Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my iPhone 6s from Thailand doesn't work with Total Wireless sim card

Feedback Score

Question my iPhone 6s from Thailand doesn't work with Total Wireless sim card

I brought my iPhone 6s Plus model A1687 from Thailand to use in California. Yesterday I bought a prepaid sim card of Total Wireless (TFW) but it didn't work with my phone. When I turned on my mobile, the signal was very weak (only one bar or even none) and then became "no service". When I dialed *73, I got the message "iPhone is not activated". But when I changed to sim card from Thailand, the message changed to "iPhone is activated".

I tried asking for help from Total Wireless and they couldn't fix it yet. So I would like to ask for advice from you. Do you have any idea if there's something I can do to fix it or anybody has bought iphone 6s from Thailand to use in USA? Please help me. Thank you very very much.
    Last edited by Arisara; 01-10-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisara View Post
    I brought my iPhone 6s Plus model A1687 from Thailand to use in California. Yesterday I bought a prepaid sim card of Total Wireless (TFW) but it didn't work with my phone. When I turned on my mobile, the final was very weak (only one bar or even none) and then became "no service". When I dialed *73, I got the message "iPhone is not activated". But when I changed to sim card from Thailand, the message changed to "iPhone is activated".

I tried asking for help from Total Wireless and they couldn't fix it yet. So I would like to ask for advice from you. Do you have any idea if there's something I can do to fix it or anybody has bought iphone 6s from Thailand to use in USA? Please help me. Thank you very very much.
    TW uses the Vzw network, which uses an IMEI white list for devices they allow. It's unlikely that a phone purchased in Thailand will work on the Vzw network.

Here's to hoping that I'm wrong and that someone else will have a solution!

If not, if the Thailand iPhone SIM card slot is unlocked, you might want to consider an MVNO that uses the AT&T or T-Mobile network. If you decide to try an MVNO that uses the AT&T network, make sure that it supports MMS on iPhones.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for your reply! I never thought that it would be this complicated

I think I'm going to buy sim card of AT&T or T Mobile. But could you please advise what MMS is??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    MMS=Multi Media Messaging aka Picture messages
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully someone will add any others, but Pure TalkUSA and any Tracfone-owned MVNO that offers AT&T should allow all iPhone features to work.

AT&T MVNOs Red Pocket AT&T, H2O, and Airvoice don't.

The AT&T network might provide better coverage.

The T-Mobile network might provide faster LTE speeds.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for your reply! I never thought that it would be this complicated I think I'm going to buy sim card of AT&T or T Mobile. But could you please advise what MMS is??
    is the iphone 6s unlocked ?? you may need to check with your cellular provider to see if it can be unlocked.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Did you get it at the Apple store or MBK ?
    Many of the phones at MBK are imported from other countries nearby .
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If you’re not seeing a SIM NOT SUPPORTED message when you inset the Total Wireless SIM, your phone is unlocked. Since you didn’t mention that message and say you can dial out (albeit unsuccessfully), it seems the device is unlocked. So far, so good... since the 6S has the requisite LTE bands for all US carriers.

Then since you have a low/no signal, please make sure you’re on Wi-Fi somewhere when you do the following: Reboot the phone and then goto Settings, then General and About. Scroll down and let me know what the carrier says (it might say TFW xx.x, as Tracfone Wireless is the parent company). If it prompts you to update your carrier settings, please let it update.

You shouldn’t need to dial anything to activate your phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Arisara, how did you activate the TW SIM card?

Feedback Score
    My phone is unlocked because I bought it from an authorized reseller of Apple in Thailand and I've been using only prepaid sim card.

When I bought the sim card yesterday, I followed the instructions in the manual by going to TWBYOP.com, entered IMEI number of my mobile and pin number of the sim card. The activation was completed but sim card didn't work so I contacted Total Wireless and a staff told me to dial *73 and then I got the message "iPhone is not activated".

I checked in the Settings and my Carrier is TFW 35.0.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My phone is unlocked because I bought it from an authorized reseller of Apple in Thailand and I've been using only prepaid sim card.

When I bought the sim card yesterday, I followed the instructions in the manual by going to TWBYOP.com, entered IMEI number of my mobile and pin number of the sim card. The activation was completed but sim card didn't work so I contacted Total Wireless and a staff told me to dial *73 and then I got the message "iPhone is not activated".

I checked in the Settings and my Carrier is TFW 35.0.
    Then my original post on this subject was wrong. It TW accepted the IMEI of your iPhone for activation, then I don't know of any reason why your iPhone shouldn't work on TW.

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer additional ideas for you to try to get it working!

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much to all of you for trying to help. I called Total Wireless again and they couldn't fix it. The last thing they wanted me to do is to reset all settings of my phone but I don't want to do that. I will try going to T Mobile to see if their sim card will work on my phone.

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If you have the TFW 35.0 carrier profile, your SIM is recognized and since the phone has the requisite bands, it should work.

So you could try to RESET only the NETWORK SETTINGS

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

This will only reset the cellular and Wi-Fi settings, so you will need to re-enter any saved Wi-Fi network settings. Sometimes this can fix issues like this without having to do a full reset. None of your apps, data, other settings, etc. will be impacted by resetting the network settings.

Also, can you try the Total SIM in another phone that is known to work on Verizon? You don't need to tell Total anything -- just pop the SIM into another unlocked phone (preferable an iPhone) and it should work fine. If it doesn't, it would seem to be something with the activation of the SIM, and not an issue with your iPhone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Strange, an A1687 should work. This is worrying to me because I have an unlocked A1687 that works on RedPocket/Verizon, and I am planning to move it to Total Wireless. My carrier profile (with the RedPocket SIM) is Verizon 35.0.2.

You can use a T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid SIM of course, but the coverage will be much poorer in the U.S. than with Total Wireless.

Sent from my LGMP450 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by smsgator; 01-12-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast