Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: a good deal

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    He is the one who vehemently defended AT&T GoPhone over Cricket....since Cricket had the "latency" and the "ping servers" and throttling. GoPhone was a fine steak while Cricket was hamburger. At the time I was a GoPhone customer and a happy one, and so I agreed with some of his thoughts, but I later switched to Cricket and have been happily saving money ever since.
    I think i kinda remember that, reading some of silly posts on Att civil war between Gophone and Cricket ...lmao. Is Att prepaid folks still whining about lack of volte & wifi calling? I have not kept up with the details due to work and responsibility, no time... fine steak lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbudha View Post
    What Makes Unreal Mobile A More Premium Product?
    FreedomPop is a low cost MVNO brand that relies on VoIP technology to provide voice service to its customers. To date, VoIP technology has been hit or miss for subscribers. Some say it induces voice lag, where one person speaks and the other person can't hear what has been said until half a second later. At its worst VoIP can lead to the two parties talking over one another, at its best the flaw goes relatively unnoticed.

Unreal Mobile will NOT be relying on VoIP to provide voice to its subscribers. Voice will be provided over a cellular network just like how nearly every other carrier offers it. However, during times when the cellular voice network is weak, data networks including WiFi will be used to provide VoIP voice service. So in this case, VoIP will be used as a fallback technology, not a primary technology like with FreedomPop. Unreal Mobile customers will still be able to use an app if they'd like so that they can place and answer calls and texts on any device including tablets, PCS's, second phones and iPads. However, an app won't be required for service on the primary phone.

The customer support experience should also be improved over FreedomPop's. Unreal Mobile will have a customer support phone number that is easy to find listed on its website. New and existing subscribers will be able to use it to call for help. Support will also be made available by email."

https://bestmvno.com/unreal-mobile/u...g-at-10-month/
    They have two different products. The Sprint version uses cellular. The AT&T Sim option is VOIP garbage...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbudha View Post
    i just got a good deal from unreal mobile, $10 a month for unlimited voice and text and 1 gig att service.
    It's not a bad deal but remember that it's part of FreedomPop and like FreedomPop it's VOIP only on AT&T.

I just ported out my Cricket lines to Total Wireless. I had the 5/$100 grandfathered plan but I really didn't need the fifth line. I was okay with Cricket except for a couple of issues:

1) Tethering. My son at college needs to tether occasionally when the university's Wi-Fi is not working or is too slow. He's been tethering, unbeknownst to me, but Cricket never said anything. Total Wireless has to allow tethering because Verizon is prohibited by the FCC to prohibit tethering (except on unlimited plans, https://www.extremetech.com/electron...free-tethering). Cricket is essentially unlimited data since they allow unlimited low speed data after your high-speed data is used up, but AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile aren't bound by the FCC ruling anyway, it was Verizon specific.

2) Coverage. In California, you really have to have Verizon if you want suburban and rural coverage, though any of the four carriers works fine in urban areas. My house is in the center of a Silicon Valley City and my AT&T coverage is weak (they are aware of this but for some reason they are unable to provision a tower that is just a few hundred feet away from me).

3) Data Amount: 5GB was sufficient for three of us on the family plan, but not really for one of us. So the shared data on Total Wireless is preferable to me.

4. The lower data speed didn't really matter much to me but Total Wireless is much, much faster, and it's noticeable in some use cases. I am getting 90Mb/s down on Total Wireless, on Cricket it was about 8Mb/s, Total Wireless is about 11x the speed.

Advantages of Total Wireless
    --------------------------------
    -Much better coverage since it's on Verizon
    -Much faster data connection
    -Tethering allowed (apparently) at no extra cost (at least there is nothing in the Terms and Conditions that forbids it)
    -Data is shared (2 lines share 22.5GB, 3 lines share 30GB, 4 lines share 37.5GB, as long as at least one of the phone numbers is ported from another carrier). Shared data is better for me since not all my lines use similar amounts of data. Cricket was 5GB per line. I will have three lines on one account so they get an average of 10GB per line. The other account will eventually have four lines so each averages 9.375GB.
    -Extra data is very cheap, $2/GB (5GB for $10).

Disadvantages of Total Wireless
    -------------------------------
    -No roaming in Canada or Mexico
    -You need phones that will work on Verizon and low-end phones are usually not Verizon compatible
    -For some reason, Total Wireless has a very hard time activating some BYOD iPhone models with a new number, but you can port in a number from another carrier. They finally managed to get my iPhone activated after 90 minutes of a customer service chat, and I had to port in a number from another carrier to get it to work.
    -Taxes and fees are additional, though not nearly as high as what postpaid carriers charge.
    -Maximum of four lines on the family plan

For new customers, the price of four lines is almost identical between Cricket and Total Wireless. It's $95 on Total Wireless and $100 on Cricket, but Total Wireless adds about $5 in taxes and fees so it's a wash. But you get tethering at no extra cost on Total Wireless.

Total Wireless is the best MVNO for Verizon family plans. The RedPocket offering only has 3GB of data per line.
    Last edited by smsgator; 01-21-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    “It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once you've told them about a superior alternative, your responsibility is fulfilled and you can allow them to lose in peace.” Mark Crispin, inventor of the iMAP e-mail protocol.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Better coverage is very location based. All depends on where you are and where you travel to. In WI, att has better coverage in most areas than vzw.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^Better coverage is very location based. All depends on where you are and where you travel to. In WI, att has better coverage in most areas than vzw.
    I agree. Att is much better than Verizon in wi. It's no contest at all. Also with firstnet att has surpassed Verizon on the rural coverage in most states now. Band 14 is really spreading fast

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    It's not a bad deal but remember that it's part of FreedomPop and like FreedomPop it's VOIP only on AT&T.

I just ported out my Cricket lines to Total Wireless. I had the 5/$100 grandfathered plan but I really didn't need the fifth line. I was okay with Cricket except for a couple of issues:

1) Tethering. My son at college needs to tether occasionally when the university's Wi-Fi is not working or is too slow. He's been tethering, unbeknownst to me, but Cricket never said anything. Total Wireless has to allow tethering because Verizon is prohibited by the FCC to prohibit tethering (except on unlimited plans, https://www.extremetech.com/electron...free-tethering). Cricket is essentially unlimited data since they allow unlimited low speed data after your high-speed data is used up, but AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile aren't bound by the FCC ruling anyway, it was Verizon specific.

2) Coverage. In California, you really have to have Verizon if you want suburban and rural coverage, though any of the four carriers works fine in urban areas. My house is in the center of a Silicon Valley City and my AT&T coverage is weak (they are aware of this but for some reason they are unable to provision a tower that is just a few hundred feet away from me).

3) Data Amount: 5GB was sufficient for three of us on the family plan, but not really for one of us. So the shared data on Total Wireless is preferable to me.

4. The lower data speed didn't really matter much to me but Total Wireless is much, much faster, and it's noticeable in some use cases. I am getting 90Mb/s down on Total Wireless, on Cricket it was about 8Mb/s, Total Wireless is about 11x the speed.

Advantages of Total Wireless
    --------------------------------
    -Much better coverage since it's on Verizon
    -Much faster data connection
    -Tethering allowed (apparently) at no extra cost (at least there is nothing in the Terms and Conditions that forbids it)
    -Data is shared (2 lines share 22.5GB, 3 lines share 30GB, 4 lines share 37.5GB, as long as at least one of the phone numbers is ported from another carrier). Shared data is better for me since not all my lines use similar amounts of data. Cricket was 5GB per line. I will have three lines on one account so they get an average of 10GB per line. The other account will eventually have four lines so each averages 9.375GB.
    -Extra data is very cheap, $2/GB (5GB for $10).

Disadvantages of Total Wireless
    -------------------------------
    -No roaming in Canada or Mexico
    -You need phones that will work on Verizon and low-end phones are usually not Verizon compatible
    -For some reason, Total Wireless has a very hard time activating some BYOD iPhone models with a new number, but you can port in a number from another carrier. They finally managed to get my iPhone activated after 90 minutes of a customer service chat, and I had to port in a number from another carrier to get it to work.
    -Taxes and fees are additional, though not nearly as high as what postpaid carriers charge.
    -Maximum of four lines on the family plan

For new customers, the price of four lines is almost identical between Cricket and Total Wireless. It's $95 on Total Wireless and $100 on Cricket, but Total Wireless adds about $5 in taxes and fees so it's a wash. But you get tethering at no extra cost on Total Wireless.

Total Wireless is the best MVNO for Verizon family plans. The RedPocket offering only has 3GB of data per line.
    What devices did you buy to use on Total Wireless?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMPhonePhreak View Post
    What devices did you buy to use on Total Wireless?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I bought a Note 9 128GB on sale for $749.99 with a new line. Other phones, that I already had, and moved to TW, are an iPhone 6s Plus, a Moto X4, and a Galaxy S8. Will move one more X4 soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I agree. Att is much better than Verizon in wi. It's no contest at all. Also with firstnet att has surpassed Verizon on the rural coverage in most states now. Band 14 is really spreading fast
    Actually, based on real-world data, not coverage maps provided by the carrier, AT&T and Verizon are very close in Wisconsin.

See: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...-Wisconsin-USA A nice site because you can quickly switch between carriers. There are some areas with no Verizon coverage that have AT&T coverage and vice-versa.

Sprint and T-Mobile are far behind of course.

Similar situation in California, though Verizon does a better job in rural areas.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Actually, based on real-world data, not coverage maps provided by the carrier, AT&T and Verizon are very close in Wisconsin.

See: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...-Wisconsin-USA A nice site because you can quickly switch between carriers. There are some areas with no Verizon coverage that have AT&T coverage and vice-versa.

Sprint and T-Mobile are far behind of course.

Similar situation in California, though Verizon does a better job in rural areas.
    That WhistleOut coverage comparison page is really neat.

It looks like it depends on where in Wisconsin you need coverage. Verizon has a big coverage gap in NE Wisconsin. AT&T has a gap in SW Wisconsin. To cover the whole state you need both AT&T and Verizon or maybe Verizon plus Sprint which fills in most of Verizon's NE gap.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 01-23-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    That WhistleOut coverage comparage page is really neat.

It looks like it depends on where in Wisconsin you need coverage. Verizon has a big coverage gap in NE Wisconsin. AT&T has a gap in SW Wisconsin. To cover the whole state you need both AT&T and Verizon or maybe Verizon plus Sprint which fills in most of Verizon's NE gap.
    With an iPhone Xr or Xs you can have one e-SIM on Verizon and one physical SIM on AT&T or vice-versa so you can be covered with one phone. Or I guess you could go with Verizon and then get a FreedomPop free line for the times you're off Verizon's network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2