Thread: New customer questions

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New customer questions

I am in a position where I need to open a new personal line. I've been on my company's corporate plan for years, so I missed the boat on the $60/10 GB plan offered by the "big three" last year.

Thinking about going with Freedom Mobile as I need an option that won't break the bank, but am open to other suggestions.

I'm curious what they mean when they state "no data overages". Does that mean data will simply be throttled when you reach the limit, or will you eventually be given a warning and booted off your plan?

Also, do they allow tethering on the phone plans?

Finally, when taking advantage of a promotion, do you lose it or are you forced to change your plan if you port in a number at a later date?

Thanks for any responses.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    I am in a position where I need to open a new personal line. I've been on my company's corporate plan for years, so I missed the boat on the $60/10 GB plan offered by the "big three" last year.

Thinking about going with Freedom Mobile as I need an option that won't break the bank, but am open to other suggestions.

I'm curious what they mean when they state "no data overages". Does that mean data will simply be throttled when you reach the limit, or will you eventually be given a warning and booted off your plan?

Also, do they allow tethering on the phone plans?

Finally, when taking advantage of a promotion, do you lose it or are you forced to change your plan if you port in a number at a later date?

Thanks for any responses.
    When you go over your limit, your speed will get throttled, but you'll never get charged extra money. I'm currently throttled right now, and while it is slow, it's not awful. I used to be on Chatr, and once you went over your limit, data was basically unusable. When I'm downloading something, the speed is in the 30KB/sec range, with occasional bursts up near 50KB/sec.

Tethering is included.

As far as I know, you're not gonna be forced to change your plan or lose any promos if you port in later. My roommate was on Freedom prepaid, and in order to keep his number when moving to postpaid, with a 35% off for life coupon, we had to port that number over to Rogers prepaid. After the number was on Rogers, we signed him up with Freedom postpaid, and a day or two later, ported the number in with no loss of plan.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @rustybob has already covered most of your questions so I will just touch on a couple things to add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    As @rustybob said, they will throttle, but not bill you extra. This applies to roaming too if it is included in your plan. I would add that it is subject to a fair usage clause so if they felt you were abusing the service, they could terminate the agreement. I still don't think you would get billed more. I think they would just cut you off or something. I don't know anyone that this happened to. My son uses roughly 60% beyond his high speed allotment every month and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DataDude
    I have never heard of that being a problem. If you have a plan that they decide is no longer going to be offered, you are still allowed to keep it, but they they may exclude you from certain promotions such as a phone discount or perhaps a new discount such as the digital discount ($5 off for automatic billing I think?). For example, my plan is not considered an "in market plan" and as such, when I went for a hardware purchase, they wouldn't give me the same promo price as someone signing up for the current promo. I think porting your number in would be different. They will charge an admin fee to do it, but I don't see why they would refuse to allow a port that could otherwise be completed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Favourite past devices:
    HTC Raider 4G LTE (aka Vivid aka Holiday), SGS I9000M, Various BB, HTC TYTN, SE P800.

If I have helped please consider saying so here!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Out of curiosity, how is "away usage" handled for grandfathered plans? I personally like having unlimited "away" calling/texting plus a bucket of data. Presumably not all grandfathered plans would include this, is that correct?

Basically trying to be OK with having a "new customer price plan" lol.