; 01-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    So I've been thinking of buying an unlocked universal Moto E4 X1768 for a while now, to use on my Page Plus service. I might just do that then get a GSM sim and prepaid card for Canada.

I'm thinking either the $10 AT&T pay-as-you-go card or a Truphone or Piranha sim and service, which cost a bit more ...